Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,354,919 times

Advertisements

There's a BIG difference from being a Gator Fan and Gator. First off, you can't control who likes your sports programs, many of them know little to nothing about the school and will never set foot in the classroom. Do you think the University of Miami is deserved of it's reputation of "The U"? It's a great school but if you look at it's fans you would get the the image its all thugs, that couldn't be further from the truth, Miami is full of affluent trust fund type students. Which leads me to my second point, those fans rarely are students or members of the university. Your perception of all these rednecks running through campus is completely off point. Uf is basically full of preppy frat and sorority types. The vast majority of students come from the suburbs or major metro areas. It's basically a corporate nursery. Trust me the hunting club is no where near as big as the Pre-Med or Pre-Law society. Finally, if you're not a Gator your a Gator hater. Everything in your post screams troll. Gainesville is secluded and most Gators wouldn't have it any other way, it's part of the history and tradition of the University. As another poster previously mentioned, it was set up there over a 100 years ago. Their are buildings and dorms on that campus older than most Florida suburbs. Cultureless???? This history alone of our campus creates the foundation for the school's character and culture. People complain there's no real history in Florida, it's a small town that still has some southern character to it, but when you're there, it's a place unto it's own. A place you learn about yourself. Do you think Ann Arbor or Yale are major metropolitan areas???? I've lived in the Northeast and attended grad school up there after graduating from UF. Even in the elitist northeast UF has a pretty strong reputation academically. If anything, the perception is that UF is a huge party school. Look, after reading the post it makes me even more proud to be a Gator Alumni and a part of Gator Nation because unless you are Gator you just wouldn't understand. Gator Bait!!!

Last edited by Crane's Rooster; 04-04-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,950,023 times
Go gators!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,909,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
That is WRONG. I couldn't get into UF with a 3.0 gpa 8 yrs ago.
One of my best friends brothers just got into UF last Fall with a 2.5 gpa, he transferred in from Santa Fe.

Don't feel bad, I had a 3.0 in high school and didn't get into UF, FSU, or even USF. Ironically, I was accepted to UT-Knoxville, MTSU, and Tennessee State. Go figure..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Do you think the University of Miami is deserved of it's reputation of "The U"? It's a great school but if you look at it's fans you would get the the image its all thugs, that couldn't be further from the truth, Miami is full of affluent trust fund type students.
I'm pretty sure they got their reputation from their players, not their fans.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,354,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I would say an equal share of both, like the Raiders. But the point I was getting at is that the students did not create or fit the image.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would say an equal share of both, like the Raiders. But the point I was getting at is that the students did not create or fit the image.
Well yeah, I'd say that a large majority of the students weren't athletes, but there was still a pretty significant amount. I get what you're saying though.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,950,023 times
Quote:
One of my best friends brothers just got into UF last Fall with a 2.5 gpa, he transferred in from Santa Fe.

Don't feel bad, I had a 3.0 in high school and didn't get into UF, FSU, or even USF. Ironically, I was accepted to UT-Knoxville, MTSU, and Tennessee State. Go figure..
UF is a lot harder to get into than the TN schools you mentioned. I got into a NC State college similar to the TN schools with a mediocre gpa.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,533,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I'm talking about how UF portrays Florida, and Gainesville is pertinent to that.
Gainesville is the highest educated city in the state.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
You haven't been around their fans it appears. By fans I mean ones that never went there which comprise most of their fanbase.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am attending Seattle University this fall. I have no ties to Georgia either, the pics simply portrayed what I was trying to shed light on the best.
Seattle University accepts 71% of the students who apply so I'm not impressed with how they represent themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida