Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I'll stick mainly to the topic at hand here, being a relative outsider (snowbirder from Canada.) I have read the entire thread, and will base my comments on items that I have gleaned from it.

Having just got back from another trip to Florida, I can say I am depressed by how car-dependent the state is. We here in Canada have made many mistakes with regard to public transit--Toronto has fallen way behind in that regard, after being an exemplar in the 70's. But we still have an effective rail corridor (not high-speed, but good), among the major cities in my area, and decent public transit in those centers.

But folks, your entrenched car culture must change--the writing is on the wall. Even if it takes decades or generations to change the patterns of urban growth, it MUST be started now. Public transit systems will develop around the rail lines to support people coming and going and getting to where they want to go.

I also agree that this project will spawn many jobs, and benefit many business that will employ Floridians.

Not sure why few here are talking about only the Tampa-Orlando stretch. This is supposed to go across to the coast and down to Miami, right? Am I missing something?

As for who would use it--what about all the retirees? I would love to be able to hop on a train in Tampa and take it to Ft Lauderdale so I could board a cruise ship. Without driving across the state. Older seniors would especially love this I think.

I think it might appeal to tourists as well, those who want to be on a beach, but want to go to Disney too. Disney would build support systems believe me. And I agree it would open up Tampa to cruise ships providing day trips by rail to Disney.

In our situation, Florida is still a good place to retire (or winter, in our case.) But as we age, public transit options could extend the period of time we could stay, or increase our quality of life.

I, for one, have lived all my life with effective mass transit and good rail connections to various places. Believe me, it *will* improve things, in the long term.

Your highways are clogged. If you want growth in the future, you are crazy not to support this. I know, I know, the country's broke. But if the money is really just going to be given to another state, then it's a no-brainer.
Thank you for that objective post from someone who lives outside the US yet continues to visit our state. The train's first phase will be from Tampa to Orlando with a stop at Disney. Florida is being used as a model for the rest of the nation hence the reason the Federal Government is practically paying nearly all of the costs associated with building it. The second phase will connect Orlando with Miami and much of the SE Florida cities as well.

What many people here in this state don't realize is that International visitors are used to using mass transit in their respective home countries such as you stated above. I thank you for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Thank you for that objective post from someone who lives outside the US yet continues to visit our state. The train's first phase will be from Tampa to Orlando with a stop at Disney. Florida is being used as a model for the rest of the nation hence the reason the Federal Government is practically paying nearly all of the costs associated with building it. The second phase will connect Orlando with Miami and much of the SE Florida cities as well.

What many people here in this state don't realize is that International visitors are used to using mass transit in their respective home countries such as you stated above. I thank you for your comments.
It'd be nice if our country was the size of one of our states, the way germany, spain or france is. The car and highway evolved in the US because of how spread out our country really is.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:13 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
Quote:
They are also used to socialized medicine so I suppose we should change our system to make them feel at home, huh. And, I suppose when they go to the Carribbean they should expect to find rail transit there, too? What the heck does that have to do with anything?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,894 times
Canada does not have high speed rail, and I mean no offense, but someone from Canada is not who we should be looking to for advice.

I'd be ok with some light rail projects in Florida cities. This boondoggle is just a waste of resources.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
chopchop Florida in many ways is the size of many Europeans nations. I am strictly speaking of a high speed rail system for our state. We have nearly 20 million people which is about 2/3rds. the size of Canada's total population (31 million). Florida has the population density to support high speed rail.

bbronston That's quite a idiotic statement about "socialized medicine" and as far for rail transit in the Caribbean both San Juan (tren Urbano) & Santo Domingo both have a heavy rail / subway system now.

Kevin Florida cities are going to need some sort of rail transit eventually but we aren't paying for High speed rail now, the Feds are paying over 90% of the cost with 8 other private companies willing to pay Florida's 10% share of the project. Just because you don't use mass transit doesn't make it a "boondoogle". I would rather have a "boondoggle here than in Iraq as we rebuild their infrastructure at our expense! Now that is a "boondoggle".

Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
What ev...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
chopchop Florida in many ways is the size of many Europeans nations. I am strictly speaking of a high speed rail system for our state. We have nearly 20 million people which is about 2/3rds. the size of Canada's total population (31 million). Florida has the population density to support high speed rail.

bbronston That's quite a idiotic statement about "socialized medicine" and as far for rail transit in the Caribbean both San Juan (tren Urbano) & Santo Domingo both have a heavy rail / subway system now.

Kevin Florida cities are going to need some sort of rail transit eventually but we aren't paying for High speed rail now, the Feds are paying over 90% of the cost with 8 other private companies willing to pay Florida's 10% share of the project. Just because you don't use mass transit doesn't make it a "boondoogle". I would rather have a "boondoggle here than in Iraq as we rebuild their infrastructure at our expense! Now that is a "boondoggle".
Wow, great point MRob. I wish Obama could slash the defense budget in 1/2, balance the budget, and show those screaming about fiscal conservatism where their taxes are being blown (pun intended).

Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,894 times
I would agree that we should end the crap in the middle east, slash the military budget, and bring troops home.

And we shouldn't build trains that ALREADY EXIST.

Why has no one responded to my post about how Amtrak ALREADY RUNS SERVICE between Tampa and Orlando. If it's so necessary, why aren't they running trains all day long now? It doesn't take much longer than the proposed rail line!

Again...we already have rail between Tampa and Orlando. Why aren't hordes of tourists using it? By reading this board, Canadians who are used to rail should be hanging off the caboose of this train, flying back and forth between Tampa and Orlando. Businesspeople should be clamoring for more trains to be added to this service as they really would like to use it.

Why is this train virtually ignored if this service is so needed?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
I would assume no one uses Amtrak because it's $20 round trip per ticket..

Lets say you were someone that had to make 5 trips a week from Tampa/Orlando that's $100 a week not to mention having to pay for a taxi to get from the train station to where you need to go..

A train from Tampa to Orlando won't work for the region because the people that would use it can't afford it.

Didn't there used to be a rail in Tampa that closed because no one used it ?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wow, great point MRob. I wish Obama could slash the defense budget in 1/2, balance the budget, and show those screaming about fiscal conservatism where their taxes are being blown (pun intended).
Do you think any of us fiscal conservatives disagree with that? Just because bush farked up doesn't mean we want obama to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida