Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Leave Florida alone. We like low taxes and low services.
LMAO....how typical.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:15 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I have traveled a lot. Takes a lot more than voting blue to be progressive. Takes opportunities, good paying jobs, innovative creative types. Cool cities lots of nature open spaces compared to our endless sprawl A real economy taking center stage compared to housing bubbles, retirees, beaches, and tourism. Lots of brain drain goes on in this state of 19 million which is the saddest point of all I am making.. But the good news is FL as a swing state not left for dead yet and should take the best of BOTH CA and TX models to reinvent itself without losing what drew people here in the first place..
Good points regarding education and jobs IMO. Although I have nothing to say about those things in Florida that isn't politically incorrect. And will therefore . Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LMAO....how typical.
Different strokes for different folks. Thankfully, we are not one big homogeneous conglomerate of 50 states.

Don't liberals preach tolerance, after all?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yes it mean poor people [and the idealists and ignorant] voting for Democrats, expanding government to create a behemoth dependency that interferes with and controls every aspect of your life, and lastly, the complete disbelief in any merit of the individual who must turn their entire lives over to the spiderweb state. INCLUDING choice of what schools you send your kids to. Because of course, that would interfere with the union stronghold on the politicians. Imagine that. Poor people being forced to stay in their substandard schools and still voting for the corruptocrats anyway. Also progressive means wrangling in enough government dependent people to insure you get re-elected forever. And YAY all the working people and job creators get to pay for those votes. Redistribution at it's finest. On steroids right now.

I get to pay a 40% penalty on MY healthcare I worked for all my life because some Progressive calls it "Cadillac" AND because the OP's cute generation refuses to even buy OBAMACARE I get to pay THEIR healthcare too. And unemployment, and all the other free stuff they voted for. Birth control being my favorite new government payola. Geniuses don't even KNOW that healthcare is still not allowed to cross state lines to bring prices down. The PROGRESSIVES made sure of that so we'd end up in single payer like Canada real quick.

The ultimate antithesis of the principles that founded the country. Like Franklin said, once people figure out they can vote themselves promises of free stuff, the game is over.

You must not watch MSNBC. Caution: turn your volume down low, they love to scream. And wear tampons for earrings to protest a state legislature not permitting them to be thrown all over the hall in protest. This is a "professor" that people are turning their kids over to.

Melissa Harris-Perry Wears Tampon Earrings On Air | NewsBusters

WAIT - it's not so bad. Maybe there'll be legal weed soon. Yippee. Morons.
Starting backwards - I don't watch MSNBC (why should I watch TV to aggravate myself???). OTOH - I don't watch FOX or CNN or network news for the most part either. I get my information from print (either print/print or online print) and then form my own opinions.

Still - I often think that unless I read a ton - I'm not getting the whole story. Good example. We arrived in Stockholm the morning after the attack in Benghazi. Our hotel had 2 English speaking news channels. BBC and CNN International. Never usually mistaken for Fox News . And both immediately and continuously reported the attack as a "terrorist attack". So I was taken aback when I got home a week later - and it was like "what terrorist attack?"

FWIW - I watch CNBC during market hours when I'm home - and lots of cooking programs. Also movies - and some sports. More amusing than MSNBC from your description of it .

You're the first person I've heard who has one of those "Cadillac" health insurance plans. How did you get it? (I'm on Medicare now.)

Regarding schools - I agree with you. I don't understand how people without money who have kids in lousy school districts keep re-electing people who promise (explicitly or implicitly) to keep their school districts lousy. Even a long long time ago - my parents refused to move to Florida until all of their kids were in college. Because the schools in Florida were bad even back then. They certainly haven't improved much (if at all) since we've been in Florida. Our county is supposed to have the best schools in Florida - but the schools here seem kind of pedestrian to me. Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I wish I could take Portland, Seattle, or Vancouver and plot it on the Gulf Coast, for the weather.
Portland Seattle and Vancouver are all very different places (except perhaps when it comes to gardening). What do you like about any of them? Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Florida has good and bad, so does California. Yes, Florida in general is not as socially forward as California, but it's not Mississippi either. If I could get Miami weather and flavor in California with some mountains close by, I'd be in paradise .

I think Florida is making strides, and has some growing pains. Even as a married, gay man, I struggle with the idea of leaving. Despite being considered an equal citizen in other states, I love enough about Florida to keep me indecisive!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LMAO....how typical.
Low taxes and low services are better than high taxes and low services . What is your tax perfect state? Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Low taxes and low services are better than high taxes and low services . What is your tax perfect state? Robyn
Quality of life as measures by HDI is better in the higher taxed states. Florida, BTW, is in the middle.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Quality of life as measures by HDI is better in the higher taxed states. Florida, BTW, is in the middle.
Well - we go over this stuff again and again and again in the Retirement Forum. It's not a one-size fits all thing - no matter how old you are - what you do - what your family status is - what you care to do in terms of recreational activities - etc.

IMO - it is very person/family specific. Not only in terms of personal/family needs - but in terms of likes/dislikes.

Still - I think for younger people - the goal is to get the best employment possible in a place that is reasonably affordable in terms of the income one can earn. In a place that's ok for you. I've met younger people here in the JAX metro area who moved here from the San Francisco bay area. They aren't tech titans or similar . Just normal people (middle or lower middle income). And they said they didn't want to live in a place where - no matter how frugal they were - or how much they saved - they'd never be able to afford to buy a house.

Also - people with kids (I don't have any) think about things like schools for their kids. San Francisco is very "progressive". No matter where you live - you're in a school lottery. So - if you have a $1 million condo - your kid's school lottery ticket might buy him/her entrance into a school in a slum (or maybe the best school in the city - or maybe something in between). Obviously - if you're rich - you bypass the lottery and send your kids to private school.

Then again - if your primary sports passion is skiing - and it is a passion - as opposed to a once a year casual thing - Florida might not be your best place to live (all other things being equal). Mt. Dora is not known for its skiing . Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
San Francisco is very "progressive". No matter where you live - you're in a school lottery.
That's partly why San Francisco has one of the smallest percentages of children in its population of any major US city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida