Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,327 times

Advertisements

Hey all-
Like many others, kinda sad to see all of the disappointing realities of Southern Florida. So, I'm seeking some direction.
I'm a single and very independent mom of 3 looking to relocate somewhere where my children and i can enjoy our lives and the carribean culture without leaving the country. I am very simple and am not looking for some extravagant lifestyle. We currently live in South Louisiana and have spent most of our time in New Orleans, so we are quite used to hurricanes, crime, corruption, and other big city complications, etc. But being rasta-minded and an outdoor enthusiast, i figure Fla. has what we need to enjoy our surroundings. And still close enough to home to drive (vs. Cali where i also consider...). I want somewhere full of latin/carribean culture and beautiful but realistic to live in (especially for my situation). A suburb is fully expected.
Anyway, I'm pretty open, but was hoping that Miami might have an area that would suit us, somewhere kinda liberal, slightly cheaper and simple, full of ethic culture, somewhere that celebrates music and the love of land and water. Ignorance is not a plus, and feeling like i'm headed that way from the threads i've read.
give me some hope!
Jah love.
j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 07:51 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,953 times
I believe Palm Beach County has a lot of Haitians and other people from the islands. The locals on this forum will be able to give you advice on what town. There is a also a fantastic restaurant chain that you will love -- Pollo Tropicale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoffpauir3 View Post
Hey all-
Like many others, kinda sad to see all of the disappointing realities of Southern Florida. So, I'm seeking some direction.
I'm a single and very independent mom of 3 looking to relocate somewhere where my children and i can enjoy our lives and the carribean culture without leaving the country. I am very simple and am not looking for some extravagant lifestyle. We currently live in South Louisiana and have spent most of our time in New Orleans, so we are quite used to hurricanes, crime, corruption, and other big city complications, etc. But being rasta-minded and an outdoor enthusiast, i figure Fla. has what we need to enjoy our surroundings. And still close enough to home to drive (vs. Cali where i also consider...). I want somewhere full of latin/carribean culture and beautiful but realistic to live in (especially for my situation). A suburb is fully expected.
Anyway, I'm pretty open, but was hoping that Miami might have an area that would suit us, somewhere kinda liberal, slightly cheaper and simple, full of ethic culture, somewhere that celebrates music and the love of land and water. Ignorance is not a plus, and feeling like i'm headed that way from the threads i've read.
give me some hope!
Jah love.
j

Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
I think that you should consider, not just Miami-Dade, but Broward and Palm Beach, as well. All have the caribbean culture and I think you will love it there! Broward would tend to be more liberal, I think. Am interested in what others have to say.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 PM

66 posts, read 313,144 times
You may want to think about adding your culture to our land, instead of isolating your children to a place that reminds you of where you used to live in and want to stay only because of your comfort factor. I think you may want to find a place that your kids can learn to be American and still have an appreciation for their family's past. That leaves the field wide open. If you want your children to learn and grow and succeed, you may want to consider many other places than Florida (though, I love Florida).
Consider places that may not be, at face value, easy for you, but may be right for your kids to make their place in this country. My folks did and I grew up in a small Mid-Western town where I was different until I was one of the excepted hometown guys. I can never thank my parent enough for that.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM

thanks! I've visited the area a few times and figured Ft. Lauderdale or somewhere inbetween might be more my style, but not sure, so thanks for the lead.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM

sorry, maybe i wasn't clear. we are american, from Louisiana and lived in several other places, just looking to move again as La. is not fullfilling our hopes and dreams anymore. nothing holding us down here, and we love the culture i wrote of above. that's all....
peace
j

Old 08-22-2007, 09:32 PM

66 posts, read 313,144 times
No, no… I apologize for getting the wrong idea. When you said “rasta-minded”, “latin/carribean culture”, “full of ethic culture”, I must have thought that you were from the carribe. I did not consider that you were just looking for a contrived ethnic location to teach your children that your own culture was not good enough to be authentic for them. Again. Sorry.
Am I correct in assuming that you have no parents that have passed down the family ways? I am so sad for you and your children. Be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida