Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,693 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Florida and was wondering if Publix hires Full time immedairly or do yo uhave to start at Part itme anyone know? Also anyone have a clue at starting wages in store like seafood clerk, bakery clerk , mimimum wage? What is the minimum wage in Florida? Thanks folks.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
My brother used to work at Publix for a few years while in high school. He started part-time and strugged for over a year for a full time position to become available. When one was finally offered to him, he had found something else. Publix is a good company, but it's hard (at least in our area) to automatically gain full time employment.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:30 PM

76 posts, read 330,146 times
I worked there for a year in the Deli. The department that was always short on people. It is very hard to get full time there. But depending on the store and if they are desperate. I was full time after 6 months working 50 hours a week. I loved the Deli and was offered Assistant Manager but turned it down for college and moved. But Publix is a nice place to work. It usaly takes an average of one year part time than full time.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,168 times
My wife just left Publix not to long ago and I worked there for 11 years.

Very rarely do they start you full time. Unless they desperate. Most full time spots go to working in the deli or Meat dept because those are the less desirable areas but meat dept makes good money reatively speaking.

They do all thier promotions from within for stores(all managers are internal promotions) but prior experience does account for something and you will get promoted faster with prior supermarket experience.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:44 PM

155 posts, read 1,052,693 times
thank you all for your insight

Old 08-16-2008, 08:19 AM

33 posts, read 118,852 times
Great info about Publix thanks to all who responded.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
I know someone who started full time or almost full time at one of the newer stores I forget the name...Green something? You locals probably know what I mean...it's like a Whole Foods knockoff type store...Something Grocer? ha ha sorry, I dont know the name. Wellington.

She's got a raise in 3 months and got a small promotion too. Her only complaint is the stupid grocery store scheduling issue they all do. Trying to split her shifts to maximize her time there but she said she couldn't and that was that. Her favorite part is that she works in her department very very early before it gets crazy with customers lol.

A bagger retiree lady in the Publix told me they always start at entry level but I didnt ask how much. AND she may have been wrong. Alot of managers and companies lowball whoever they can. This was different than a previous 3 month job I had up North in a grocery chain where I started at top. I just asked for that rate and got it....but I was a former store owner with retail experience. I was making 12 something an hr plus differential for overnight from day one in eary 2000.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
By the way, Super Walmart has an overnight crew and I'm pretty sure it's full time. Overnight crews usually are. Publix seems to stock during the day, though.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:28 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Publix starts at $7.00 a hr.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:59 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
Looking to relocate to Florida and was wondering if Publix hires Full time immedairly or do yo uhave to start at Part itme anyone know? Also anyone have a clue at starting wages in store like seafood clerk, bakery clerk , mimimum wage? What is the minimum wage in Florida? Thanks folks.........
Fast track to fulltime now is usually in the bakery. The need in that department is great. They are desparate for bakery managers and assistants too. I have been with them 20 years. The bennies are great and so is the retirement. They never lay anyone off either so that is a plus. They would start you at better than minimum wage depending on the department. I believe bakery was starting somewhere around $8.00 to $8.50. Top "non managerial" pay in the bakery is $14.29 maybe more now.

Last edited by Kim918; 08-16-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida