Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 31,431 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are trying to help our parents relocate from Pensacola to be closer to us (we live in Weston near Ft. Lauderdale). They want to be in a smaller town and don't mind if it is somewhat rural. They don't have a huge retirement fund so they are nervous about taxes and insurance. My father-in-law suggested Belle Glade, Clewiston, or South Bay. Can anyone suggest areas we should look at there? We are going to drive out there this weekend and take a look. Holiday Home Builders has a house they will build on our lot or theirs for under $100k.

My husband and I prefer the West Coast (like Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, etc.) but after reading some of the info posted here about the $18,000 assessment in Cape Coral for water, etc...I don't think it's worth the visit.

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
You need to take a drive up highway 27, from South Bay to Moore Haven. It's a poor area with high unemployment and you don't even want to go up highway 80 to Belle Glade. A few years ago it was worth living there for the low property prices but now idiotic speculation drove up prices to an unsustainable level. There's a surprising amout of crime out there too. If prices return to 2002 levels I say go for it, otherwise stay far away.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdavid View Post
Hi. We are trying to help our parents relocate from Pensacola to be closer to us (we live in Weston near Ft. Lauderdale). They want to be in a smaller town and don't mind if it is somewhat rural. They don't have a huge retirement fund so they are nervous about taxes and insurance. My father-in-law suggested Belle Glade, Clewiston, or South Bay. Can anyone suggest areas we should look at there? We are going to drive out there this weekend and take a look. Holiday Home Builders has a house they will build on our lot or theirs for under $100k.

My husband and I prefer the West Coast (like Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres, etc.) but after reading some of the info posted here about the $18,000 assessment in Cape Coral for water, etc...I don't think it's worth the visit.

None of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Glade,_Florida

Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
I sometimes agree with tallrick and I sometimes agree with macguy, but this is one of the rare times we all agree. The towns around the south and west of Lake Okeechobee are not somewhere I would choose to live. If I was an executive with Big Sugar I might agree to live in Clewiston, but otherwise, they are sad, depressed towns. I wish it wasn't so, but it is...and, remember, I chose to set up my retirement near the north shore of Lake Okeechobee, which has some elements of the other towns, but also has enough progressive elements to make it more attractive.

I can't imagine more of a culture shock than traveling from Weston to any of the towns your mention around the lake. I can't speak about the West coast, but anything would be better.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:23 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
I would also agree,all those towns around the lake are not where you want to be.Somewhere on the west coast would be a much better choice!!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
kcm

68 posts, read 249,135 times
Check out your other thread on this subject... I put a post on that one ... check it out ....

Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 PM

246 posts, read 1,019,163 times
None of the above. I don't even like driving through those towns.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Lakeport is a much better choice. It's a bit further north of where your looking, but affordable, rural, and not nearly the crime rate.

Nice people around there... lots of mid-westerner's who like to fish the
Big _O.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:41 AM

345 posts, read 977,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdavid View Post

Belle Glade, Clewiston and South Bay are all very economically depressed areas. I wouldn't recommend moving there unless you absolutely had to. Whenever I've driven through Belle Glade, I get very sad seeing such a seemingly downtrotten town.

You might want to look into the Town of Okeechobee area. It's small, rural and pretty inexpensive, but from my experience it doesn't seem to suffer from the same high levels of abject poverty as the towns on the south side of the lake. It's no Palm Beach, but if you are looking for a cheaper inland solution, it's a possibility.

Lake Placid, as someone mentioned, also bears some consideration.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
Going a bit more north on US 27,Lake Wales and Sebring don't look too bad.But definitely stay away from Belle Glade,Clewiston and South Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida