Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,704,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Ironically, I'm currently a student in Texas and listed the University of Florida as well as FSU as potential transfer institutions and was informed that the minimum gpa to transfer, according to the admissions departments at both schools, was a 2.0 at Florida and a 3.0 at Florida State..

It even still lists this information on their websites..
What I was referring to was what it actually takes to get in. I would think they could not have a published minimum GPA that was too high due to being a state university

Facts and Rankings » University of Florida
Quote:
The fall 2011 incoming freshman class had an average 4.3 GPA and 1958 SAT score.
I don't think many 2.0 or 3.0 GPA's are getting in. Transfers of course may be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,704,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I simply made an observation about how I percieve UF culture. I don't know why it has to turn into a dramatic incident of me making an ignorant claim hoping to spark an arguement or increase my self concept. It's just my opinion, and I'm open to others. Take it for what it is.
Quote:
UF is consistently ranked among the nation’s top universities: No. 17 in U.S. News & World Report “Top Public Universities” (August 2012); No. 3 in Kiplinger’s “Best Values in Public Colleges” (2013) and No. 7 in the Princeton Review “Best Value Public Colleges” (2012).

Job recruiters ranked UF ninth on the list of places where corporations prefer to recruit new employees (2010) and No. 2 on SmartMoney magazine’s list of universities whose graduates get the highest salary return for their tuition dollars (2012). UF also ranked 21st in the National Universities category of the 2012 Washington Monthly magazine College Rankings.
Do you think that maybe the above helps foster the impression people from out of state get about UF?

There is a whole big world out there after you get out of high school.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,925,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
What I was referring to was what it actually takes to get in. I would think they could not have a published minimum GPA that was too high due to being a state university

I don't think many 2.0 or 3.0 GPA's are getting in. Transfers of course may be different.
You're right about that, most Universities are very competitive about admissions, I know for a fact that the University of Texas at Austin not only accepts only high school graduates with a 4.0 gpa, but because of the high number of 4.0 grads that apply, then only accept something like kids that scored within the top 5%.

I would assume that it's a similar situation in Florida, however, when it comes to transfers, issues are different. They don't HAVE to accept out of state transfers, but I believe there is some kind of law or something that says they HAVE to accept in-state students that have at least a 2.0 at a Florida community college, it's a part of the 2+2 program or something like that.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,908,481 times
Quote:
I was trying to articulate that I believe UF gives Florida a "cultureless, 4 wheelin, redneck" image to people who are not from the state. I am aware of the diverse areas of Florida, having lived here for years, the point I was trying to make was the perception it gives off to other people. Nowhere in my thread did I mention South Beach or excessive glamor.
This thread is a little silly,Florida and all the southeast schools from LSU,Georgia,South Carolina,etc... are probably going to have a certain percentage of students who fit into into that "country" image you somehow feel all of UF falls into.This school along with many of those other southern schools are large,very large and just because many of the kids you saw going to UF from your neighborhood in SW Florida fall into that category doesn't mean that's what most people think all of UF is,UF has students from everywhere that fit any and every stereotype out there.You're just looking at the students near you.Florida overall is not synonymous with culture whether it be in Gainesville or Naples or Miami,people still know UF is a great school,one of the best in the nation.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM

57 posts, read 114,135 times
Quote:
I found that a common theme that presented itself among UF candidates was unconditional love for football, hunting/fishing, four wheeling, greek life, and camouflage.
This is exactly what the rest of FL is like, you're just limiting your vision to Ft. Meyers and the southern part of the state.

And the rest of Florida, in my opinion, is wonderful.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,978,142 times
Quote:
Ironically, I'm currently a student in Texas and listed the University of Florida as well as FSU as potential transfer institutions and was informed that the minimum gpa to transfer, according to the admissions departments at both schools, was a 2.0 at Florida and a 3.0 at Florida State..

It even still lists this information on their websites..

That is WRONG. I couldn't get into UF with a 3.0 gpa 8 yrs ago.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You're right about that, most Universities are very competitive about admissions, I know for a fact that the University of Texas at Austin not only accepts only high school graduates with a 4.0 gpa, but because of the high number of 4.0 grads that apply, then only accept something like kids that scored within the top 5%.

I would assume that it's a similar situation in Florida, however, when it comes to transfers, issues are different. They don't HAVE to accept out of state transfers, but I believe there is some kind of law or something that says they HAVE to accept in-state students that have at least a 2.0 at a Florida community college, it's a part of the 2+2 program or something like that.

That could be, but believe me, I couldn't get accepted with a 3.0 from a NC State University.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I was trying to articulate that I believe UF gives Florida a "cultureless, 4 wheelin, redneck" image to people who are not from the state. I am aware of the diverse areas of Florida, having lived here for years, the point I was trying to make was the perception it gives off to other people. Nowhere in my thread did I mention South Beach or excessive glamor.

I could care less if ppl from other states perceive UF that way. That's a lot of FL for that matter. If they dont like it, stay up north.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM

66 posts, read 98,087 times
Troll thread troll harder...

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,389,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
That is WRONG. I couldn't get into UF with a 3.0 gpa 8 yrs ago.
Correct. I imagine those are CUTOFFs, not guarantees of getting in. They won't even look at your application with a GPA below those numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida