Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,195 times

Advertisements

ok, so ive finally convinced my partner that moving to florida isnt such a bad idea! now its me having the second thoughts!! ive got such a bad phobia of spiders, i even had a panic attack when i once nearly touched one in the kitchen sink by accident! so its not just a dislike for them, i am terrified! i want to get it sorted as i cant let a phobia stop me from living my dream, im just nervous about moving to a place where there are spiders that are poisonous!! i have a daughter aswell and wouldnt want her to ever get bitten especially by a black widow for instance, although i know its very rare to hear of it, but it has been heard of! i know that if we moved it would be to a house that has no trees or shrubbery or anything next to it, so thats the first thing, and i would have my partner fill in all the cracks outside and in, and i would always leave the plug in the sink whether using it or not. my question is if we do this and have the house and gardens treated every 2/3 months whatever and put sticky pads around every window and sprayed the usual stuff, lavender, lemon or whatever they dont like, would this keep them out of the house????? im not naive to think i'll never see one but just as long as its not the big bastards like brown recluse or wolf spider or black widow or anything like that!! i know there everywhere, and i know people think its stupid but you cant help it if you have a phobia of something!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
If you have a phobia about spiders then moving to Florida is not going to help that phobia as Florida has some of the biggest spiders in the country.While most places around the country do have spiders winter at least keeps them dormant Floridas arachnids are open to welcoming you to Florida all year long.
You might want to look into some desensitizing therapies on your phobias to spiders.
Would have posted a chart depicting Floridas spider species but i doubt you would have appreciated it..

Welcome to the forum
peasedown st john? = The Rock?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:36 AM

219 posts, read 676,997 times
Default Spidees

after living down here for 3 years now 2 in venice, 1 year in east bradenton, i could count on one hand how many i've seen the largest being a banana spider (harmless) sure you see little ones around the garage doors because the lights attract bugs and spidey needs to eat but thats about it spraying yourself monthly around your windows and doors helps,but a professional exterminator on a annual basis is really the way to go. also have your lawn treated for insects is important because it keeps insects away therefore eliminates spiders because of nothing to eat.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,280 times
Our professional exterminator said they don't spray for spiders - they just eliminate their food source. If intend to have a garden, you are more likely to have spiders. I hear alot of opinions about whether or not we really have brown recluse spiders, but we definately have black widows and they can be a real problem if they get settled in.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM

817 posts, read 2,250,628 times
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...are you asking if there is any way to 100% ensure that you won't ever see a spider while you're in Florida? Or is there a way to 100% ensure that one will never enter your home?

If that's what you're asking, then no one could make that promise.

However, I have lived nearly all my life in Florida....grew up here...have kids of my own here....and I can tell you that I've never been bitten by a spider. I'm not even sure I've had one crawl on me. Now, I've seen some doozies...ones that build huge-ass webs that span 10-15 feet...but fear them? Nah.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:51 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
The only spiders I seen in Florida are the harmless little ones that hang around the garage and corners of your house.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
I have been almost 3 weeks and see small tiny ones but nothing big at all so far.

In fact I was warned that I would see all kinds of bugs, snakes etc and thus far nothing.

Not a single snake, not a single large spider, not any large bugs, nothing.

If the home you are going to live in has been properly maintained you most likely wont have the problems.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
We used to have them in our house when I was a kid all the time. My mother called the House Keepers because they ate the other bugs. They don't make webs they just go in closets and stuff. They are not really that creepy looking.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-23-2011 at 05:43 AM..

Old 07-23-2011, 01:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
For some one with arachnophobia suddenly confronting a 6 inch spider could lead to traumatic medical problems,shock and heart attack could be a possibility..

Old 07-23-2011, 01:53 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For some one with arachnophobia suddenly confronting a 6 inch spider could lead to traumatic medical problems,shock and heart attack could be a possibility..
They need to try to get over the fear, it's treatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida