Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,035 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be beneficial for me to share my opinion on UF, mainly due to the fact that I live in southwest Florida and have observed potential UF candidates for the past few years. I have also been up to Gainesville and Talahasse, so I am not simply shooting the breeze when I talk about the area. Anyway, I'd like to outline some particular aspects of the culture that I do not think are ideal and have most likely caused many Northeasterners to have a skewed perception of FL.
I remember sitting in class in 9th grade wondering what all the buzz was about surrounding UF. A wide array of people always sported the attire, as if they were trying to flaunt the fact that they had been admitted or would potentially be admitted. There were a few odd ducks like myself that said it wasn't their scene, but the majority of people at the high school I attended at the time (Fort Myers High) couldn't refrain from raving about their excitement.
I observed the caliber of people who were so greatly enthused about the school for the rest of the year. I found that a common theme that presented itself among UF candidates was unconditional love for football, hunting/fishing, four wheeling, greek life, and camouflage. This was concerning for me because there seemed to be minimal orgininality in the stylistic choices of these students. For those that were not particularly interested in redneck activities, they would soon become tainted by the image due to conformity and a strong desire for acceptance. In other words, the minute the football quarterback sported a UF "Swamp Life" shirt, there would be a domino effect of sorts causing the "lower rank" students to attempt to mimic what they deemed as an ideal image. Students promptly became blind sheep and succumbed to joining the UF bandwagon.
I do not find the scene at UF to be anything particularly intriguing. The campus is about as isolated as can be, literally located in a swamp town that is a decent trek from beaches and other cities/towns. I truly cannot understand the appeal of this location unless you are really that into redneck activities, which I guess proves my point.
Anyway, I don't think UF portrays Florida in a positive light, because it gives people from out of state the impression that we are not particularly sophisticated and lack a fair amount of class. The town of Gainesville itself is not especially cultured compared to the locations of other state schools. This is obviously subjective opinion, and I know that not everyone at UF fits a generic stereotype, as that would be an ignorant claim. I understand that there is a decent pre-med program, which I'm sure decent students attend. My point is that I don't believe students choose UF for individualistic reasons most of the time and that certain social norms that are present there do not do justice for Florida's status as an intellectual state. I think I'll end this thread with some not-so-vibrant pictures of UF enthusiasts.

Hate Week - A Guide to Florida Fans | Georgia Bulldog News | The Blawg House

You get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I thought it would be beneficial for me to share my opinion on UF, mainly due to the fact that I live in southwest Florida and have observed potential UF candidates for the past few years. I have also been up to Gainesville and Talahasse, so I am not simply shooting the breeze when I talk about the area. Anyway, I'd like to outline some particular aspects of the culture that I do not think are ideal and have most likely caused many Northeasterners to have a skewed perception of FL.
I remember sitting in class in 9th grade wondering what all the buzz was about surrounding UF. A wide array of people always sported the attire, as if they were trying to flaunt the fact that they had been admitted or would potentially be admitted. There were a few odd ducks like myself that said it wasn't their scene, but the majority of people at the high school I attended at the time (Fort Myers High) couldn't refrain from raving about their excitement.
I observed the caliber of people who were so greatly enthused about the school for the rest of the year. I found that a common theme that presented itself among UF candidates was unconditional love for football, hunting/fishing, four wheeling, greek life, and camouflage. This was concerning for me because there seemed to be minimal orgininality in the stylistic choices of these students. For those that were not particularly interested in redneck activities, they would soon become tainted by the image due to conformity and a strong desire for acceptance. In other words, the minute the football quarterback sported a UF "Swamp Life" shirt, there would be a domino effect of sorts causing the "lower rank" students to attempt to mimic what they deemed as an ideal image. Students promptly became blind sheep and succumbed to joining the UF bandwagon.
I do not find the scene at UF to be anything particularly intriguing. The campus is about as isolated as can be, literally located in a swamp town that is a decent trek from beaches and other cities/towns. I truly cannot understand the appeal of this location unless you are really that into redneck activities, which I guess proves my point.
Anyway, I don't think UF portrays Florida in a positive light, because it gives people from out of state the impression that we are not particularly sophisticated and lack a fair amount of class. The town of Gainesville itself is not especially cultured compared to the locations of other state schools. This is obviously subjective opinion, and I know that not everyone at UF fits a generic stereotype, as that would be an ignorant claim. I understand that there is a decent pre-med program, which I'm sure decent students attend. My point is that I don't believe students choose UF for individualistic reasons most of the time and that certain social norms that are present there do not do justice for Florida's status as an intellectual state. I think I'll end this thread with some not-so-vibrant pictures of UF enthusiasts.

Hate Week - A Guide to Florida Fans | Georgia Bulldog News | The Blawg House

You get the point.
When did this status come about? lol

Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Yawn. Ever been to Tallahassee?

Luckily, there's a lot more out there than your opinion on what is the obvious premier higher-ed institution in the state of Florida. It has also been considered a "public Ivy" for quite some time.

UF ranked as a Public Ivy institution according to college guide - The Independent Florida Alligator: Campus

Entry stats for the 2012 class: University of Florida - Admissions

Facts and Rankings » University of Florida

Quote:
UF received more than $644 million in research awards in 2011-12.
Gatorade®, the world’s most popular sports drink, is just one of hundreds of commercial products resulting from UF research.
UF ranked 10th in the number of U.S. patents issued in 2011.
UF ranked eighth in the number of start-up companies created in 2011.
UF was tied for 13th in the number of invention disclosures in 2011.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
When did this status come about? lol
That's what I mean

Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Yawn. Ever been to Tallahassee?

Luckily, there's a lot more out there than your opinion on what is the obvious premier higher-ed institution in the state of Florida. It has also been considered a "public Ivy" for quite some time.

UF ranked as a Public Ivy institution according to college guide - The Independent Florida Alligator: Campus

Entry stats for the 2012 class: University of Florida - Admissions

Facts and Rankings » University of Florida
You make a good point but I hope you understand I am talking more about cultural implications of the UF image, not specifically the education quality.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
You make a good point but I hope you understand I am talking more about cultural implications of the UF image, not specifically the education quality.
Most people I know of view UF as the premeir higher-ed institution. The entering student stats speak volumes to that. Sure, it's surrounded by rural territory, but the UF core is very solid and most people know that.

Also, check out these "top" lists.....

10 U.S. Cities Top List of Where to Retire Like a King on Less Than $100 a Day - ABC News

Gainesville graduates to best city - USATODAY.com

100 best places to live and launch - 47. Gainesville (47) - FORTUNE Small Business

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
Are you talking specifically about UF or the town of Gainesville? There are many areas of FL that you can find the "redneck, 4 wheelin" culture. The "lights and glamour" of parts of South FL is not the real FL. So I'm confused.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,915,723 times
PS- UF is a very good school. When I tried to transfer, I needed like a minimum of a 3.3 or 3.4 gpa. (and this was like 8 years ago).

Old 04-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Are you talking specifically about UF or the town of Gainesville? There are many areas of FL that you can find the "redneck, 4 wheelin" culture. The "lights and glamour" of parts of South FL is not the real FL. So I'm confused.
I'm talking about how UF portrays Florida, and Gainesville is pertinent to that.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,170,818 times
OP I am curious. Where did you graduate from college?

I really think it is funny that you added a link from the Georgia Bulldogs when you are trying to cut down UF. In your eyes UF and the area it is in may not appeal to you, but you have to wonder why students from so many other states choose to apply and come to UF every year. And once they do they remain loyal supporters of their alma mater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida