Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,778 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a salaried employee and a Vice President of a Condo Board can secretly report some owners to code enforcement. Then other Boards members knowingly keep this information from owners for a year as this action by the employee and board will cause financial hardships on some of the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
I don't know the answer to your question but I have to imagine that your scenario involves several ignored attempts by the board to get unit owners to live within the rules and the governmental codes. If that is correct, I don't see any problem with asking for help from the town or whatever.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Anyone can call code enforcement if a neighbor is breaking the law.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:43 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
why are HOAs so out of control? Some have some real nice decent board members but others make people sell their properties and RUN.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
If you don't break code, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Anyone can call code enforcement. When you buy into a condo with an HOA, you know there are rules and by-laws you'll have to live by and if you don't they have all the right to call code enforcement to get you to comply with the by-laws of the County.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you don't break code, you have nothing to worry about.
Not true, I have seen code enforcement dump garbage and take pictures to extort money. When I confronted one of them he sped away but I got it on video. Of course the county did nothing.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
why are HOAs so out of control? Some have some real nice decent board members but others make people sell their properties and RUN.
They AREN'T [out of control].

Since the Homeowners Association boards and committees are comprised of residents, it's the residents' job to make the HOA the way they want it. There will always potentially be various opinions on things. That's why you VOTE. For example, there's a thread here with a conflict about parking in a handicapped spot. Do you vote to make it a TOW zone or not? There's two sides to that issue; both valid. And changes to bylaws require paying for legal input making it a costly thing to juggle.

The number of homeowners who "sell and RUN" is insignificant compared to the number of people who don't.

And just like other non-HOA human beings, HOAs had their share of issues with funding or life management in the past decade. Some making poor choices in VOTING to not fund the reserves. Or not being prepared for the hurricanes. Or experiencing foreclosures that, through no fault of the HOA...caused problems for the people who DIDN'T foreclose. Water and mold damage from unoccupied units or people who neglected to do maintenance or who were broke when the event happened. And let's not kid ourselves when a resident is in default of their HOA fees, it's a slippery slope and very challenging to decide what to do about it.

Anyway, usually when you see people ranting about HOAs they're renters. They want the PERKS of living there then complain about the bylaws or enforcement thereof.

I'm all for the smallest government power and interference possible - from the Feds to the local; but in this case it's a group of individuals who WANT TO have shared values; that's why you move to an HOA to begin with.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-13-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-13-2014, 03:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
In a previous HOA I called code enforcement on neighbors who had three families (14 people) living in a 1200 s/f 2 BR condo. They had converted the garage to a bedroom and were using space heaters to heat it in the winter. It was a fire hazard. If their unit had caught fire they could have taken an entire block with them. Not to mention they created safety hazards by parking their five cars in designated fire lanes.

I also called child protective services on a neighbor who regularly beat their nine year old son--the kid was covered in bruises.

In both cases the authorities stepped in and things changed very quickly.

In my current HOA I called code enforcement over someone renting a home in violation of the laws in this city regarding rental terms. No short term allowed, yet these people were doing weekly rentals. I proved it by finding the listing for the place on the Internet. I called every time there was someone new there. They would come out and learn that indeed there was no six month lease, and fine the owner. Those fines went unpaid and ultimately became liens on the property.

I have no problem with people renting long term, we have some lovely neighbors who are one one, two, and even a three year lease. I do have a problem with transients. I specifically chose this neighborhood and to live within the city limits to avoid short term rentals in my neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:30 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
[quote=annerk;36484142]In a previous HOA I called code enforcement on neighbors who had three families (14 people) living in a 1200 s/f 2 BR condo. They had converted the garage to a bedroom and were using space heaters to heat it in the winter. It was a fire hazard. If their unit had caught fire they could have taken an entire block with them. Not to mention they created safety hazards by parking their five cars in designated fire lanes.

I also called child protective services on a neighbor who regularly beat their nine year old son--the kid was covered in bruises.

In both cases the authorities stepped in and things changed very quickly.

In my current HOA I called code enforcement over someone renting a home in violation of the laws in this city regarding rental terms. No short term allowed, yet these people were doing weekly rentals. I proved it by finding the listing for the place on the Internet. I called every time there was someone new there. They would come out and learn that indeed there was no six month lease, and fine the owner. Those fines went unpaid and ultimately became liens on the property.

I have no problem with people renting long term, we have some lovely neighbors who are one one, two, and even a three year lease. I do have a problem with transients. I specifically chose this neighborhood and to live within the city limits to avoid short term rentals in my neighborhood.[/QUOTE

Did any of these folks find out you ratted them out? Short term rentals are hard to prove. In NY monthly rentals are legal. Weekly are not. So unless there is a second tenant in same month hard to prove. Also it is legal to let friends and families use your place, finally it is legal under roommate law to rent while you are there a spare room.

If you see four rentals in same month sure it is a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: