Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I hate most bugs, snakes and rodents and I'm doing really well here. I even hike with the scouts! The banana spiders do really freak me out though. No getting around that. Lizards and frogs are cute though. I have to say that with good extermination in the house, the rest is very manageable and I don't think one should necessarily rule out Florida because of bugs. Oh, and I keep a fly swatter in the car to swat spiders in case there's one on the inside of the windshield. It's hard to drive with a spider crawling across your field of vision just waiting for the right moment to devour you.
You're dealing with it. Some can't or won't.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I didn't know Florida had roaches, only those little lizards things, which are scarier to me than a roach
Those little lizards are the cutest thing ever. And if they ever come in your house they will dry up and die in a day or two.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Roaches are a fact of life even if you live in the cleanest house on the block.

More importantly, what is your plan for moving down? Do you have a job?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 AM

815 posts, read 980,772 times
I'm not sure if people from the north who are considering moving to FL understand the difference between roaches and palmetto bugs.
My experience has been that many people think palmetto bugs are just giant roaches, but they are different.
German roaches are the ones that carry diseases and live (mainly) in unclean kitchens.
Palmetto bugs would rather be outside, and as far as I know do not carry diseases.
Of course, this is a simplified explanation.
But having lived both up north and in FL, my experience has been that regular house roaches are no more likely to be in a FL home than a northern home. However, there are no palmetto bugs up north.
As far as spiders, I have encountered just as many up north as I have in FL.
The lizards and frogs in FL are wonderful creatures that are entertaining to watch and they eat bugs
There are a LOT more snakes in FL than in the north, but most won't bother you if you leave them alone.
Alligators are pretty rare, especially in the urban areas.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:51 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I'm not sure if people from the north who are considering moving to FL understand the difference between roaches and palmetto bugs.
My experience has been that many people think palmetto bugs are just giant roaches, but they are different.
German roaches are the ones that carry diseases and live (mainly) in unclean kitchens.
Palmetto bugs would rather be outside, and as far as I know do not carry diseases.
Of course, this is a simplified explanation.
But having lived both up north and in FL, my experience has been that regular house roaches are no more likely to be in a FL home than a northern home. However, there are no palmetto bugs up north.
As far as spiders, I have encountered just as many up north as I have in FL.
The lizards and frogs in FL are wonderful creatures that are entertaining to watch and they eat bugs
There are a LOT more snakes in FL than in the north, but most won't bother you if you leave them alone.
Alligators are pretty rare, especially in the urban areas.
Great post - Plus +1

Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
We have a lot of roaches in Florida Of course they are less visable than lizards, but if you end up in the wrong home, you will see a few daily. The lizards are just an inconvenience when they get inside your home but you know they will die or leave if you are unable to get a hold of them. The roach? The roach will multiply and cause sanitary issues with their disgusting feces.

I think newer homes tend to have less bug issues, the problem is they are usually not located in the more central areas

I don't know if I would live in a condo, but I have seen plenty of newer condos roach free. Cleaning,raid exterminators help too but if your condo neighbors are filthy good luck.
I'm not scared of those lizards. I think they are cute and take photos of them or try to catch them, but they are fast little buggers. Never seen a roach, but I've seen a mouse. I do scream on that or jump around crazy

Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
If it looks like a roach it's a roach to me, plus I don't care if they spread disease or not, they are gross and I don't want either in my home. "palmetto bug" is the way of saying you don't really have roaches when you do.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM

195 posts, read 350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Roaches are a fact of life even if you live in the cleanest house on the block.

More importantly, what is your plan for moving down? Do you have a job?
That is partially true, some of the newer homes and condos have no roach problems, even when people leave dirty dishes overnight. Some of the older homes might have roach problems even if the owners are extremely clean. If you buy the wrong home you could be stuck with this problem for months

Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
That is partially true, some of the newer homes and condos have no roach problems, even when people leave dirty dishes overnight. Some of the older homes might have roach problems even if the owners are extremely clean. If you buy the wrong home you could be stuck with this problem for months
This is true, I have lived in homes with horrendous roach problems and others with almost zero. You will see less roaches (palmetto bugs) in general if you keep the vegetation cut away from the house, and also if you don't have little cracks or openings where they get in.

We love in an older block home on slab, and I never see any unless they sneak in from under the door in the garage where it is kind of open to outside. We don't spray, either. The best preventive is put out that boric acid, it works GREAT. We keep open lids of it in the garage.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM

260 posts, read 909,065 times
If you decide to move call a reputable company and have them treat the house before you move in. They will guarantee the service. If your still worried about it, some night when you wake up at 2 am quietly go to the kitchen and flip on the light. You will see them scatter. Also if you have a pet be sure to get the flea stuff and treat them before you move. Don't let the bugs stop you. You can stop the bugs and you can't stop the cold and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida