Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area in Florida would you move to?
Tampa 11 44.00%
Fort Lauderdale 9 36.00%
West Palm Beach 4 16.00%
Other 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not a big city? So a metropolitan population of almost two million people is a small town? Palm Beach with a metro population of almost one and a half million?

In whose screwed up world are they not big cities?
A big city is NYC, Washington, Philly, Miami, Atlanta, etc. West Palm isn't a.big city, but it is a medium sized city, but is dependent on Miami, like Newark, Wilmington, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:13 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
The deal is that Miami and Fort Lauderdale are considered one metro area. While West Palm Beach is part of the ENTIRE south Florida metro area, West Palm has it's own media mrket is a kind of a small city on it's own. I think Boca Raton is different than West Palm as well. Boca seems to be more part of the Miami Ft Lauderdale area, while West Palm is it's own thing while still umbrella'd under south Florida. South Florida in general is busier, faster-paced, more immigrants, more hustle and bustle, people are no BS types. Either you have your group of friends or you're bored and like, nobody likes you. Also, a lot of flash and dash, a lot of consumerism and flashy homes, cars, and people. These flashier types typically have made their money elsewhere and come to south FL to "live the high life" ..... now, of course not all people of south FL are like that, but some are. I think south FL also has more poor people to be honest. A ghetto/thug/ive-overcome-adversity vibe to it. Like this "i'm a thug and im gangsta" energy. Yo im from the streets, son! ya heard meh? I'm gangsta like dat bro. .... yo, i move bricks, meng.
But it's a diverse place, but you'll notice all types in south FL However, there are nice beaches, warmer winters in south FL over Tampa. Also, more nightlife and more options for shopping, etc.

Tampa is really not a whole lot to write home about. I think Clearwater, st. Pete, Pinellas county along the coast is really nice. Sand key Beach outside of Clearwater is gorgeous. Tampa downtown is pretty boring, not gonna lie. oh you'll probably hear people taking about "ChannelSide"..... it's an outdoor shopping plaze with restaurants, etc. But it's pretty dodge. They have some chain restaurants......and that's really it. But Tampa is loaded with gorgeous parks and pinellas county has beautiful beaches. A little slower pace, colder winters tho. While I visited there in January.....lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s very frequently. While not too cold for Jan....south FL was sitting at 79 to 81 degrees. on Jan.... so u get the jist

Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
It's a joke to say Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm are anything like Newark. A really bad joke.

Media market has nothing to with it.

Under your apparent criteria there are about 5 "real cities" in America, with the rest being suburbs of mega-cities.

Palm Beach does not exist to serve as sleeping quarters or a service town for Miami. In fact, it was founded before Miami.

While I'm sure there are some who commute to Miami for work, the vast majority do not, and the majority of Miami commerce is conducted by Miami and southern Broward residents.

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-Palm Beach are all part of the South Florida megalopolis. Or, alternatively, the Miami "Metropolitan area." But, like the "New York Metropolitan area," the areas within same are not necessarily "suburbs" of New York. Like Trenton, NJ is "NY Metro," but is not a suburb of New York!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida