Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:46 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times

Advertisements

I live in what is considered a "decent" part of West Palm Beach in the middle of the city and there is still crime here. The sad thing is it wasn't here a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
Having lived in South Florida (WPB) and North East Florida, both for extended periods of time, here's what I think:

South Florida seems to be a very transient place- people move there expecting palm trees, hammocks and good times. When the real deal hits them- low wages, crime, run down neighborhoods, every high cost of living- they bail out and go back "up north" or move to another part of the state.

North East Florida, on the other hand- (Jax, St. Aug) seems to draw people who are more stable, less transient and more prepared for real life than thinking life will be a vacation.

If you're looking for a place to settle down and build a life, I strongly recommend the Jacksonville area. However, if this move is one of many that you plan and you want to live the resort life for a few years, do the So. Fla thing.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith0846 View Post
Hello, I currently live in Boston, MA and I'm planning on relocating to either Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or Jacksonville in about 6 months. I'm a single female in my mid 20's and will be moving on my own and was hoping for a little guidance in making my decision. I'm looking for more of a city type setting, but still want to be very close to the beaches.

My main concern is safety. I've read through a lot of threads and it looks like every city has its good areas and bad areas, but overall which city would be my best bet as far as crime is concerned.

I work in HR and have already started networking for positions but I wouldn't mind some advice on which city is the best as far as careers are concerned. (which city will provide the most initial opportunities and opportunities for career growth...the bigger the companies the better)

I know a few people in each area, but for the most part won't have any kind of social network. Which city would one recommend as far as being able to meet individuals in social settings.

If you have any more insight on any of these options, please let me know! The more information the better
First do a cost of living analysis before you move and I wouldn't take too much data online as being totally accurate. A lot of people move here are blinded by the light and soon realize they made a mistake.

Big companies are a rarity here, maybe in Jax there are more opps?

Look at housing and salaries too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida