Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM

31 posts, read 51,563 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...this is my first ever post on city-data. So here is a little of my background. Currently, I live in Connecticut. I can't stand it here! EVERYTHING here is too expensive! I got married about a year and a half ago, and my wife and I are considering a move down south. I've been to Florida many many times and I absolutely love it. I have spent alot of time in Vero Beach and it's beautiful. Only drawback with vero is that there isn't much to do, but I kind of like that small town feel.

We have been looking at palm coast and the Orlando area. I don't really know muh about palm coast but I have been there a couple times and I like the proximity to the beach. My wife and I are also Portuguese and know that there is a large Portuguese population in palm coast. As for Orlando, we've been looking in the dr. Phillips area and I have read good things about the school system and it seems relatively safe. Where should we go? My wife is in nursing school and I would like to try and get into law enforcement. In CT, there isn't much available for anything involving law enforcement now and there won't be anytime soon. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I don't know what the job prospects for law enforcement are but I can say that demand for medical in Orlando is high and going higher. But the thing you have to consider is you really are considering apples and oranges here. Palm Coast is small coastal town. Nice small town feel, beach nearby, but obviously less jobs and things to do. Orlando is landlocked major city. Faster paced, more jobs, more entertainment options but all the drawback of a major city...congestion, traffic, crime, etc. Both areas are nice given the pros and cons. You may want to consider East Orlando as a compromise (Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park). It's in Orlando which increases your employment opportunities but also close to the Atlantic coasts. You could also consider the northern suburbs of Orlando (Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, Wekiva/Sweetwater, Longwood) are all nice areas that people who Dr. Phillips usually also consider and it's only about 45 min drive to Daytona Beach. Obviously both areas have a sizeable Portugese population but it seem much less in Orlando because of the large Spanish speaking Hispanic population here.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Yeah...I know my wife will find work, more worried about me finding something. Are policer officer jobs in high demand or even corrections officer jobs? I would love to start landscaping though, I have my own landscaping company right now here in CT but there are landscapers everywhere down there. Is there a nice town that's safe and has good schools outside of Orlando, closer to the ocean?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCT View Post
Yeah...I know my wife will find work, more worried about me finding something. Are policer officer jobs in high demand or even corrections officer jobs? I would love to start landscaping though, I have my own landscaping company right now here in CT but there are landscapers everywhere down there. Is there a nice town that's safe and has good schools outside of Orlando, closer to the ocean?
Yes, the towns I mentioned.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCT View Post
Hello everyone...this is my first ever post on city-data. So here is a little of my background. Currently, I live in Connecticut. I can't stand it here! EVERYTHING here is too expensive! I got married about a year and a half ago, and my wife and I are considering a move down south. I've been to Florida many many times and I absolutely love it. I have spent alot of time in Vero Beach and it's beautiful. Only drawback with vero is that there isn't much to do, but I kind of like that small town feel.

We have been looking at palm coast and the Orlando area. I don't really know muh about palm coast but I have been there a couple times and I like the proximity to the beach. My wife and I are also Portuguese and know that there is a large Portuguese population in palm coast. As for Orlando, we've been looking in the dr. Phillips area and I have read good things about the school system and it seems relatively safe. Where should we go? My wife is in nursing school and I would like to try and get into law enforcement. In CT, there isn't much available for anything involving law enforcement now and there won't be anytime soon. Thanks in advance for your help!
Given your desire for safety and a small town feel I would much recommend Palm Coast over Orlando. The large Portuguese population will help you adapt quickly and provide a good social network for you. Anything healthcare related has decent job prospects in this state and landscaping is an enormous business here, especially if one has experience and speaks English fluently. I can't speak to law enforcement opportunity but doubt there would be much difference between the two areas in terms of the ratio of openings and number of applicants.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM

55 posts, read 154,903 times
Hi! Funny to see your post since we are from Connecticut (Fairfield) as well and right now in palm coast checking everything out. My husband is Portuguese as well, I am Italian and so far, we are loving Palm Coast. It is absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 PM

55 posts, read 154,903 times
Wanted to add that we too are attracted to PC because of the small town feel and I know my husband cannot live without a Portuguese club!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Have you thought about Miami. I'm thinking about Old Lisbon in South Miami as I read this. MMMM.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicaldreams View Post
Wanted to add that we too are attracted to PC because of the small town feel and I know my husband cannot live without a Portuguese club!!!
I know the feeling! It's just nice when thinking about making such a big move, knowing that you can still find the comforts of home...Portuguese restaurants, bakeries, Portuguese church and club...nice to know we wouldn't lose that. We have been to palm coast and we love it. And home prices can no be beat. The average home in palm coast, if that same home was for sale in CT, it would easilly cost over 350k! Taxes are much cheaper and groceries too. Some things are the same price but generally, it's much cheaper. I know you also make alot less but IMO its worth it. CT is just too much. It's such a small state and probably one of the most expensive states to live in. It's horrible. Only thing CT has going for it is that it's a short drive to Boston and NYC. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing in the state. New London used to be nice and now it's over run by severe drug addicts everywhere! Time will tell I guess. Good luck on your search as well!!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Have you thought about Miami. I'm thinking about Old Lisbon in South Miami as I read this. MMMM.
I have thought about it but my wife would really like to stay away from south Florida. She is scared to death of hurricanes and when we went to palm coast the first time 2 years ago, there was a home builder that is a family friend. He has been in PC for over 30 years and he said he experienced 1 hurricane in all his time there. He said they have gotten a few tropical storms, but because PC is more up north in Florida, they don't get hit very hard hurricane wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida