Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,392 times

Advertisements

I'm a filmmaker who lives in North Port, FL, moved from Miami to Sarasota and later built a house in North Port. I would not change the North Port style of life for anything, the school system here is one of the best in the nation, nice people, all new builds, and LOW cost housing. I commute to Sarasota, Orlando and even Miami, other clients come to North Port for Music Video shots and modeling. Obtaining film permits in Sarasota County and the City of North Port is painless and free. The City of North Port keeps growing with a Super Target under construction on the corner of Price and Toledo Blade. Toledo Blade Blvd is scheduled to be expanded to 4 lanes at the bigining of 2007. The US 41 corridors are changing, as more businesses move to the area. In less that 10 years we've gone from 22,000 people to over 50,000, with the capacity of quater of a million, Sarasota county is trying to control anexation.

Traffic can get bad at times, but I75 is scheduled to be widden to 6 lanes, and River Rd will become an Interstate, just like I-75 connecting Englewood to the rest of the world.

Crime went up a little, but action has been taken. People just to say that the NPPD is the worst whan it comes to speeders, I always do 9 over the speed limits, passed many of them, and never gotten a ticket, as a matter of fact I never spoken to the police in the past 7 years I been living here, unless it was film related.

North Port is the city of the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 08:14 PM

44 posts, read 154,522 times
I agree with Jim S. We love it here. There are good schools and alot to do for the kids. North Port has experienced a rapid growth in the last two years, that is why the schools are crowded, they just opened an new school this year and soon will have another elementary and middle school. The commute to Sarasota is usually uneventful. but there are times when an accident occurs and you are tied up for awhile. I travel it daily. The good outweighs the bad. I say come on down and enjoy what we have to offer

Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,692 times
Don't waste your time or money with moving North Port! The real estate prices are going up while the job market is way down. Not a good place, Venice has many more possibilities!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 PM

191 posts, read 665,947 times
How does Northport compair to Naples for crime?
I just bought a home in GG estates and now decided to not take it even though its beautifula nd on alot of land but the crime problem scares me. The ac compressor was stollen and than the water meter and even the sheriff there says dont put in the appliances and a new ac unit til I am down there and move in as if to saythat it will be stollen in the next 4 weeks after closing if the home is left vacant. I dont feel too safe about moving there and with all the vacant homes and forclosures in Northport as well, how do I know I would be safe there? Yes I plan to take reasonable precautions to protect myself but One should not have to live in fear to get a nice house. Please reply.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 AM

80 posts, read 340,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPfemale View Post
Don't waste your time or money with moving North Port! The real estate prices are going up while the job market is way down. Not a good place, Venice has many more possibilities!
Yes, it is wonderful that North Port is one of the few area's in Florida where homes prices have now based and are starting to increase slowly. Homes are selling at a rate of about 150 per month per MLS in the City of North Port and there are just 700 listed presently with more then half of those pending closing. At that rate, if it continues, available inventory may become a problem and new construction will once again begin. All in all just wonderful news for all residents, investors and the working man.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,733,427 times
Thumbs up North Port

I would say yes to North Port. North Port was the only Suncoast city that's crime rate lowered in 2008. There police force is out protecting the city. North Port has a younger crowd because it's really a younger city. It's not too big, but it's not too small either. The people are friendly, and it's a just a nice city. I would say Yes to North Port.

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,413 times
Northport has more negatives than positives, it has hundred of abandoned homes , many that have never been finished. And no code enforcement.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 7,581 times
Are there any nice apartment or condo rentals in Northport? I plan to move in a year. My 10 yr odl son and I...
Looking to rent for awhile to make sure fit is for us. Moving from Illinois.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,960 times
I am a Native of Florida. Grew up in Bradenton. North Port reminds of the "old" Bradenton with the exception that the people are vastly different. However, I love Nort Port, I have been down here for 9 years. I live where there is not alot of people so for that I am blessed. In my neighborhood everyone for the most part are friendly & minds their own business. I feel very safe in my "world". I greatly appreciate our North Port Police Dept. & I am proud that they don't play around. When you call them they are on the ball & you don't get just one !! You have Venice, Sarasota, Bradenton on one side & Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda (which is just beautiful) & Ft. Myers on the other with Englewood in the middle. Really it depends on what your looking for as this is not a Tampa/Ft. Lauderdale Metropolitan type area thankfully we are just the opposite. Right now I would not trade my piece of paradise because for me, there is no place like "home" & North Port is my home.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandl6@verizon.net View Post
Do not move to North Port! We are getting out as soon as we can. Every piece of land with trees is being demolished, there are over 700 empty brand new homes that are being built for no reason, the traffic is terrible, pot holes everywhere, a very corrupt police department, not enough schools , taxes in Sarasota County are too high and getting higher, crime is escalating rapidly. Do not move to North Port!!!!
Agreed.
Moving to North Port would be a mistake. Southwest Florida area homes are still a bargain. Buy in the best location you can. Sarasota is a jewel, art and culture capital of Florida, best beach in the US (ranked by Dr beach 2011) etc. It will be more than 30 min. from Naples though. If you can't find the home you need for the price there, look at Venice and make sure you visit the historic downtown, parks beaches, etc on the island. Still more than 30 mins. to Naples.

Punta Gorda has a small downtown, nice park on water but lacks real beaches, but it is closer to Naples.

North Port has no downtown, beaches, etc nothing that people move to Florida for. It's claim to fame is that it has miles of dirt cheap lots and builders can crank out cookie cutter small cheap homes by the thousands when things heat up again. Drive down 41 in NP, strip malls and mobile home entrances and fast food. In 5 years home prices in the nice places along the coast (Sarasota, Venice) will be much higher. That's when a lot of people will have to settle for North Port because it's all they can afford.

Real estate is location, location, location. I'm not anti North Port but with prices still so low, buy the best location you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida