Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 5,684 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying I have been reading on this and other forums and understand the job market is rough everywhere. Maybe more so in Florida but I would never make this move without a job.
Before looking for a I am trying to research the area that I believe we would like most so I would like everyone’s opinion. We currently live in Indiana in a rural area my wife drives about 45 minutes to work already as a nurse. I drive a hour and a half to two hours one way depending where the job I am working on is located. I am project manager in the IT industry. So we are ready use to the commute.
What I would like to find out is what communities are out of the city but within driving distance. We don’t want to live in a housing development. We are homebodies so we don’t go to the movies much or need much of a night life. We would like to be within driving distance of the beach.
Thank you for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:26 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
The good news is nearly every part of Florida is within driving distance of the beach, assuming you consider 1-2 hours acceptable. The other good news is your wife will find work.

I would look at the areas ouside the major cities, starting with Tampa. Miami/Ft. Lauderdale don't have much rural except for the Homestead area.

I would suggest finding a job first, then look for housing. It is going to be tougher than you think.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
There are rural communities within that driving distance outside of all the major Florida cities than I can think of, even Miami although I would avoid Miami if you are specifically looking to live outside of it all. The Panhandle may be your best bet, but you can find rural areas that would probably suit you within an hour of Orlando, Tampa and Jax. Worry about getting a job first hen find an area nearly that might work for you.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Gainesville goes from urban core to rural pretty quickly, has a huge hospital complex with Shands, and is supposed to have a decent tech base by Florida standards.

If you want to work IT in the part of the Panhandle that is not Tallahassee, you will seriously increase your job opportunities by tenfold only if you come down here with security clearance already in hand. Most of the good tech work is with the Department of Defense.

But I really think that Gainesville would be the place to start looking for work, and then go 10-20 miles outside of town from there to live.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,684 times
I understand that a good job is a must. But if I look for a job and move to a area a hate then I am not any better then I am now. I would have a good job and hate my location. I was going to try and find some locations to visit see if it was going to be right for my family then look for a job. As I said in my OP I would not risk a bad move and move without a job.

But I am fairly comfortable I can find a job I have 22 years in the industry with good certifications and refrences. And to clarify I am not really in the technical side of the IT but do have exsperience in it. I am in the Engineering and managment side of the IT industry.

beachmouse: I do alot of Department of defense work here in Indiana we actually have a Naval base here in Indiana as odd as that sounds for a land locked state.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:04 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Besides Gainesville you might check out the Jacksonville area. Jacksonville has a wide selection of hospitals to choose from and a decent IT/Tech base as well. The traffic isn't as horrific as other bigger cities in Florida either. Check out the area around Yulee on the north side, close to the Georgia border. You'd be around half an hour from Fernandina Beach or an hour from the beautiful Cumberland Island National Seashore in south Georgia.

Yulee, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of companies in Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mayo Clinic Florida
About Us
St. Vincent's Health System - St. Vincent's HealthCare, Jacksonville, FL
Shands Jacksonville | About Shands Jacksonville
Memorial Hospital - Home Page
Baptist Health of Northeast Florida - Baptist Medical Center Florida - Address and Maps

Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Check out Plant City.. It's the strawberry capital of the world and only 26 miles east of Tampa.

Or, If you're trying to get closer to the beaches check out areas around I-75 south of Tampa, Being from Indiana you may fit in a little better on the Gulf Coast then Atlantic since most midwesterners stick close to the I-75 corridor..

Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM

168 posts, read 394,850 times
Wausman...if you want to live in Florida AND work IT you might need to get serious about consulting. My husband has had a 25 year career in IT; I am a Floridian and he had to work in the Midwest, making 4 times what he could make in Florida. We moved our family back to my home four years ago and he has spent the time working out of the area. IT jobs are few and far between and you won't make near as much as anywhere else. BUT, if your family doesn't mind you being gone for four days, home for three you can make it work; we did. A perfectly wonderful opportunitiy if you could get in would be with Publix in Lakeland. I wouldn't suggest living IN Lakeland but there are several good communities nearby.

Each part of Florida has a different 'flavor' so you have to decide what 'flavor' you like best. Also, you might want to consider colleges for your kids; living in Tally or Gainesville or near Tampa would be good if you want to be 'near' the kids when they do go to school or if you might want to go back to school.

Finally, I am a nursing student (47 y/o but going back to school)...your wife will really want to look at the type of hospital she wants to work in. In my county there are three hospitals but few I know of would go to any of them for treatment and many in the healthcare field will drive an hour to Orlando or to Marion County/Ocala to work because they are frustrated with the medical politics within the hospitals here.

Also, if you are talking country or rural you are also talking the good 'ole boys club; which used to be a good thing when I was growing up but depending on the charector of the town could be good or bad. Feel free to email me if you can narrow it down and I'll be glad to give you my opinion on the nearest and best communities depending on what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida