Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 20,787 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a family friendly, safe area to raise a family in the Daytona Beach area in Florida. Preferrably good schools and reasonable taxes. We have looked at both Deland and Port Orange and are impressed by both. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Ormond Beach and Port Orange are comparable "suburbs" of Daytona Beach.

DeLand is a little further out, and not really considered a part of the Daytona Beach area.

However, if you are willing to drive, DeLand is the most family-friendly in my opinion, and generally the most inexpensive. It has an actual downtown, and a lot of old-Florida charm.

"Reasonable" taxes is a relative thing. I grew up in Ormond Beach, but moved to Alabama, property taxes being one big reason. I would NEVER move back to Volusia County unless it was a last resort.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:09 PM

27,223 posts, read 43,942,133 times
DeLand is a great small town though for "quality of schools/family-friendliness" would choose Port Orange, particularly the Spruce Creek area.

DeLand Schools - DeLand Florida School Ratings - Public and Private
Port Orange Schools - Port Orange Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks so much for your responses. Both very helpful! I am officially addicted to these forums as we embark on our future adventure!! Appreciate the help!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccar View Post
I am looking for a family friendly, safe area to raise a family in the Daytona Beach area in Florida. Preferrably good schools and reasonable taxes. We have looked at both Deland and Port Orange and are impressed by both. Any suggestions?
Just want to be clear that the title of your post says "New job in Daytona Beach, DeLand or Port Orange?"

And that you've got employment all lined up before moving your family here, and you're just looking for the right place for your family to settle into?

This info. is missing from you OP -- please advise so we can help.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Default New job

Yes, employment has been obtained. Will be moving down sometime in July. Will be down one or two more times to check out the two towns before we make a decision. The job is in Daytona Beach. Thank you!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:13 PM

28 posts, read 117,264 times
If the job is in Daytona, I would recommend Ormond Beach or Port Orange. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccar View Post
Yes, employment has been obtained. Will be moving down sometime in July. Will be down one or two more times to check out the two towns before we make a decision. The job is in Daytona Beach. Thank you!
Congrats!

Although the focus of your OP was on schools/family/taxes, there's still more questions needed to steer you to exactly what you're hoping for, such as what your present lifestyle is like (we attend church on Sundays, love potlucks, our kids play little league sports, I love bass fishing on weekends when there's time, etc.), where you're from (generally as there are places that are more Southern, Northern, small town/urban minded, etc.) and what your housing budget looks like.

Also, do you expect "move-in" ready or would you consider older neighborhoods that have housing opportunities that need updating/landscaping, etc?

Also, such things as prefer beach activities nearby, or hiking/cycling trails, eat out frequently (or need a modern kitchen to stay home/entertain), walk to things, cinema freak, how close you expect a grocery store to be nearby and other types of shops you frequent, etc. These concepts would also help.

There is a buffet of options out there for you.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 PM

We currently live in Strasburg, Pennsylvania; Amish country. We have three small children, all involved in different activities. We are a very active family, always on the go. We do love the beach, but considering we live 3.5 hours from a beach now; we do not mind a little drive to the beach. We do enjoy the local farmer's markets we have here and we love fresh produce. Access to farm raised meats is also a plus, but not a nessecity. We live in a new home now, but do not mind a home that needs some minor repairs. Fixer uppers are not for us; as we are too busy to commit a lot of time to a house. Thank you Datonadewd for helping us out.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 PM

53 posts, read 223,550 times
Port Orange. More lively family oriented area.

My parents now live a stone's throw from Lancaster Co in Chester Co (about 15 miles south of Strasburg). I grew up outside of Philly. Went to college in Daytona from '99-02. Daytona seems like its all grown up now, really cleaned up.

If you really like Strasburg, check out Deland, but if you need a slight change of pace, Port Orange (or even South Daytona) is an excellent choice. There is a lot more going on around Daytona, plenty of activites for kids (very family oriented). Baseball seems to be big among children, fishing and surfing too.

Daytona still has some of that small town beach town charm in certain areas. I've never lived in Deland, but I'm not too fond of it for some odd reason. There is no comparison to Lancaster down here (ironically Sarasota has a huge Mennonite/Amish population), so might as well live close to the beach, enjoy the sea breezes, seagulls, and sand. There is Farmers markets spread out around Central Florida.

"Horse County" is right below Port Orange around Spruce Creek and town in-between until you hit Osteen and Oviedo outside of Metro Orlando.

Congrats on your job and enjoy Florida.

Bring back Root Beer from Nickel Mines along 896, you will miss HersheyPark too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida