Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:38 PM

34 posts, read 124,237 times

Advertisements

LHBR702 - sounds like heaven to me!! That's exactly the type of place I'd like to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 06:42 PM

13 posts, read 37,688 times
Sounds a bit like Port St Lucie Florida. They have some great places there near the water that you can walk and enjoy, the developments around the area are quiet and private.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:44 PM

291 posts, read 1,113,895 times
nRitzy - if you find it before me send me a postcard so I know to pack up and follow

Is there nightlife in PSL?

Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 PM

34 posts, read 124,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
nRitzy - if you find it before me send me a postcard so I know to pack up and follow

Is there nightlife in PSL?
LOL - and vice versa

Old 08-22-2006, 10:15 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Winter Park is an upscale suburb on the northeast side of Orlando.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 PM

41 posts, read 245,167 times
I want to move to this walking community too!

Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
Yeah, yeah..I know most will think I'm nuts especially writing from the S.FL area & nobody will believe me, but we have that here where I live. It's the City of Coral Gables...visit coralgables.com for info on this beautiful city full of trees in a Mediterranean revival ambiance.

It's unique it's got all the elements of old world European architecture, friendly neighbors, diversity (& I mean diversity from all over the globe) Even if it's diverse it's funny how one walks outside & we are all different but then again look the same & talk to each other as one. We've got parks, our own excellent police force, the best restaurants, art galleries, old fashioned free trolleys, theater, a new high end mall or there's our old 'Miracle Mile' open air mall that has Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, ice cream, etc. & you can walk thru out and have your coffee in a cafe like in the Old world, reading a book. Everyone walks w/their kids, & dogs after dinner & you can feel safe. Plenty of parks and yes some are (not all) pet friendly w/free waste bags for the doggies. Everybody says hi to you...but then again it's not a snobby place, it's a clean family oriented neighborhood that is unique/w a certain air of refinement & it's orderly. Miracle mile has once a year a farmers market, too. Also a parade for the Holidays...and no we don't have HOA fees nor is it gated. Our police force is very good, & sometimes are out there in unmarked cars late at night. If one ever calls the dept. they fly over in a second. I feel so safe here that I walk late, late at night all alone and nothing ever, ever has happened to me, yes & all right here in S.FL. and the odd thing is that if you were to ever walk or drive at night it's so quiet you'd swear nobody is at the homes.
If you ever come down, this is a must see visit. Just make sure you are here like on the 1st Friday of whatever month you choose to take advantage of open art gallery night - the trolleys will take you to your car & it's all free. No need to really dress up like in seguins, high heels, nor jackets ...classic khakis or jeans and a nice cotton shirt is all that's needed.
For living down here...all this is very possible, just look around the homes around miracle mile (which is S.W. 24st/Coral Way) & Ponce de leon blvd. and you'll be within walking distance to open air cafes, reading books, parks, a Publix, restaurants, galleries, shopping, nightlife in a nice way but not the happening young crowds - that's left to S.Beach. It's a mature type of nightlife but available within walking distance. Ohh, we have 2 local hospitals too- Coral Gables hospital & Doctors hospital. Plus, our beautiful Venetian Pool which is a must to see - one of a kind. The 'Youth center" is great for children (adults, retirees too) and offers membership to its resident for all sorts of indoor or outdoor activities, which happens to be next to our beautiful library with a special section for kids & also has a lovely butterfly garden.
Go to the site and check it out...

Last edited by lulu; 08-24-2006 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM

52 posts, read 302,277 times
Sounds like you need to move to EUROPE!! not Florida...to find such place...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:28 AM

99 posts, read 308,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
Yeah, yeah..I know most will think I'm nuts especially writing from the S.FL area & nobody will believe me, but we have that here where I live. It's the City of Coral Gables...visit coralgables.com for info on this beautiful city full of trees in a Mediterranean revival ambiance.

It's unique it's got all the elements of old world European architecture, friendly neighbors, diversity (& I mean diversity from all over the globe) Even if it's diverse it's funny how one walks outside & we are all different but then again look the same & talk to each other as one. We've got parks, our own excellent police force, the best restaurants, art galleries, old fashioned free trolleys, theater, a new high end mall or there's our old 'Miracle Mile' open air mall that has Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, ice cream, etc. & you can walk thru out and have your coffee in a cafe like in the Old world, reading a book. Everyone walks w/their kids, & dogs after dinner & you can feel safe. Plenty of parks and yes some are (not all) pet friendly w/free waste bags for the doggies. Everybody says hi to you...but then again it's not a snobby place, it's a clean family oriented neighborhood that is unique/w a certain air of refinement & it's orderly. Miracle mile has once a year a farmers market, too. Also a parade for the Holidays...and no we don't have HOA fees nor is it gated. Our police force is very good, & sometimes are out there in unmarked cars late at night. If one ever calls the dept. they fly over in a second. I feel so safe here that I walk late, late at night all alone and nothing ever, ever has happened to me, yes & all right here in S.FL. and the odd thing is that if you were to ever walk or drive at night it's so quiet you'd swear nobody is at the homes.
If you ever come down, this is a must see visit. Just make sure you are here like on the 1st Friday of whatever month you choose to take advantage of open art gallery night - the trolleys will take you to your car & it's all free. No need to really dress up like in seguins, high heels, nor jackets ...classic khakis or jeans and a nice cotton shirt is all that's needed.
For living down here...all this is very possible, just look around the homes around miracle mile (which is S.W. 24st/Coral Way) & Ponce de leon blvd. and you'll be within walking distance to open air cafes, reading books, parks, a Publix, restaurants, galleries, shopping, nightlife in a nice way but not the happening young crowds - that's left to S.Beach. It's a mature type of nightlife but available within walking distance. Ohh, we have 2 local hospitals too- Coral Gables hospital & Doctors hospital. Plus, our beautiful Venetian Pool which is a must to see - one of a kind. The 'Youth center" is great for children (adults, retirees too) and offers membership to its resident for all sorts of indoor or outdoor activities, which happens to be next to our beautiful library with a special section for kids & also has a lovely butterfly garden.
Go to the site and check it out...

Lulu's right. Along with that, it is a nice relatively safe area. Unfortunately, it's also VERY high priced but b/c of the paradise of it comes at a cost.

I can attest to its beauty and convenience though. Before we started paying an arm and a leg for rent and car insurance my husband and I would frequent this area on our bi-weekly 'dates'.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:34 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
ahhh....how romantic

Yes, my neighborhood is not cheap- hopefully, it will balance out and make it more affordable to more people. I could not buy my own house if I had to do it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida