Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
I sometimes agree with tallrick and I sometimes agree with macguy, but this is one of the rare times we all agree. The towns around the south and west of Lake Okeechobee are not somewhere I would choose to live. If I was an executive with Big Sugar I might agree to live in Clewiston, but otherwise, they are sad, depressed towns. I wish it wasn't so, but it is...and, remember, I chose to set up my retirement near the north shore of Lake Okeechobee, which has some elements of the other towns, but also has enough progressive elements to make it more attractive.

I can't imagine more of a culture shock than traveling from Weston to any of the towns your mention around the lake. I can't speak about the West coast, but anything would be better.
From a local West Coaster, "pslOldTimer" We have lots to offer, but if it's retirement that we all seek, it would make a lovely place to settle down and enjoy your nest egg(?). Although, I'm in the process of relocating to Clewiston, in search of my nest egg. One things for sure, the only way to judge a mans words is to experience the outcome. SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 01:53 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Taxes will be high everywhere. We all hope that there will be tax reform soon. Keep in mind that, even if someone is paying low taxes now, when they move the new owner will pay about 2.3% of the appraisal. I just looked at a home in Cape Coral which was a foreclosure and only $149,900 for a small, 1,200 sq ft 3/2. The taxes were $3,800! I didn't even ask about the insurance since I can't pay over $300 a month for taxes. The Cape is also not a small town by any means.

I would not recommend the towns you mentioned. Like others have said, although there are some nice spots, they aren't well developed and have a lot of poverty and some rough areas. Have you looked at North Port? It's not exactly rural, but it's also not a busy city like Sarasota to its north or Port Charlotte to its south, yet it is only 20-30 minutes to the Gulf. I know some people who live in Lake Placid and really like it, but it's futher inland like Sebring.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-01-2007 at 02:02 AM..

Old 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,955 times
Of course there is some element of the truth to be found in the derogative comments made about living around the lower lake. However, being born and raised in Belle Glade, allow me to offer a rebutal. Having served 20 years in the Navy, I have lived in many different places from Hawaii, California, Virginia and even overseas. Crime is universal and unfortunate events occur everywhere. Small towns are no exception. It would be sad but ironic if someone avoided moving to one of these cities to avoid crime only to fall victim to a serious crime in a different one. As with all cities, there are desireable and not so desireable locations as well as good and less desireable people - from any race.

A decision is easily made once you have enough information. If in the course of your father-in-law's research he came up with Belle Glade, South Bay, or Clewiston as viable solutions to your parents relocation, the next step would be to take a day or two to get a map and allow them to visit the places for themselves. Of course by now you have already visited these areas and have offered your opinion but let them be their own source of information and judge.

Perhaps the detractors of our fair cities were uncomfortable with the demographics of the areas. I think that it is a sad thing to live in fear all your life only to reach the end and realize that your fears were all for naught. Perhaps those travelers who ventured through these areas, and I speak mainly for Belle Glade, should turn off the main roads and see what is on the "other side of town" where there are some "good folk" to represent the entire spectrum of the city demographics.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,955 times
Default Additionaly

Food for thought... If small towns were thriving, they wouldn't remain small towns.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:59 AM

200 posts, read 878,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdavid View Post
Hi. We are trying to help our parents relocate from Pensacola to be closer to us (we live in Weston near Ft. Lauderdale). They want to be in a smaller town and don't mind if it is somewhat rural. They don't have a huge retirement fund so they are nervous about taxes and insurance. My father-in-law suggested Belle Glade, Clewiston, or South Bay. Can anyone suggest areas we should look at there? We are going to drive out there this weekend and take a look. Holiday Home Builders has a house they will build on our lot or theirs for under $100k.

My husband and I prefer the West Coast (like Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, etc.) but after reading some of the info posted here about the $18,000 assessment in Cape Coral for water, etc...I don't think it's worth the visit.

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
If your parents like rural living they will like those towns. Personally, I would slit my wrists before I moved back to a place like Lehigh Acres, Cape Coral, Fort Myers, etc. Some people live in rural areas b/c they LIKE and CHOOSE to live there. Everyone has their own opinion and their own way of living. Your parents might even like Port LaBelle if they are just looking for a small 1/4 acre lot and not a large piece of land. There are quite a few brand new homes on 1/4 acre homesites there for sale. And they are not all piled on top of each other. There are alot of projects in the works for LaBelle that will be nice. The downtown area is on the river and they are making plans now for fixing it up and making it a nice area to shop and dine. I think it will be a very "quaint" town when all is done.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Trouble with those "small towns" is that they are now EXTREMELY overpriced thanks to idiots from nearby cities. Property tax rates are the highest in formerly rural areas.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 PM

200 posts, read 878,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Trouble with those "small towns" is that they are now EXTREMELY overpriced thanks to idiots from nearby cities. Property tax rates are the highest in formerly rural areas.
Fine with me. Keeps everybody else out.
Seriously though, I know that in the "old days" it was the "poor folk" that lived in rural areas but that's not usually the case anymore. It costs dearly now to buy land and live out. You even pay alot more for gas when you live in a small town. It's a choice though. You either want more land or more house. Everyone is different. If it were still dirt cheap there would probably be alot more people moving out and that would not be good at all for the people who like it quiet and peaceful.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,548 times
I grew up in Clewiston and it's a wonderful place to be if given the oppurtunity to move back I would gladly. You have to go and see Clewiston for yourself it has grown and it continues to grow and the sites are beautiful. Remember the old saying you cann't judge a book by it's cover well in this case you cann't listen to a horse trying to make duck sounds now can you. Go see Clewiston for yourself I'm sure you'll find something to love about it.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,779 times
I hear Clewiston is nice and affordable as is Okeechobee. Sure there are poor rednecks but there are also lots of older people in mobile homes leading a simple no frills lifestyle. There are a lot of stores and restaurants also. If you are older on only a fixed income these should do.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
Anything south of Highlands County (Avon Park, Sebring and Lake Placid) is nasty. Agree with the other posts.

There are a lot of retirees in Highlands County. Small town - low crime. Sebring has golf courses, fishing, hiking and just about every store you'd want to shop in except for Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida