Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM

62 posts, read 376,563 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know this is a strange question, but it is getting to be the season and I am starting to get the bug. In So Cal, I could drive a couple of hours and be at the slopes, and I realize that nothing is quite that close to Florida. However, what is the closest ski resort (I'm in Fernandina Beach)? Is it doable in a weekend?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Steamboat Springs, Co, is the closest ski resort. It is only a 4 hour plane ride and 2 hour drive away!

Seriously, you won't find any good skiing anywhere near Florida. The closest ski lifts are Beach Mountain and north of that in North Carolina. There used to be a few ski lifts in Scaly Mountain and Sky Valley along the Georgia / North Carolina border, but now all they do is snow (more like ice) tubing.

It will take you at least 8 hours driving to get from Central Florida to the border of North Carolina. That's driving at night, one stop, and average speed of 80mph. To get to Beach mountain from there is probably another 1-1.5 hours.

Let's see, if you left from your office at 5:00 pm Friday, drove 10 hours, you could be at Beach Mountain by 3:00 Saturday morning. Sleep in your car for 3 hours, then get some breakfast and hit the slope by 8:00, ski all day, eat some grub and get some rest; hit the slope on Sunday and ski till 4:00 pm, then boogie on back to Florida, and you should be back by 2:00 am, and still be able to get 4 hours sleep before going to work!

Yes, it's do-able. Nope, I've never done it for skiing.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:38 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Prichard is a bit pessimistic on the driving time. I live in Port St. Lucie, which is 4 hours South of Fernandina Beach. For 18 years, I owned a cabin in West Jefferson, NC, which is about 45 minutes further North than Beech Mountain. I made the drive arround 8 to 10 times per year, or at least 150 round trips. I could do it in 10-1/2 hours by pushing it, but 11 hours was average.

Subtract the 4 hours I had to travel before I got to Fernandina Beach, and 7 hours is more than enough time to get to Beech Mountain, traveling about 5 over the limit, with a reasonable stop for gas and pee.

There is also a ski area in Boone, which is about the same time to reach.

However, be warned that these would be bunny slopes compared to western ski areas. Heck, they're bunny slopes compared to New England ski areas, which is where I learned to ski those many years ago. They also rely heavily on snow machines and won't be the snow conditions you might expect.

The positive thing is, in Florida you're probably as close (both in time and expense) to the Swiss Alps as you are to Colorado.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Sorry, I didn't see that you were in Fernandina Beach. I was basing drive time from Orlando. As I drive back and forth to Clayton Georgia (NW Georgia) frequently, I've got that drive time down to minutes, depending on which day and what time of day I leave.

I learned to ski in North Carolina as a kid. The slopes were icy and it hurt when you fell. But it was fun, and you could learn how to ski well enough. But, once you've skied out west, you will pay whatever it takes NOT to ever have to ski in North Carolina again!!!

My suggestion is that you take up surfing, windsurfing, kite-sailing or just plain old sailing, and save skiing for once a year when you can afford to do it right. I was an avid water skier as a teenager, and when I moved over to the west coast water skiing was no longer an option. It was like going through withdraw, until I discovered windsurfing. If I had to pick between windsurfing and snow skiing, I'd take windsurfing any day. It's physical, challenging, takes skill, beautiful scenary, and in Florida, it's a winter sport. That's right, you'll learn to love those 50 degree windy days when the fronts come through. YOU'RE IN FLORIDA!!! You just need to learn to battle nature on the water instead of the snow.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 PM

62 posts, read 376,563 times
Thanks for the responses!! Oh well, no more waking up Saturday morning and deciding to "hit the slopes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida