Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
They CAN'T AFFORD assisted living and there is no government assistance for it. The choice now is home or nursing home.
I realize that. The government should be looking at the least expensive options, but by the same token, the elderly need to understand that the option is the least expensive option and not necessarily their choice of options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 PM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I realize that. The government should be looking at the least expensive options, but by the same token, the elderly need to understand that the option is the least expensive option and not necessarily their choice of options.
I think you're missing the point. If they need financial assistance, the elderly don't have a CHOICE of options because, other than the Medicaid programs I mentioned earlier, their only option is a nursing home and that's one of the most expensive care options there is. If they actually had a choice, no doubt they would chose a less expensive path.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I think you're missing the point. If they need financial assistance, the elderly don't have a CHOICE of options because, other than the Medicaid programs I mentioned earlier, their only option is a nursing home and that's one of the most expensive care options there is. If they actually had a choice, no doubt they would chose a less expensive path.
Did you even read what I wrote?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 AM

374 posts, read 945,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
OK - I must be missing something and yes, I did read what you wrote - no need to be so abrasive, I've been polite. "Government looking at the least expensive options", they may be looking but they are not currently offering full coverage assistance as is done w/nursing homes. "Elderly need to understand that the option is the least expensive option and not necessarily their choice..." The least expensive option is NOT a nursing home. Their choice of options is none - it's either stay home independently without needed care or a nursing home (which is one of the MOST EXPENSIVE options.)

The link offering info about assistance for assisted living is good and an indication that things are improving. It does however have flaws. First, those already in nursing homes probably will not qualify for assisted living (AL) because ALs offer extremely limited "medical" care and mobility qualifications. Second, it does not offer full payment (w/SS/income assignment) to cover all costs, as is the case with nursing homes. Third, we already have financial assistance for in home MEDICAL services which can be temporary or prolonged, depending upon guidelines for continued care which, I THINK, are linked to measured improvement except for hospice care. If someone qualifies for Medicaid I'm fairly sure they will NOT have the financial means to have any choice of options other than what the goverment dictates. Try calling around and see how many ALs currently accept Waiver. I'm guessing very, very few, but since we're talking about Florida the odds should be higher given the 60+ age demographics of the state.

With the exceptions of extremely limited Waiver programs with long waiting lists, the current options are stay home or go to a nursing home.

What did I miss?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM

The government should be looking at the least expensive options. That means the government should stop wasting tax dollars on paying for home care or a nursing home when assisted living is a cheaper and viable alternative. The government needs to stop wasting our tax dollars.

By the same token, an elderly person shouldn't be allowed to stay in their home with home health care simply because they don't want to go to assisted living, unless of course they're willing to foot 100% of the bill.

BTW--Often if a person owns their home, the assisted living facility will accept a sign over of that to pay for the AL facility.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I have to write this.

I responded to a callous comment about relatives and nursing homes. I poured my heart out about my abusive parents and how I would still take care of them. And contrary to the one response that I need to be "talked" to, I still stick by what I wrote.

Anyway, the thread took a turn down the nursing home road, debating something that has nothing to do with the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida