Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times

Advertisements

Forbes.com has just ranked Miami and Orlando as the two riskiest housing markets in the country.

I'm not sure of the scientific methodology behind such lists, but obviously this isn't a good thing. Talk of a Florida recession grows. There are disturbing reports of school enrollment declines and of moving companies moving more people out than in. A recent Yahoo Finance story on best places for empty nesters noted it was time to rethink the age-old strategy of migrating to places such as like Florida. A growing number of states are tinkering with their tax codes to attract them. The long-term solution requires more than whacking taxes and budgets. Done to excess, that only makes the quality problem worse.

It can cripple our ability to upgrade infrastructure, improve schools and universities, and build the kinds of amenities that attract the high-income home buyers we desperately need to bail us out of this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,730 times
By "riskiest market", what exactly do they mean? That it's risky to buy there right now in a downturn, or perpetually risky?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
By "riskiest market", what exactly do they mean? That it's risky to buy there right now in a downturn, or perpetually risky?
Probably risky now and until the market issues and foreign investors turn the green light back on....

Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 PM

262 posts, read 937,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
It can cripple our ability to upgrade infrastructure, improve schools and universities, and build the kinds of amenities that attract the high-income home buyers we desperately need to bail us out of this mess.
I'm sorry but the last thing I want to see a bunch more of the ones who've priced this state out of reach of working people. It was so much better - at least here - before the gated communities, HOAs, McMansions. You might have a low wage - but the cost of living was so MUCH lower. And it was peaceful.

Now? Much as I love St. Pete, it's become a rat-race - so many people wanting more more more. Faster and larger cars, bigger more opulent homes, so sad to see the quaint sleepy beach towns with their mom n' pop motels and the unhurried pace of life replaced by huge condos, massive developments and constant demands for "amenities" and excess.

There were also little beach towns in the Carolinas, back in the 60's. Cute old cottages, very quiet, mostly there was the sound of the ocean - we used to go to these places when I was growing up. I saw a recent picture not too long ago. One long line of condos. I got teary just looking at the mess.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,482 times
Quote:
Probably risky now and until the market issues and foreign investors turn the green light back on....
Exactly. It only takes a few media stories saying what a bargain FL is and get out of the way or you will get run over. People can bring up mortgage rates, taxes, hurricanes, and lack of affordablity and they are all valid points and if people always made purchases logically I would write this state off.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
We need to figure out what to do to discourage the foreign investors from comming here. I would love to see them stay in the countries they have been so successful in.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,186 times
Maybe Florida should learn to set aside and protect what remaining beach front/estuaries/woodlands are still there. They tried the peddle to the metal development plan and it sure doesn't look like that worked so well.

Nobody will want to move there if the whole place is paved over with bumper to bumper traffic and endless sprawl. Most people won't even want to visit.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Infrastructure (like public transportation) and education, sure.

But amenities? Are you sure about that?

Do you want to attract people with high wealth seeking rents or high income?

High income based on what? High levels of debt? On passive interest and dividend income?

Or an economic policy model that allows more room for local, truly productive enterprises of all sizes and across as many sectors as possible?

The time for "amenities" is over. Has our greed for "amenities" brought about a better quality of life for the balance of society?

It's time again to put the nose back to the grindstone, and I don't care how many "babyboomers" are "retiring" in the coming years and decades.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
I'm sure that what the article meant was that it's risky to sit on the sidelines and not buy anything right now, because soon prices will go up and you will not be able to get a loan.

Regarding "Florida's Allure". I guess I never quite understood this. Perhaps because I've lived here all of my life. I've always known that its a big and diverse state. There are many small country towns, several large cities, and lots of suburbs. Florida also has a ton of undeveloped land, believe it or not. Most transplants seem never to get outside of the city limits of the town in which they live, be it Orlando, Tampa, Jax, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. So, they think the entire state is nothing but urban sprawl, when it really isnt.

To me, Florida is just another state. Unless I visit one of the more mountainous states or desert states, it doesn't look and feel that much different than many of the other states I've visited (except in winter, obviously). For example, I was in Minnesota for a few days - I was surprised that the overall look and feel of Minnesota wasn't all that much different than Central Florida.

I think non-Floridian's preceptions and expectations of Florida are simply wacky! Sometimes, I think that northerners preceive Florida as some remote, uninhabited tropical paridise in the South Pacific. I remember some kids coming down from New York City once who hung out with us and one was completely obsessed with all of the orange trees (pre-1985). He looked at me and said "you don't eat those oranges off those trees, do you?". Having grown up surrounded by Orange Groves, I kiddingly replied "not most of the time - I just pick them and throw them at things or people". He figured they had to go to a factory before you could eat them. Another time, I remember some northerners marveling at all of he "palm trees" - basically what we call palmetos. Now, I've never thought palmetos are pretty, in fact I think they are quite ugly. And, as for real palm trees, I don't care much for them either, except maybe Queen Palms. They're nothing but ugly sticks with a spriggat of leaves on top.

Now, I suppose if I ever get up to Alaska and carry on about a glaicer for the first time, some local will probably turn to his buddy and whisper "dumb old Florida boy - you'd think he ain't never saw ice before".

Old 08-10-2007, 04:35 PM

I'm currently in Lexington KY do to work related issues. The housing cost in the city is way higher than Florida. But if you go outside the city limits you can purchase 40 acres for $80K. I'm really thinking about purchasing some land, but I'm concern about taxes.

Talking to the local, they pay on everything (city, state, and deposit on bottles) I have a friend that relocated to Florida without a pay increase, but do to less taxes in Florida he got a $4K increase.

Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side.....

Last edited by sunrico90; 08-10-2007 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida