Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,156,263 times

Advertisements

So as many of you may know from my previous posts, I am quite interested in moving to FL. I've long been one those 'need to move ASAP cuz I hate the weather and COL where I am' people, but I've realized it will take some time and I'm okay with that now.

I've mainly considered the areas around Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale (I have family in both areas), but I've also inquired about the Tampa/St. Pete area. I realize my focus on Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale mostly has to do with family being there and those being the areas I am more familiar with. However, I am wondering if I should expand my search and what suggestions you may have.

Currently, I am 35 and single. I have no children and none are in my future. Obviously safety and affordable are high on my list, and I'd prefer to be close to beaches. When I say close, I'm okay with like a 15-20 or so drive to beach, just not an Orlando-to-coast type drive. Nightlife isn't a big deal to me - I'd prefer palces don't close down at 8pm, but I'm not into bars/clubs/all night partying.

Based on that (and anything else I can tell you if you ask), can you recommend any other places I may want to consider? I mean, should I be researching (as an example) Sarasota, or St. Augustine? I don't NEED to be major places like Miami or Orlando or Tampa.

I know finding a job is #1 priority (and I know what teh market is like, which I have stayed put), but it would help if I knew others areas that anyone may recommend.

I guess I wanna say I don't wanna sell myself short and miss out on a nice place just because I am sticking to familiar areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:39 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,838 times
You may look at Brevard county as well. Its just about 1.5 hours north of Ft Lauderdale and 1-1.5 hours east of Orlando so family commutes would be split down the middle for you. Brevard is a little more laid back scene than the bigger metro areas but there is all the essentials. You mentioned you aren't looking for nightlife but there is some level of nightlife there, and no they don't close down at 8pm.

Cocoa Beach (not Cocoa), Satellite Beach, Idialantic, and even Melbourne Beach (more rural & quiet) would all be good options and you can be walking distance from the beach depending on your budget. Viera, Rockledge, West Melbourne, and parts of Melbourne are also good options depending on whether those places suit your tastes...all are 10-15 minutes from the beach.

Jobs aren't the easiest thing to find in Brevard though, so it really depends on what you do for a living. But if you can make a living there, you won't likely find a more affordable place that gives you great access to the beach. And its situated nicely between your family's locations.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
I think I'd look at Vero Beach also, depending on the type of work you're looking for.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
You may look at Brevard county as well. Its just about 1.5 hours north of Ft Lauderdale and 1-1.5 hours east of Orlando so family commutes would be split down the middle for you. Brevard is a little more laid back scene than the bigger metro areas but there is all the essentials. You mentioned you aren't looking for nightlife but there is some level of nightlife there, and no they don't close down at 8pm.

Cocoa Beach (not Cocoa), Satellite Beach, Idialantic, and even Melbourne Beach (more rural & quiet) would all be good options and you can be walking distance from the beach depending on your budget. Viera, Rockledge, West Melbourne, and parts of Melbourne are also good options depending on whether those places suit your tastes...all are 10-15 minutes from the beach.

Jobs aren't the easiest thing to find in Brevard though, so it really depends on what you do for a living. But if you can make a living there, you won't likely find a more affordable place that gives you great access to the beach. And its situated nicely between your family's locations.
I agree, Brevard County might be a good fit for you. For beachside living Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, Satellite Beach and Port Canaveral are good places to check out. On the mainland check out Melbourne (the Suntree area is nice) or Merritt Island (which is a happy medium between beach and mainland).

Old 02-28-2012, 05:47 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
So as many of you may know from my previous posts, I am quite interested in moving to FL. I've long been one those 'need to move ASAP cuz I hate the weather and COL where I am' people, but I've realized it will take some time and I'm okay with that now.

I've mainly considered the areas around Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale (I have family in both areas), but I've also inquired about the Tampa/St. Pete area. I realize my focus on Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale mostly has to do with family being there and those being the areas I am more familiar with. However, I am wondering if I should expand my search and what suggestions you may have.

Currently, I am 35 and single. I have no children and none are in my future. Obviously safety and affordable are high on my list, and I'd prefer to be close to beaches. When I say close, I'm okay with like a 15-20 or so drive to beach, just not an Orlando-to-coast type drive. Nightlife isn't a big deal to me - I'd prefer palces don't close down at 8pm, but I'm not into bars/clubs/all night partying.

Based on that (and anything else I can tell you if you ask), can you recommend any other places I may want to consider? I mean, should I be researching (as an example) Sarasota, or St. Augustine? I don't NEED to be major places like Miami or Orlando or Tampa.

I know finding a job is #1 priority (and I know what teh market is like, which I have stayed put), but it would help if I knew others areas that anyone may recommend.

I guess I wanna say I don't wanna sell myself short and miss out on a nice place just because I am sticking to familiar areas.

You might want to consider Stuart/Jensen Beach/Hobe Sound/Tequesta/Jupiter area.

That puts you about 2 hours from Orlando, and about 1.5 from Fort Lauderdale. Smaller town feels in those areas. All on or very close to the ocean. Nice areas, close to amenities, and IMO, nicer beaches and water.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM

509 posts, read 1,681,281 times
Your biggest hurdle will be finding a job. I'd suggest you find a job you like, rent, and spend your liesure time looking around Florida and finding where you'd REALLY like to live.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Quote:

I've lived in the Ft Lauderdale area for years and am researching relocating to other areas of Florida.
(Housing is too expensive for me here and I'm looking for a slower pace.)

A lot depends on your finances, what you're looking to spend on housing, and what type of work you're looking for.

Just a suggestion: in my "I want to move" research, I read opinions on here as far as safe neighborhoods.. then go on various employment websites, pull up the potential areas I find on these forums.. and see how many jobs in my field are listed. (Some communities will have several listings, many none.. I think it's at least giving me some kind of direction?)
It is very hard getting a job if you arrive without one.
Because there are so many transients employers can shy away from people who just "show up here" for lack of a better way to put it. They're worried you'll leave in a few weeks - a very common occurance....

That being said, there seem to be 789,123 jobs working in call centers in the Ft Lauderdale/West Palm area.

Keep us posted in what you decide!
I'm looking for any and all suggestions for my own decision!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 AM

99 posts, read 204,087 times
Quote:

If finding a job is your top priority I'd suggest you post your areas of expertise. If "bartender" is at the top of your list of qualifications, certain areas of Florida may be a better choice for you than if your resume said "Electrical Engineer."

Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
St Petersburg will check all you boxes, its paradise many beaches no winters, what more is there to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida