Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I understand this, and there are several conference rooms for tutoring, classes and meetings. However, the main part of the library is supposed to be a quiet place to read and study. I dress very casually, but I do not know what this has to do with being considerate.

Oh, I agree with you, but the new wave of library management discourages any enforcement of sound levels. The same goes for almost all anti-social behavior (body odor, feet up on furniture, sleeping in public, etc.). As someone else pointed out, the library employees are some of the biggest offenders when it comes to noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
I haven't been to any libraries in Florida, but the library where I live in North Haven Connecticut is always subdued. It's not always totally quiet - of course sometimes someone's voice will carry (such as when a few people are heading up the staircase to the 2nd floor, or a bunch of kids with moms come in from outside), but those are only moments, and never linger.

Libraries should be a bastion of serenity, a place where you can completely lose yourself in text. You might want to send a polite note to the library's Board or administration. Ask if they'd look into the matter and perhaps provide signs to remind people that in a library, even an "indoor voice" is too loud.

In today's society - I would suggest even that libraries have a special sound-proofed room to accommodate people who get cellphone calls while they're at the library. That way, they can answer the phone, tell the caller to hold on just the few steps it takes to go into that room, and have their phone conversation without disturbing anyone else.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You seem to be excusing change simply because it is change, that change has inherent merit and thus should be tolerated; I don't hold with that notion. I could give examples of bad changes, history had plenty of them, but I think you understand what I'm driving at even if you don't agree with me. But would the world not be a little bit better place if people were quiet and restrained in libraries? It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.
I agree, I'm all for a quiet place to contemplate a good book and consideration for others in every endeavor. I just don't see it happening in every situation, or hardly any for that matter. If I want solitude, I never consider public places unless they are unoccupied and/or rather remote. I don't see a big future for libraries anyway. Printed material is fast becoming obsolete.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
It's the retirees. I moved up to Knoxville, Tenn. and people aren't loud in the libraries. As someone else mentioned they seem self-absorbed in Florida. I don't know about other retiree bastions like Arizona but the retirees in Florida absolutely make it intolerable with their crass, arrogant attitudes. I've always wondered why Florida attracts such a large number of folks like that. Not all of course but it seems as if some of them get down there and decide it is their personal playground and the rest of folks be damned. You can see that attitude even on this thread.

By the way, I own a Kindle Fire and frequently check out and buy books on there, as well as on my smartphone and my PC but I also go to the library. Sometimes only a hard copy will suffice and the reference material is great. It's also a quiet place where students can study in peace. The library also has so many events, groups and meetings being held, albeit in other rooms so that the main room can remain quiet.

That was something I really noticed with some of the areas of Florida where retirees were in large numbers. They'd stroll into the library like they owned the joint and to heck with students that might be studying. What were they doing there? What were children doing in stores, restaurants and the beach? My God!

And for the record, I'm 51 and lived in Florida from the age of 34 to 44.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:54 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,509 times
The noisiest patrons I have noticed in our Florida library were teenagers. And even one of them eventually said that they should tone it down since they were in a library. I have not noticed any older patrons being inconsiderate with noise levels. It's sad that libraries are getting afraid of "offending" patrons by asking that they keep the noise down. It really IS hard to concentrate on even looking at books when a noisy conversation is being held a few feet away.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 AM

503 posts, read 1,204,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I haven't been to any libraries in Florida, but the library where I live in North Haven Connecticut is always subdued. It's not always totally quiet - of course sometimes someone's voice will carry (such as when a few people are heading up the staircase to the 2nd floor, or a bunch of kids with moms come in from outside), but those are only moments, and never linger.

Libraries should be a bastion of serenity, a place where you can completely lose yourself in text. You might want to send a polite note to the library's Board or administration. Ask if they'd look into the matter and perhaps provide signs to remind people that in a library, even an "indoor voice" is too loud.

In today's society - I would suggest even that libraries have a special sound-proofed room to accommodate people who get cellphone calls while they're at the library. That way, they can answer the phone, tell the caller to hold on just the few steps it takes to go into that room, and have their phone conversation without disturbing anyone else.
I completely agree with you on this.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 30,509 times
Default Shhh...quiet, please

I just retired from teaching so have 'kept in the loop' with what kids (and adults) are doing and have seen a tremendous change in respect levels in the past 20 years. All of the 7 schools that I taught in always had quiet libraries. I firmly believe that there are certain places that should remain quiet-- libraries, hospitals and churches! Some people still show respect by whispering or not talking at all in these places (it's obvious they have been taught values/respect at home) but I have also seen people talk (and laugh) in normal voice levels at these locations. If the establishment doesn't take care of noise levels immediately and consistently, they are to blame. We can only voice our disapproval/disappointment to the establishments and if enough do so, maybe things will change. A letter to the board might help also.

Sealark, I have also heard comments from others about the 'cranky' librarians on the treasure coast, which is where I am headed-- and plan on using those libraries. I love going to my local library (in the Midwest). The adult sections are always quiet, not always in the children's sections. They have so many activities for me and my grandchildren to take part in year round.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 PM

910 posts, read 2,218,509 times
Zippy, I do miss the library I went to in Central Ohio ! I could get almost any book I wanted through them, as they had a co-op system with other libraries throughout the state (simpler than interlibrary loan). The one where I live now isn't nearly as good, sadly. I am glad I have a large library of my own !

Old 09-08-2013, 08:01 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,074,040 times
'Quiet zone' don't exist anymore. Add libraries to movie theaters and hospitals. I had to spend 4 nights in a hospital from injuries. All lights were on and the people at the nurses station must have thought it was 3 PM not 3AM I begged my doctor for a release so I could go home to get a nights sleep.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,341,409 times
US culture has devolved, as you have noticed. Yes, it IS loud Yankee retirees often enough. You rarely see Southerners w/ that sort of non manners. But again, society isn't what it used to be, so you see all sorts of people doing that now. Even w/ big signs and patrolling security (Florida is the most police state mentality I've ever experienced, outside of Texas), you still see people in our library pulling out their cell phones and talking at the top of their lungs. When we visited Oxford, Ms years ago you could hear a pin drop in their library, and it was all yes mam, no sir, from everyone. I really enjoyed our time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida