Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM

162 posts, read 242,265 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I will be retiring in a few years and I have a passion for golf, although my skills don’t always demonstrate this. I have Florida in my sights for retirement. My location preferences in priority order are to retire on #1 the Atlantic side, # 2the Gulf side, and lastly in between. I am divorced so there will be only my Social Security and what funds I have in addition to that. I plan on purchasing an affordable small condo or house. I want to join a 72 par golf country club but I have to be realistic on the membership fees. I am avoiding something like the Villages for even though they have golf courses, the vast population of those areas, I'm guessing, make for competitive tee times reservations (too many players, not enough tee times available).

Has anyone done research on affordable golf country club fees on a reasonably nice competitive golf course? The bottom line, I suppose, is trying to live within my budget and also trying to meet my social needs by joining a club where over time I can make friendships.

Feedback, both good and bad, is appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you,
Frank
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Patrick Air Force Base (Melbourne/Satellite Beach, Fl) on the Atlantic coast has opened it's great course (Manatee Cove) to civilians. When we moved last year, I was paying an unbeatable $800 per year ... which included green fees (except for a $2-3 adjustment in off season) ... and even a storage bin for clubs.
I wish I still had access to a similar course/fee arrangement - The best I can do here is about $2400!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM

That's perfect. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Patrick Air Force Base (Melbourne/Satellite Beach, Fl) on the Atlantic coast has opened it's great course (Manatee Cove) to civilians. When we moved last year, I was paying an unbeatable $800 per year ... which included green fees (except for a $2-3 adjustment in off season) ... and even a storage bin for clubs.
I wish I still had access to a similar course/fee arrangement - The best I can do here is about $2400!
Most likely you'll need a cart per round, especially in the FLA heat ($15/round).

I'm going to recommend that you look into Kings Point at Sun City Center. Their course is run by Clublink. They have nice facilities, have several different golf groups that you can join in on (or play alone or find your own group/foursome). The courses aren't overly crowded like I hear about the Villages. The drawback is that the rate is about $300/month, including golf cart trail fees (bring your own cart). http://en.clublink.ca/assets/pdf/PriceGuide_CentralFlorida_ENG.pdf (broken link)

Parent company is Clublink out of Canada (ClubLink (http://en.clublink.ca/membership/ - broken link)). The Kings Point and Sun City Courses that you access to include Sceptor (18 hole), Falcon Watch (27-holes, three nines), Sandpiper (27 holes, three nines), and a couple of executive nines along w/ Renaissance (I think). The regular courses are challenging courses and not necessarily the retiree's pitch and putt type of courses.

Tampa is about 20-30 mins away, big airport, beaches not too far (45 mins), Bradenton, Sarasota nearby. Major league sports, Broadway plays, etc etc.

Might even be able to get some free golf if you volunteer or work at the course (range pickups, pro shop).

Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Kings Point Sun City Center, Florida

Sun City Center Real Estate & Sun City Center Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Default $3600 vs $800 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Most likely you'll need a cart per round, especially in the FLA heat ($15/round).

I'm going to recommend that you look into Kings Point at Sun City Center. Their course is run by Clublink. They have nice facilities, have several different golf groups that you can join in on (or play alone or find your own group/foursome). The courses aren't overly crowded like I hear about the Villages. The drawback is that the rate is about $300/month, including golf cart trail fees (bring your own cart). http://en.clublink.ca/assets/pdf/PriceGuide_CentralFlorida_ENG.pdf (broken link)

Parent company is Clublink out of Canada (ClubLink (http://en.clublink.ca/membership/ - broken link)). The Kings Point and Sun City Courses that you access to include Sceptor (18 hole), Falcon Watch (27-holes, three nines), Sandpiper (27 holes, three nines), and a couple of executive nines along w/ Renaissance (I think). The regular courses are challenging courses and not necessarily the retiree's pitch and putt type of courses.

Tampa is about 20-30 mins away, big airport, beaches not too far (45 mins), Bradenton, Sarasota nearby. Major league sports, Broadway plays, etc etc.

Might even be able to get some free golf if you volunteer or work at the course (range pickups, pro shop).
Sounds like you've got a stake in Clublink? -- Re: Carts; the rate at Patrick, Manatee is $12, but, they allow walking carts, which is what I and many used --- without much of a heat problem (the course is relatively flat, except for elevated greens; greens and tee boxes are relatively close; there is plenty of shade).

While we're on the subject, does anybody know of a reasonable rate on a golf couse in the Destin area???

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks, I'll poke around and see what they have.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sounds like you've got a stake in Clublink?
I don't, but I have played their courses and know people who live in the community and enjoy the golf. There's a lot of very good golfers in the Kings Point community - as well as other levels. Great retirement community, imo.
The courses are challenging as well (I'm a 10 HCP).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida