Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

So when does the population gauge read "full"? We all know that all of Florida's problems have been caused by population growth, especially from people not born and raised in the state. Do we have to wait till the "big one" hits or for a disease epidemic or total economic collapse before we recognize the problem with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
So when does the population gauge read "full"? We all know that all of Florida's problems have been caused by population growth, especially from people not born and raised in the state. Do we have to wait till the "big one" hits or for a disease epidemic or total economic collapse before we recognize the problem with this?
I agree that Florida does not have the resources to sustain such large populations. Florida is primarily a tourist state with low-wage service jobs and very few professional opportunities. Now that Florida has become far more expensive to live in than in the past, I suspect a declining number of people will move here yearly. I think what attracted many out of state people in the past was the ultra low-priced homes and taxes, but now that is gone and the pay you recieve in Florida does not compensate for the living costs.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:02 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,928,993 times
Growth management in Florida has been a problem for decades. The things that I love about living here are threatened by growth. While Florida has historically passed laws to control growth, these laws have been ignored. Property rights runs head long into growth control. To remove land from the potential of development the state has spent billions to purchase sensitive land.

People will come to and leave Florida, those of us who love it here understand the desire to migrate to Florida. I don't think there is the political will or the financial resources to stop urban sprawl.

When I lived in Naples I saw that the limiting factor to growth was when congestion made it unpleasant. But Florida is a large state with plenty of vacant land and growth is inevitable. The population of the USA and the world continues to grow, so will Florida's

Old 08-31-2008, 09:59 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default Naples

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Growth management in Florida has been a problem for decades. The things that I love about living here are threatened by growth. While Florida has historically passed laws to control growth, these laws have been ignored. Property rights runs head long into growth control. To remove land from the potential of development the state has spent billions to purchase sensitive land.

People will come to and leave Florida, those of us who love it here understand the desire to migrate to Florida. I don't think there is the political will or the financial resources to stop urban sprawl.

When I lived in Naples I saw that the limiting factor to growth was when congestion made it unpleasant. But Florida is a large state with plenty of vacant land and growth is inevitable. The population of the USA and the world continues to grow, so will Florida's
I cannot speak for other areas of Florida, but it does seem that families are moving away and are not being replaced with other families. This seems to be the case in Naples with the declining school enrollments. Of course, these kids could now be enrolled in private schools (personally know one girl), but more likely have moved away (know 2 boys who moved back to where they came from). There is also the problem with the school budget cuts which may prevent families from wanting to move here. Then, too, there is talk that Collier may lose their schools accrediation this year. Add all this to the high cost of housing, few jobs, and it does not make for a very family friendly place.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Florida state does the research, the numbers change year to year, but with all the variables taken into account, the population of Florida continues to grow. See the article.
Is Florida shrinking?
The quote from that story that got me the most was the following...

" Floridians unhappy with life in Paradise today, say planners, haven't seen anything yet. "

That quote tells me that life in Florida will become WAY worse then it is today and Stanley K. Smith, director of the Bureau of Economic and Business Research at the University of Florida says the slow down in growth rate will be until 2030.

That's 22 years away !!!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:04 PM

159 posts, read 456,285 times
I don't know why anyone would move to Florida, especially with children. Good place to visit or vacation but no jobs, crime, large amount of sex offenders, too expensive, etc. The bad definitely outweights the good and I can't think of much good. I was born and raised in Florida and live in Atlanta. I moved to Tampa four years ago.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia1113 View Post
I don't know why anyone would move to Florida, especially with children. Good place to visit or vacation but no jobs, crime, large amount of sex offenders, too expensive, etc. The bad definitely outweights the good and I can't think of much good. I was born and raised in Florida and live in Atlanta. I moved to Tampa four years ago.
To make blanket statements like that for a whole state is ridiculous.

Besides the fact that Atlanta's crime is higher than Tampa's, the median home price is higher and the median income is only about $3000 more per year.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
To make blanket statements like that for a whole state is ridiculous.

Besides the fact that Atlanta's crime is higher than Tampa's, the median home price is higher and the median income is only about $3000 more per year.
I've personally found that homes can be bought in every South East state very cheaply, with the exceptions to North Carolina and Florida.

What helps in Georgia is that homeowners insurance and property taxes aren't as high as they are in Florida.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post

What helps in Georgia is that homeowners insurance and property taxes aren't as high as they are in Florida.
But you do have a state income tax, I believe 5% although maybe higher. Taxes are a wash, they are comparatively low all over the south and only one that really saves you in that respect from one state to aother is Tennessee and maybe Texas.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
But you do have a state income tax, I believe 5% although maybe higher. Taxes are a wash, they are comparatively low all over the south and only one that really saves you in that respect from one state to aother is Tennessee and maybe Texas.
I was going to say, The only states in the South without a state income tax are Tennessee and Florida.

Texas doesn't have one either if you count it as the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida