Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 01:02 PM

84 posts, read 229,417 times

Advertisements

this is our forecast today:

Partly Cloudy Dangerous heat index. Outdoor exposure should be limited.

92°F

Feels Like: 107°
word to your mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
What is your locatoin?

What city/state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post
this is our forecast today:

Partly Cloudy Dangerous heat index. Outdoor exposure should be limited.

92°F

Feels Like: 107°
word to your mother.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That list of clothes i listed is certainly not what one would wear if you are just going out for a brief time or if its 20+ degrees it was intended more as a potential of what you could wear as times outside got longer and temps got lower,obviously i should have made myself more clear,that said mid winter temperatures can become lethal if for what ever reason you become stuck outside and have to face the elements in whatever you chose to wear.
As for remote car starters i dont like em as usually the guy who installs them can butcher your cars wiring in the process, they also have a habit of accidental activation and if inside can be a source of carbon monoxide.and also theres the wussie factor..

What were you cleaning off your car windows everyday from october to may if it didnt snow everyday?
Many cars built in the last 10 years have remote start, it is not something that people need to have installed aftermarket.

Also if you are living in many NE cities you are taking mass transit to work and it doesn't pick you up at the door so many have to bundle up to walk and wait for the bus.

If you are driving a car you can just reverse what many say about Florida, you dash out of the house and into the car and then dash out of the car and into the office.

And he was in Alaska, I think that is why he said he was in Alaska.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM

84 posts, read 229,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
What is your locatoin?

What city/state?

sorry. Panama City Beach, FL.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM

95 posts, read 196,765 times
Florida is HOT & HUMID from May - October !

High temperatures are upper 80s to low-mid 90s with heat index making it feel around 100.
Even at night, it's still uncomfortable warm!

I was walking around Miami today and couldn't take the heat! I was sweating so much blahh

Old 08-05-2011, 01:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Many cars built in the last 10 years have remote start, it is not something that people need to have installed aftermarket.

Also if you are living in many NE cities you are taking mass transit to work and it doesn't pick you up at the door so many have to bundle up to walk and wait for the bus.

If you are driving a car you can just reverse what many say about Florida, you dash out of the house and into the car and then dash out of the car and into the office.

And he was in Alaska, I think that is why he said he was in Alaska.
I'll take your word for cars having factory installed remote starters as i've been out of the car buying game for some time.
Those up north that do the rushing from house to prewarmed car to office are the ones migrating to Florida by the thousands,"Looking for the best place to live in Florida" enjoy

Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
It is much hotter than the temperature reading will lead you to believe. I can't tell you how many times I have heard a recent transplant exclaiming that 93º in Florida is not the same as 93º where ever they are from. The news up north does not report our dewpoint, humidity, and UV index when they report the temp, and it leads people to think silly things like it's not really hot in Florida. It is. Some people enjoy it. I am not one of those, but it has definitely gotten easier as I have aged. When I was a child out walking around in the soup I felt like I was going to pass out at any second, but I never did. Now it doesn't bother me so much. Some advice to those hating the heat - first you must realize that you can not fight it. You have to surrender to it. A good friend of mine, native Floridian, used to tell me "get into it!" and he was right, it's a mind trick you can play on yourself and it helps a lot. I do not enoy the feeling of heat, but I can find ways to get into it. For me it helps if I concentrate on all the plants and trees around me that thrive in the heat and humidity. I focus on them and forget all about my own discomfort. Some people do something similar with the sky and clouds.

It also helps a lot to lose weight unless you are already very thin. It helps to not close blinds and hide inside the AC - let the light in at least to keep you cheery. Go out into the heat in small doses - like onto a patio, just until you start to sweat, then go back in and dry off. Repeat when you are up to it again and it won't be long before you are able to tolerate it for much longer periods. Raise the temp of your AC so it is as high as you can stand and there will be less shock when passing from outdoors to AC and back. When I am super hot from being outside I love getting "caught" (really, I just stand there ) in a rainstorm. Walking into AC, fully clothed but freshly "showered" - ah, that feels really good.

Regarding the cars - a guy I worked with once had AC in the seats! Chilled car seats, man I really want that on my next car. Your back and butt, the two places where your car's AC just can't reach. Too bad it hasn't caught on the way heated seats have. Another thought on cars - tint your windows! It is legal in Florida (check the specifics, there are some regulations) and it really helps to keep the car from getting so hot to start with. Use one of those silly sun shields in the front and it will save your dash from major UV damage as well as helping to keep the car cooler.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
Those up north that do the rushing from house to prewarmed car to office are the ones migrating to Florida by the thousands,"Looking for the best place to live in Florida" enjoy
I'm not sure I even know what this means. What are people supposed to do when its 5 degrees outside? Go sledding before going into work?

And you pre-start your vehicle more for the vehicle's sake. The fact that its toasty when you get in is a side benefit.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Let me tell you what it means those that rush from house to car to office dont like the cold, which would probably indicate they dont like winter and are probably the same people flocking to Florida.Sledding before going to work sounds like a whole lot of fun to me and would probably be a good way to get exercise before starting your day, personally i try to get in an hour of cross country skiing before going to work..
As for letting your car idle for more than 30 seconds its a total waste of money and does nothing to increase the longevity of your cars engine, instead of idling your car for 5-20 minutes just use a synthetic oil and drive away after about 30 seconds.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM

623 posts, read 965,996 times
Quote:
Let me tell you what it means those that rush from house to car to office dont like the cold, which would probably indicate they dont like winter and are probably the same people flocking to Florida.Sledding before going to work sounds like a whole lot of fun to me and would probably be a good way to get exercise before starting your day, personally i try to get in an hour of cross country skiing before going to work..
As for letting your car idle for more than 30 seconds its a total waste of money and does nothing to increase the longevity of your cars engine, instead of idling your car for 5-20 minutes just use a synthetic oil and drive away after about 30 seconds.
In the northeast you will need to warm your car up or when you go to drive all the windows get a thin coat of ice just from your breath and body heat. freezing cold outside and warmer in the car = ice on windows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida