Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
So let them waste THEIR money. Are now under the thinking that we should be regulating how they choose to spend their money. This is a free market economy.
This is a mixed market economy, not a free market economy.

The government tells businesses everyday what to do with their money. A business just cannot build an airport wherever they like; a port; industrial facility; freeway; heck you cannot even add a room to your house without the government's permission.

All of the above are regulations telling a business (or you) what and where you can spend your money.

And being this project has the potential to impact commerce, of course the government is going to have a say as at the end of the day, it is the government that is going to be held accountable for infrastructure by the voters, and this is the infrastructure in which the economy is based, revenue is obtained, and that revenue is what national security depends on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention that most tourists probably won't travel between the two cities on their trip. "Hey guys, let's fly in to Miami then hop a train to Orlando.".... no.
How much time have to spent researching Florida tourism to come to this conclusion? Or is this more of a hunch on your part?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
Note that this is "Florida East Coast Industries" who wants to create the high-speed rail line, not FEC the railroad company.

The fact that it's a small real estate company that thinks they're going to create a $1billion high-speed rail line makes me skeptical that it will ever happen.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Note that this is "Florida East Coast Industries" who wants to create the high-speed rail line, not FEC the railroad company.

The fact that it's a small real estate company that thinks they're going to create a $1billion high-speed rail line makes me skeptical that it will ever happen.
I agree, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that one.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
How much time have to spent researching Florida tourism to come to this conclusion? Or is this more of a hunch on your part?
How much time have you spent?

Alright then.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:

Alright then.
Are you a Native Floridian ? How long have you lived in Florida ? Not trying to be smart or anything, just curious

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post

It's a subsidary, so it's reported. Im not so skeptical, what gets me is that it KAPOOFed OUT of no where. And Living in Orlando, our Central Florida Transit officals basically hit a "WTF"? because nothing had been known about it. But they did move on with plans to get the intermodal center at OIA built, which was designed to hold a rail connection from ORL to MIA so it allows one to think there is a lot of under the table bull**** going on lol.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Quote:

Alright then.
Answering a question with a question doesn't strengthen your argument. I never made any claims that tourists would or would not use the route...you did, and quite definitively. I am simply asking what basis do you have to say that tourists would not want to visit Orlando and Miami in the same trip?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Answering a question with a question doesn't strengthen your argument. I never made any claims that tourists would or would not use the route...you did, and quite definitively. I am simply asking what basis do you have to say that tourists would not want to visit Orlando and Miami in the same trip?
My very unscientific poll of family and friends visiting FL says otherwise. It's more like they can't visit FL without seeing both Orlando and Miami. Anyone of my family or friends who comes to visit Florida for any longer than 3 days make time to visit both places. It's as if they think all Florida is made of, Disneyworld and Southbeach, everything else to them is just a landbridge in between.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 PM

129 posts, read 448,282 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if it's initially funded by private money. It's still a waste of money. It'll create jobs... that's about the only good thing I can see coming out of it.

Are Miamians really lining up in droves to hop a train to Orlando (or vice versa)? I just don't see it.
Tourists will use it if they want to see both cities and not have to worry about driving. Lots of people visiting Miami wouldn't mind hitting up a theme park for a day or two. Central Florida gets 50 million visitors a year. Trust me people will use it.

Where light rail screwed up in the 1st place was not having the first leg between Miami and Orlando. Tampa to Orlando is so close in distance anyway, it wasn't practical. It's just as quick to drive your own car. Not the case with Miami and Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida