Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 AM

90 posts, read 92,331 times

Advertisements

I used to work for a major commercial landscaping company here in CT for 3 years. I learned a lot and since then, I have always wanted to open up a landscaping company in florida but people on this site have always talked it down due to the amount of landscaping companies there already, as well as people doing landscaping on the side at a very cheap price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 AM

90 posts, read 92,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
You are brave for telling your boss that. I wouldn't have said anything about moving. Chances are, that if for some reason cuts come down the pipe, you may be the 1st to go. Why would your company invest in you or keep you knowing that you already have your foot out the door?

I know that if I were your boss, I would not send you back to school if I knew you were leaving. And I would most likely cut you lose, if I knew I had to cut back in my department. Why keep you? I rather give someone else the opportunity to go back to school if I knew they were in for the long haul.

I work for a small family owned company. A lot of my family members have worked here in the past. The VP knows that not only have I bled for the company, but my family who have worked here also bled. The VP recognizes that and that's why he has always told me to go back to school. When my company wasn't getting as much work from customers in the past, the VP had told me many times to go back to school because you never know what could happen in the future. This company has taken good care of the people who give everything to this place. We've made this company an unbelievable amount of money and the VP and President told us flat out that he wants us to suceed either with the company, or elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Florida is in general not a good state to live in for any college degree. Our economy is based on tourism. You don't need a college education for that.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Landscaping, totally forgot that one. Spanish required though.

I always wondered how the pay scales are for landscapers, you have tiers of jobs, there is a hierarchical tier starting on the low end and moving up:

-Foliage Picker Upper or Coconut Collector
-Weedwacker Operator
-Weedkiller Spray Operator
-Edger Operator
-Blower Operator must be able to learn the craft of blowing leaves and grass trimming out on the main roads to disperse neatly.
-Tree Hedger/Trimmers, might require a Arborist license much like a hair stylist for hedges, bushes and trees.
-Upright Mowers Operator
-Riding Mower Operator
-Truck Driver CDL required.
-Supervisor

Probably a few I missed there, but that's how most of the big ones operate.

I'm no expert but from my observation lawn maintenance seems to be the biggest growth industry in Florida. Every third vehicle is carrying some kind of grass cutting equipment and piled high with brush.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I have a buddy doing lawn care. He works 5-6 hours a day, and is raking it in (no pun intended) He does 5 or 6 accounts a day, 4 days a week. He turns customers away because he is busy enough.

$700+ a week after gas and expenses, sits on his butt most of the time, reports to no one, works the hours he wants. In the off season he does mulching and tree work. He paid off all his equipment a long time ago. Not a bad deal. If it rains, he puts on a poncho and goes to work. Oh, he does not speak Spanish.

You guys are so quick to rag on some line of work yet those guys are laughing while you work 40 hours a week busting but for a boss complaining about your low wages and no work.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:36 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
That tired old mantra that Florida's economy is based on tourism has to stop. It is not 1950 anymore. Some people just wont let go of out dated information and continue to repeat like parrots.

International Trade (40% of all U.S. exports to Latin and South America pass through Florida, the space industry represents $4.1 billion of the state's economy and the average annual wage of aerospace workers is approximately $65,000. Florida ranks 4th among the states in overall aerospace employment with 33,000 jobs. Florida leads the southeast in farm income. Florida produces about 67% of the U.S. oranges and accounts for about 40% of the world's orange juice supply. The construction industry here results from the steady stream of new residents and visitors that come here. There is growth in high tech, financial and back office operations, there are many small entrepreneurial companies dealing in software, health technology medical, biotech, laboratories, research at our universities, banking and finance, legal services, education, solar power, fishing, recreation, insurance, shipping, logistics, defense and weapons systems, and yes, tourism.

The problem is not what Florida has to offer, but the quality of the people that offer themselves to Florida.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That tired old mantra that Florida's economy is based on tourism has to stop. It is not 1950 anymore. Some people just wont let go of out dated information and continue to repeat like parrots.

International Trade (40% of all U.S. exports to Latin and South America pass through Florida, the space industry represents $4.1 billion of the state's economy and the average annual wage of aerospace workers is approximately $65,000. Florida ranks 4th among the states in overall aerospace employment with 33,000 jobs. Florida leads the southeast in farm income. Florida produces about 67% of the U.S. oranges and accounts for about 40% of the world's orange juice supply. The construction industry here results from the steady stream of new residents and visitors that come here. There is growth in high tech, financial and back office operations, there are many small entrepreneurial companies dealing in software, health technology medical, biotech, laboratories, research at our universities, banking and finance, legal services, education, solar power, fishing, recreation, insurance, shipping, logistics, defense and weapons systems, and yes, tourism.

The problem is not what Florida has to offer, but the quality of the people that offer themselves to Florida.
The bottom line is that industries that require intellectual expertise (i.e Bachelors's degree) are severely lacking in the state of Florida. Our politicians never took much interest in attracting such jobs to this state because they don't have to. They can always fall back on tourism to give the masses jobs and provide tax revenue.

Whats pathetic is that it works. People still flock to Florida by the hundreds of thousands. The college graduates often have to leave the state to find meaningful work.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:35 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I'm no expert but from my observation lawn maintenance seems to be the biggest growth industry in Florida. Every third vehicle is carrying some kind of grass cutting equipment and piled high with brush.
I see the standard Isuzu trucks with the enclosed trailers all the time, usually all filled with Guatemalans who are by far the biggest population of landscapers in South Florida from my experience.

Miami's based Vila & Son had 700 employees but filed bankruptcy and assets went to auction, they had those Blue and Yellow paint scheme trucks, they were big throughout the state. Then you have the smaller private owners, with a small crew. All Spanish speaking for the most part.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I have a buddy doing lawn care. He works 5-6 hours a day, and is raking it in (no pun intended) He does 5 or 6 accounts a day, 4 days a week. He turns customers away because he is busy enough.

$700+ a week after gas and expenses, sits on his butt most of the time, reports to no one, works the hours he wants. In the off season he does mulching and tree work. He paid off all his equipment a long time ago. Not a bad deal. If it rains, he puts on a poncho and goes to work. Oh, he does not speak Spanish.

You guys are so quick to rag on some line of work yet those guys are laughing while you work 40 hours a week busting but for a boss complaining about your low wages and no work.
Your not in South Florida, that industry is dominated by the Latino community and Spanish is required. Most of the big companies probably don't pay too well and I see these guy's busting their backs, sometimes on weekends but they get time and half so they probably welcome it.

No, I am not complaining about my income, have I ever? Nope, it's others I worry about. Not everyone is privileged with great paying jobs and a uphill climb to success here.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:

No it's not 1950 anymore in Florida but all the baby boomers who grew up in the good'ole days of the 50's are moving here in droves. Cant' say their grand kids will be doing the same in 50 years, I highly doubt it.

Florida is severely lacking good jobs in many sectors for degree holding candidates, aside from Medical and Wealth Management there isn't much there with the given population and outflow of graduating students. I speak from experience, I hire a lot of interns and full-timers from the local pool of colleges and beyond. Many complain on how tough the job market is here, some have friends who majored in Engineering and they are taking jobs out of their sector because they cannot find anything here. Many are a planning on moving because the COL is too high here or the work is just not there. Brain drain is a real big problem in this state. Even if you can find a job, the salary will often be below market. Some of my interns and recent grads have upwards of $100K in student loan debt.

Laying down a blanket statement that there is widespread growth in all sectors is not the case, the influx of Baby Boomers is not going to create jobs in one sector but it may create jobs in another, albeit often low paying service jobs for many. If you have a degree in Electrical Engineering, odds are your going to be looking for work in tech, those Baby Boomers are not going to be creating tech jobs in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida