Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardNole View Post
I would avoid South Florida. Terrible values, schools, and environment.

Plus one for you.

2 1/2 years in Florida and loving it but the people here are so darn liberal with no moral values, no family values and raising kids like animals.

Sad.

Thank goodness my neighborhood/town is void of those types of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Anyone else joining me in the countdown until Sunny's daughter discovers she's a lesbian?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:44 PM

30 posts, read 100,277 times
Hi, while raising a family in Florida isn't too bad, the ages of your children do matter. Will they "grow up, or grow into" Florida? East - West is a good idea, more stuff to do on the East coast though. Watch out for ghost towns, sink holes, flooding, and mold issues when purchasing a home here. School systems check the areas out first, but the neighborhoods around the school too. Remember, you child will be bused to the school. Read up on school lockdowns and be informed.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester007 View Post
Please recommend some cities to raise kids.

On the coast (doesn't matter west/east) with lots of water activities
Good schools a must
In / near a medium sized city (population >50k) OR within 1 hour drive of biggish city (population >200k)
Waterfront or water-view single family home available for under $500k
More of a family vibe than retiree vibe
College or university nearby is a plus, not necessary though
Job outlook not important

Thanks!!
You've given no information about yourself.

And you live in SEATTLE??? LOl

The best rated school districts are North - So I vote Jacksonville area/ Ponte Vedra Beach.

Top 10 FL public schools and school districts in Florida - NeighborhoodScout

It's a very family vibe place. Quiet and laid back. With lots of relocations from elsewhere. Lots of outdoor things to do. You MIGHT get a waterfront single house on the river. I don't know about the beach.

Jax boundaries are weird because they annexed the suburbs onto the city decades ago. So it's 850 sq miles. Downtown is tiny. So "Jax" per se is like one huge suburb except for the little down town and a couple contiguous areas.

I live in Vero Beach.

The retiree vibe? Pffft. How do you like the wealth vibe?

The barrier island is GORGEOUS and there is a very nice private school there. Plenty of kids here.Every single school has been expanding. But the demographic is equal between under 18 and over 65 from what I remember.

NOW Vero Beach city is TINY 17K people. But the MSA is large approx 150K people.

If we didn't have FAMILIES we wouldn't have the Riverside Children's Theater with professional programs.

http://riversidechildrenstheatre.org/

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-15-2013 at 04:57 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

The best rated school districts are North - So I vote Jacksonville area/ Ponte Vedra Beach.

It's a very family vibe place. Quiet and laid back. With lots of relocations from elsewhere. Lots of outdoor things to do. You MIGHT get a waterfront single house on the river. I don't know about the beach.

Jax boundaries are weird because they annexed the suburbs onto the city decades ago. So it's 850 sq miles. Downtown is tiny. So "Jax" per se is like one huge suburb except for the little down town and a couple contiguous areas.

I live in Vero Beach.

The barrier island is GORGEOUS and there is a very nice private school there. Plenty of kids here.Every single school has been expanding. But the demographic is equal between under 18 and over 65 from what I remember.

NOW Vero Beach city is TINY 17K people. But the MSA is large approx 150K people.

If we didn't have FAMILIES we wouldn't have the Riverside Children's Theater with professional programs.

Riverside Children's Theatre | RCT is the leading children
Since when is 150k big for a metro? Tampa could make sense, if you look in South Tampa, although Palm Beach is beautiful, close to Miami, and that metro has 5.5 Million, but schools are excellent.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowardNole View Post
I would avoid South Florida. Terrible values, schools, and environment.
Depends on where you go. For instance Parkland has great schools, but say Lauderhill doesn't. It really varies town to town.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

I live in Vero Beach.

Riverside Children's Theatre | RCT is the leading children
I personally would go with viera/Melbourne aka the space coast over vero "zero" beach. Sorry but vero screams retired beach town. Brevard county schools also rank higher and it's closer to Orlando

Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 PM

Even though NASA isn't quite what it once was, school quality tends to track with parental SES, and there are still an awful lot of rocket scientist types with school age kids in Brevard County (Melbourne area).

Old 11-16-2013, 12:44 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Anyone else joining me in the countdown until Sunny's daughter discovers she's a lesbian?

Aint going to happen. She already has a boyfriend so you as usual are wrong once again.

She is not sick in the head.

Nice attack and verbal shot against the TOS here mousey.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:10 AM

No TOS- I said nothing inherently insulting under common American standards of modern decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida