Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM

77 posts, read 210,757 times

Advertisements

Okay let me start off here by saying I'm from Philadelphia, PA, I'm 19, and I am going to be going to college to become a teacher.

Anyways.. I do not like Philadelphia or the area at all (No offense to fellow Philadelphians.. I have nothing against you.. it's all opinion.) so I asked my grandparents who live in the Southside of Jacksonville if I could live with them and attend college there instead, and they said yes.. and I have a flight to go there this weekend to atleast check it out for a week and if I decide to stay I will have my parents send my stuff out there and apply to school.

Anyhow I have a few questions...

I've been "ghosting" the Florida forums and a lot of people have been saying Jacksonville is a dump, it's full of rednecks, blah blah blah.. is this true? I'm going to be living by San Jose/Mandarin so hopefully I don't encounter the problems some people are having.

I went to LA in November.. and I was there for about a week.. I was going to try to move there on my own and go to school there, but that's drastic and I figured living rent free was the much smarter decision. I loved SoCal.. is Northern Florida anything like it?

I also heard that it's extremely boring there.. but I don't really care because I'm usually bored here as well. Is it really "boring" there?

Is Florida a good state to settle down in?

The summer heat.. 90-95 compared to 83-90 every summer like I'm used to can't be THAT bad, right?

Thanks.. I leave in a few days so I had a few questions. I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Jacksonville is nothing special and a fairly boring city. It's a mid sized metro. Summers will be more humid but it will be fine. Jacksonville is a southern city. If you are thinking it is anything like any part of coastal California or anything like Miami/South Beach it is not. Nothing like those places. It's a southern city. Philly has a lot more to do than Jacksonville that is for sure. You can't compare the two cities.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Jacksonville is the largest city land wise, just doesn't have that many people compared to large cities like LA or NYC. Because it's so close to Georgia it's got a lot of the Southern Georgia mentality, conservative, religious people. Northern Florida is nothing like Southern California. If you loved Southern California, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Tampa is closer to SoCal. I have friends that moved to Jacksonville after college and have stayed because they love it there. I couldn't live there personally. The best thing is to go and visit like your going to do.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM

145 posts, read 237,957 times
I personally think that a city/town is as boring as you make it. I grew up military and kept up the nomadic lifestyle once I became an adult, so I have lived in a ton of different places. And it ultimately comes down to you make your life your own. If you want to sit inside all day and complain about how boring a place is, well then it is boring lol. I've seen a lot of the same posts about Jacksonville, but from all of the research I have done, it seems like a place that has a lot to do. I like the outdoors so it seems perfect for me. Lots of kayaking, SUP, trails, the beach. And from what I have been reading about the popular neighborhoods in the city, there is a lot of stuff to do too. Life is really what you make of it. But again, that's my own personal opinion.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
It always cracks me up to hear people say Jacksonville is "all redneck and boring" which is a clear sign they're going off of someone else's viewpoint and have probably never set foot in the city other than whizzing through on I-95, especially people casting stones from cities that have some real ghetto-like aspects (Miami for instance). Jacksonville has a wide variety of restaurants, bars/clubs, shopping, cultural/sporting events, concerts, fairs....just like any other mid-major city if one has the desire to explore versus talking smack. The city has some nice, thriving in-town neighborhoods like San Jose, Mandarin, Springfield, Arlington, Riverside, Avondale and parts of downtown. The beach towns to the north and east (Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach, Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra Beach and Jacksonville Beach) are very nice as well. Summer there is like anywhere in the south and will be less hot/humid than other places in Florida, particularly near the water. FYI, I lived in Philly for 7 years and found it boring since I didn't find the obnoxious Philly sports scene interesting or have an infatuation with living among dirty trash-filled streets and rude people. I think you'll find Jacksonville to be a breath of fresh air (literally) from living in Philly. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:56 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdweaze View Post
I personally think that a city/town is as boring as you make it. I grew up military and kept up the nomadic lifestyle once I became an adult, so I have lived in a ton of different places. And it ultimately comes down to you make your life your own. If you want to sit inside all day and complain about how boring a place is, well then it is boring lol. I've seen a lot of the same posts about Jacksonville, but from all of the research I have done, it seems like a place that has a lot to do. I like the outdoors so it seems perfect for me. Lots of kayaking, SUP, trails, the beach. And from what I have been reading about the popular neighborhoods in the city, there is a lot of stuff to do too. Life is really what you make of it. But again, that's my own personal opinion.
Exactly! Rep points for you!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Exactly! Rep points for you!
LOL yaay! Thanks! Yea I have definitely lived in cities that aren't my cup of tea. Memphis being one, I hated New Orleans. But for the most part, I try to make the best of where I am living. I personally can not WAIT to check out everything Jacksonville has to offer... I'll be there visiting sometime in August. And then I booked a condo on the beach for Christmas, REALLY can't wait for that trip!

Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It always cracks me up to hear people say Jacksonville is "all redneck and boring" which is a clear sign they're going off of someone else's viewpoint and have probably never set foot in the city other than whizzing through on I-95, especially people casting stones from cities that have some real ghetto-like aspects (Miami for instance). Jacksonville has a wide variety of restaurants, bars/clubs, shopping, cultural/sporting events, concerts, fairs....just like any other mid-major city if one has the desire to explore versus talking smack. The city has some nice, thriving in-town neighborhoods like San Jose, Mandarin, Springfield, Arlington, Riverside, Avondale and parts of downtown. The beach towns to the north and east (Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach, Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra Beach and Jacksonville Beach) are very nice as well. Summer there is like anywhere in the south and will be less hot/humid than other places in Florida, particularly near the water. FYI, I lived in Philly for 7 years and found it boring since I didn't find the obnoxious Philly sports scene interesting or have an infatuation with living among dirty trash-filled streets and rude people. I think you'll find Jacksonville to be a breath of fresh air (literally) from living in Philly. Good luck!
Any mid-sized metro has stuff to do. I agree with you that it is what the person makes it. But for the OP to say he wants something like Coastal California I just want to make sure the OP does not think Jacksonville can even compare. If the OP is bored in Philly he will probably be bored in JAX too. Philly has much much more to offer. JAX is a mid-sized southern metro, nothing special, nothing horrible. Just be ready to live in the South and not a place like LA or Miami which I what I think the OP is leaning at thinking JAX is like.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Any mid-sized metro has stuff to do. I agree with you that it is what the person makes it. But for the OP to say he wants something like Coastal California I just want to make sure the OP does not think Jacksonville can even compare. If the OP is bored in Philly he will probably be bored in JAX too. Philly has much much more to offer. JAX is a mid-sized southern metro, nothing special, nothing horrible. Just be ready to live in the South and not a place like LA or Miami which I what I think the OP is leaning at thinking JAX is like.

Fair enough, I see your point :-)

Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM

52 posts, read 62,016 times
I was there back in 2004.. Honestly I want a place where I'm surrounded by decent people with positive views, a place where I can enjoy myself.. A place where I'm not scared to walk outside at night, honestly I disregard all of the posts that say Jax is boring because really, every city, even a place like Green Bay, has everything any other city would have to do. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs do bars and such aren't even a necessity to me. I really hope I enjoy Jax because I honestly do not like the Northeast after being in LA last year. I like the way LA was.. It was a big city yet it was still a small city and the people were friendly, the weather was decent and I was happy. Im excited to go tomorrow.. I hope I enjoy it as much as I think I will. But to be honest in the future, after college, ideally I want to live in the Miami area; somewhere in SoFlo. However, if I love Jax like I think I will, I'm staying. I visited in 04 when I was 12 years old and it was.. Beautiful and the people were amazing. But I'm eager to see what I'll think of it within the next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida