Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times

Advertisements

There is a website forum called Talk of the Villages or some such. (I am not at home to check my favorites). You can ask questions from people who live there and the responses seem on point.

We have looked at the Villages and are concerned about several things. First, there are a lot of fees and the "free" is anything but. Second, there is a current new house inventory of 500 with 50 being added each week and this does not contain the resale figures. Discounts are being made to the listed sales price up to $50,000 off. Third, I dont like the manner in which the finances of the amenities and extras are structured.

I am still concerned with Florida's home insurance and property tax issues and am waiting it out.

I do like the overwhelming amount of things to do. The groups, if they are open to new members, seem to cover any kind of recreational or hobby activity. I like the idea of using a golf cart and not a car.

I wonder about the availability of quality medical care. Dont know anything good or bad but it would be an important consideration.

I love the courtyard homes. Just the right size with a private backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM

6 posts, read 95,146 times
We have looked at the Villages and are concerned about several things. First, there are a lot of fees and the "free" is anything but

Really, this is interesting because we understand that there is a fee for the premier golf courses but the others are free. The issue would be the tee time as it fills up quick.

The $130 fee is suppose to include everything else other than the health club gyms and I think that fee is $5 a visit.

What are the other fees? Do you know?

On my visits to the Villages, I spent a lot of time talking to the residents and did not hear anything negative at all. I was at a wedding recently and the groom's uncle lives there and he and his wife love it. They did not have one negative thing to say about it. As far as medical, they say it's getting better but they go to doctors in Ocala. Obviously, if you have a pre existing medical issue, that would be a concern but like everyplace else, there are good and not so good in everything.

I think there are pros and cons whereever you live but this will be a major life change for us; leaving our beautiful home that we put so much love and labor into; our children and grandchildren who live a block away from us and just starting all over again makes me nervous. But if we want to have a good retirement, it's will not be affordable for us to live in Chicago where you have nice weather maybe four months a year.

If you think of anything else, please post.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM

5 posts, read 23,661 times
Default Kort 677 Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
and then she asked for any additional info, and when I gave her some she got all pissy.

She should do a forum search and maybe she'll find that all her questions have already been answered.
Kort 677... May I ask what a STD is, and what was said to get someone 'Pissy.' I am seriously thinking about moving to the villages, and this is my first visit to the site.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:06 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr_349 View Post
Kort 677... May I ask what a STD is, and what was said to get someone 'Pissy.' I am seriously thinking about moving to the villages, and this is my first visit to the site.
sexually transmited disease, and the OP got upset when it was noted that the villages is one of the places in FLA with a very high percentage of people contracting an STD

Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 PM

6 posts, read 41,726 times
On the subject of property taxes...

In FL(not sure how this works elsewhere) property taxes are calculated by the value of the assessed/just value of your home, as determined by the property appraiser. My house that would sell for about $300,000 right now is only assessed at about $150,000 on the PA's website. When you factor in the $25,000 homestead exemption and other reductions such as amendment 10, it brings the value down to about $50,000 and taxes in Ocala(lower taxes than the villages) come out to about $650

Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM

33 posts, read 151,136 times
I am staying right now in the villages and looked at property all day, rode the trolley tour and have a stack of floorplans and paper work. There isnt ANYTHING FREE in the villages. You even have to pay for a cold drink when spending hours touring the place. They actually gave me a breakdown of monthly costs based on an estimate of a $250.000 home. Taxes are roughly around $6,000, is is based on a 2.5 2.8 percentage rate, they couldnt actually tell me exactly for some reason. CDD assessments are approx $100 to $317 a month, the paper I am quoted says these words exactly, using approximately not an exact figure. The monthly costs of living estimated, (if I wasnt in a hotel room I would simply scan and show you all)
130 contractal amenities fee 21.00 sewer 34.00 water 169.00 average gas/electric 16.00 trasg collection 40.00 basic phone 53.00 basic cable 100 insurance 240.00 average taxes 170.00 development district assessment which is the community development fee i am told that was quoted from 100 to 317 per month total monthly costs $972.00

the $130.00 a month is free golf on executive course and a fee for the championship courses, a nominal trail fee is charged to use your own golf car, free if you walk , over 1000 organized activites every week, swimming , tennis, pickle ball, boccie, excercise pool,. private fishing lakes, (catch and release only) waterfront parks and fitness trails, 24 hour neighborhood watch.

They told me there was no closing costs, but another realtor elsewhere said they always say that but it isnt true, so who to believe? The villages is weird in some ways, the activites are fantastic, but you are a captive audience so there isnt any bargains , they get top dollar in the stores and restrarants. I saw thousands of homes though the sales agent showed me two, guess the choices were limited. I didnt like the new developments as much as the older ones that are sold out. The older ones have more space between homes and they look like same costs neighborhoods, the new ones had very cheap looking homes that I would have sworn were prefabed next to stucco designer homes, I would hate to drive to a nice top line home through streets that looked like cheap hurricane could blow away homes. I just dont get why they did that??? I hated nearly every new house where they are selling but I loved the older phases that were sold out, so again, whats a gal to do? I did see some wonderful homes outside the villages with incredibly low taxes, I didnt understand the differences. Has something to do with inside village city limit and being in the county and the difference was 500 versus 5000. I am headed tomorrow to some other developments, and into ocala to check out the hospital and see what else is around.
I have to say if the villages didnt have the higher taxes, it would be my first choice cause of the activities. On aug 2 , 2007 there was a news article about raising them again for sewer lines and so forth that they dont have the funds for and they stated there hasnt been an increase to the village residence for 7 years, so they think they are justified for a 4% increase. Something to keep an eye on the outcome.

ooops forgot also you are responsible for your own irrigation and lawn care, there is no home owner maintance fees.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,198 times
Default Input on "The Villages"

Hi. I have many of the same questions regarding the Villages. We looked at the "Villas" (not the courtyard ones) that are about 10' apart from each other and made out of vinyl. We were told the price was about $140,000. My husband thinks this community looks like Nirvana, but I suspect it is more expensive to live there than the Villages realtor implied. What is the down side to living there? I actually had a retired gentleman make a comment to me when I asked for directions (I got on the turnpike by mistake headed for Miami) back to the Villages that he and his wife lived somewhere else, because the folks who lived at the Villages were a little "busy" if you know what I mean (his words). I didn't have a clue what he meant by that, but since I have heard about the STD thing, including a medical doctor from Indiana if you can imagine, now I know what he meant by a little "busy." Is it possible to check this out for accuracy or is it an urban legend of some sort?

We have a lovely home in Tampa which I love and am not eager to sell. I would appreciate any input from folks about selling our home at this time (my husband wants to put our home on the market in Jan. 08) and moving to the Villages in June. I'm 8 years younger than him and not quite ready to drink the koolaid yet I think. I also have been doing copious amounts of research on the current market and (duh!) a very bad time to be selling our home.

What would one REALLY expect to pay for the $140,000 villas and can anyone give me an accurate idea (other than the real estate guy) of all of the additional costs of living at the Villages, assuming you intended to use the executive golf courses and be fairly active. What about utilities, taxes, bonds, etc. I MUST know the negatives when I build my case for staying in our lovely home and my husband seems to be blind-sided about the Villages. Driving around in a golf cart is the biggest draw for him I think and possibly saving money. Do properties at the Villages rent easily if you just bought the property for an investment? Anyone have any info on this? How many properties are currently on the market? What are sales histories for the Villas and the rental histories for the Villas (the particular model we were looking at?).

Thanks everyone. I would LOVE to have more info. Quite frankly, I'm looking for the good, the bad and the ugly, but mostly the bad and the ugly. I want some ammunition when I plead my case.

Thanks again.

Mumsy

Old 09-03-2007, 06:21 AM

28 posts, read 152,408 times
Check out Spruce Creek in Summerfield, close to the Villages. Very nice development. The only thing is you are at least an hour from the turnpike...if that is something that might bother you.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,171 times
Hi Nanci,

I'm new to this board and just saw your post. We live in TV (Village of Ashland) and bought a resale (designer Wisteria). Taxes are 1 1/2% of the selling price; amenties are $130/month. If the bond is paid off, you can figure it's been added to the selling price...new homes have a $20,000 bond. Also, it's been our experience resales usually have landscaping done as well as upgrades.

There is congestion in the winter, and as well as the wait (about 1 hr.) at the restaurants. Other than that, it's just a hoot being able to to shopping, eating, and to doctor's appointments on a golf cart. You'll love it.

Unfortunately, due to family illness back north, we're going to be leaving TV and putting our house on the market shortly. It was a difficult decision to make as there is something for everybody here and we love it. Wish the circumstances were different for us.

Good luck to you

Old 09-15-2007, 07:57 PM

33 posts, read 151,136 times
130 contractal amenities fee 21.00 sewer 34.00 water 169.00 average gas/electric 16.00 trasg collection 40.00 basic phone 53.00 basic cable 100 insurance 240.00 average taxes 170.00 development district assessment which is the community development fee i am told that was quoted from 100 to 317 per month total monthly costs $972.00
I was told new housing they dont tell you there is a sewer hook up fee, that you find out at closing. My friend just bought in oxford, she said she is better off tax and costs wise outside the village line but still able to partake of the villages shopping, restaurants and square entertainment and with friends on the inside she enjoys other things as well.
She did tell me look for houses where the bonds were paid, as opposed to fees that are in the yearly taxes. I dont know all the fees as I wasnt looking for a very small sq footage and I was more interested in new construction as opposed to the older stuff, but I like the older homes better, Just because our insurance company said they wouldnt cover and older home but would cover a new construction place.
We drove to leesburg, Eustis and Mount Dora and I have to say those were a breath of fresh air, I would love these places.
Coming from Tampa the insurance would be good for you as Tampa area was higher taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida