Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 PM

15 posts, read 37,003 times

Advertisements

...okay, sorry for the cheezy "double entendre" referrence in the title, but that's just how I'm always trying to 'stand out' online, so please don't sue me.

Anyway, I'd like to start off by once again thanking those of you who have already given me some valuable insight (both directly and indirectly) into life & existence at Daytona Beach. Thanks to your assistance, "Daytona" has now advanced to the 'Top Spot' in my list of considerations for where I may next chose to resettle on Mainland, USA soil. (But don't you guys have at least ONE "Safeway" supermarket?)

As you're aware, I had requested your help in trying to determine whether studio/efficiency apartment housing was possible for around the $500/mo. range, and several of you have confirmed that this was indeed so. My next question directly relates to this.

Being one who is downright hesitant about using services like "[you-know-who's]-list" (...or as I'm inclined to refer to it: "Scam Central Station"), and given the fact that I'm really not interested in just shipping my possessions out blindly and sitting around in the cheapest motel I can find while I go out trying to secure housing (you see, I've already done it this way several times before, and the procedure gets old very quickly), I'd like to this time try to go the route of a local realtor/property management agency to try to secure housing in advance of any move.

No doubt -- going this route leaves much to be desired (e.g., not being able to physically inspect before acceptance, etc.), but if I could get in on a "short lease," just to get initially "established," then it really wouldn't be that big of an issue.

* So my "follow up" question would be :
"What are some of the names, or where can I procure a list of names, of certified property managment companies (preferably 'local/hometown' operations) who work with 'rental' properties *INCLUDING* studio apartments?"

Thank you again, in advance!
~ aloha & ahui hou ~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 AM

231 posts, read 849,332 times
I'd try finding an apartment complex, possibly furnished, that would be willing to do a month to month......It may be hard to find, but if you had a few months cash to pay upfront they may be willing to negotiate...

That way you could explore your options, and at the same time wait for your stuff to arrive. On a good note, many of the apartment complexes in the Daytona area are fairly nice. (atleast acceptable until you get your feet under you with the new area)

I lived in Indigo Plantation, and it was pretty convenient, plus they had a nice pool, apartments were maintained well enough. I think rent for a 1 bedroom was right around your price range. Don't know about the furnished apt. though.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
I don't believe the TOS for City Data allows people to recommend Realtors or Property Managers. City Data does have a classifieds section which would allow you to ask for referrals of such (at your own risk).

My suggestion would be to check out online the classifieds for the local Penny Saver for Daytona area, Daytona News Journal and online rental sites like Apartments.com, ApartmentFinder, etc.

If you need a freight forwarding company to move, I would search in JAX or Orlando for such, as you would most likely find more experience there for the type of move you are attempting, and they are fairly close by to Daytona Beach. If you use a shipping container, the closest ports are JAX and Port Canaveral. Daytona Beach has it's own airport (DAB), and is serviced by Delta and USAirways.

Also, if you're prepared for such a move, you might as well get used to the fact that things WILL be different. And trust me, Florida IS different. (Kind of like in Hawaii people reminding you of how things were done on the Mainland -- so WHY don't they go back there to where it was so much better in the first place?)

BTW, in Florida we have Publix Supermarkets which are levels above Safeways.

Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
You'll be moving from a place that has an unemployment rate of 5.8 to a place that has a rate of 12.3 and won't have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida