Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2pa View Post
Right now, I make a few $ more /hr than my fiance with a much higher ceiling in the architecture/design field. The good news though is that if she gets a transfer within her company we would be within a 10 mile radius of Tampa(if we continue our search on the Gulf) as there are nearly 10 locations for her to land. This would put me in a larger location to find a bigger architecture office to work.

For the real estate question, I would love to work for a large development company in either an investment/land acquisitions/design type of position. I'd like to eventually invest in real estate on my own but would like to work for a larger company to gain what would be important real world experiences.

As far as Naples goes, we have completely ruled that out. Like I said before our jobs would be the #1 focus before the move even though we've kind of started our research in reverse. If we find that the Tampa area is where we want but I cannot find a job there then we would need to look elsewhere. Perhaps we should start again and look at professions first and see where that leads us. The move, if it occurs, won't be for another 8-12 months so looking seriously for jobs is somewhat unreasonable right now which is why we started with locations first. Because my fiance's job is basically set in stone and I am a little more open and flexible because of my education and different interests it's easier to go with her job as the base point. That is how we ended up in Pittsburgh from Ohio. However, b/c I will be earning more, If I were to land something great, we would probably have to go in that direction.

Thanks Again for all of your insight. It's giving us great things to consider!
Well Tampa is one of the 4 major metro areas in Florida (although I'm not familiar with the job market there). Where else in Florida is your fiance's employer located?

I would honestly start with the job first - and let the jobs guide me to the location. And I don't think 8-12 months out is too soon to start for any kind of professional position. At least in terms of exploring companies and the types of positions they have open from time to time (even though none might be available today).

Also - if you're going to have anything to do with architecture - you need a Florida license - and how do you get it? It took my husband and I a couple of years to go through the hassle of Florida Bar stuff before we moved here. I doubt anything could be more of a PITA than becoming a member of the Florida Bar if you're out of state - but architects probably have to jump through a few hoops to get a state license. Being licensed is important because there are only 2 groups of professionals that can sign/seal/file building plans in Florida - architects and engineers. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Excellent comments. It amazes me how people don't mention jobs and salaries.

The OP said combined they're now bringing in 70K, what happens when that drops to half?

All the fun things posted to do in FL cost $$$$$$$$$.

They should look at TX if they want a warmer climate and come to FL on vacation.
I can't imagine people like the OP and his fiance making a total of $35k/year. When my husband and I first moved here - pretty much fresh out of school - we made a total of about $22k/year - and that was in 1973! Robyn

Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM

30 posts, read 45,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well Tampa is one of the 4 major metro areas in Florida (although I'm not familiar with the job market there). Where else in Florida is your fiance's employer located?

I would honestly start with the job first - and let the jobs guide me to the location. And I don't think 8-12 months out is too soon to start for any kind of professional position. At least in terms of exploring companies and the types of positions they have open from time to time (even though none might be available today).

Also - if you're going to have anything to do with architecture - you need a Florida license - and how do you get it? It took my husband and I a couple of years to go through the hassle of Florida Bar stuff before we moved here. I doubt anything could be more of a PITA than becoming a member of the Florida Bar if you're out of state - but architects probably have to jump through a few hoops to get a state license. Being licensed is important because there are only 2 groups of professionals that can sign/seal/file building plans in Florida - architects and engineers. Robyn
You are right. I'm currently an intern architect and will be for the next couple of years. To be a licensed architect we need a professional degree(which I completed last year), about 3 years worth of internship hours and we have 7 registration exams to pass. So I won't actually be an architect for a couple more years while I complete the exams and my hours.

According to Google Maps her business has offices all around Tampa and then there's 3 on the east coast from Coral Springs to West Palm beach. I did do a little searching today and found several "Intern Friendly" (according to AIA) firms in Tampa. I think with everything we've learned so far we are now shifting our focus over to jobs.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:

Good advice...

Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 PM

105 posts, read 135,449 times
Default Great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
So, if you can live with the the bugs, the heat isn't an issue, aren't afraid of mosquitoes, snakes, sharks or gators, can prepare for hurricanes and stay away from lightning, have a stable job lined up, are willing to have your home inspected for CDW, you can go to the beach and stay clear of the stingrays and not get caught in a riptide and can figure out where you want to live...you should be good to go [/color]
Thanks for the very thorough write-up.

We did visit in the summer---once in August and I think twice in June. I found the humidity in southern Alabama on the way down much more unbearable than anything we experienced in Florida. Plus, the summers here in Chicago aren't any picnic either. We can get temps approaching 100 with high humidity. So I know what that feels like.

As far as alligators, well I don't think we'd be going south in the state--if anywhere, Tampa, Clearwater, etc. We have mosquitos here too. And I don't plan on doing anything that would purposely bring me to an encounter with a snake. I'm not crazy about the stories I've heard/pics I seen of those Palmetto bugs though! Are those everywhere in FL? Or does one part of the state have more/less of them than another?

When we go to the beach, we don't venture too far out into the water so I'm not worried about riptides.

Thanks for the great information on homes built after 94 having a lower insurance rate. Is that a global statement? Or just certain types of homes or the certain areas they're in?

All in all, I think everything you brought up is nothing I haven't experienced or can't handle. If we sold our house here in the next year or two, we would be probably making only enough money for the move itself so the only major thing left is the job market. My wife is in logistics so I don't think she'd have a problem finding a job in a major city. I, on the other hand, am in the printing business (pre-press operator/graphic designer) and I would almost have to end up looking in the Tampa area (don't want be anywhere too south of there). I found out that there's a company in Clearwater that we deal with up here so that would be my diamond in the rough. Way too many variables though. Are they hiring? Would they need someone like me? etc. etc. At least one chance is better than nothing at all.

SO....like I said in a previous post, it will probably take winning the lottery to be able to relocate In the mean time, it sure is fun to dream! After all, isn't true happiness the pursuit of happiness?

Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Thanks for the very thorough write-up.

We did visit in the summer---once in August and I think twice in June. I found the humidity in southern Alabama on the way down much more unbearable than anything we experienced in Florida. Plus, the summers here in Chicago aren't any picnic either. We can get temps approaching 100 with high humidity. So I know what that feels like.

As far as alligators, well I don't think we'd be going south in the state--if anywhere, Tampa, Clearwater, etc. We have mosquitos here too. And I don't plan on doing anything that would purposely bring me to an encounter with a snake. I'm not crazy about the stories I've heard/pics I seen of those Palmetto bugs though! Are those everywhere in FL? Or does one part of the state have more/less of them than another?

When we go to the beach, we don't venture too far out into the water so I'm not worried about riptides.

Thanks for the great information on homes built after 94 having a lower insurance rate. Is that a global statement? Or just certain types of homes or the certain areas they're in?

All in all, I think everything you brought up is nothing I haven't experienced or can't handle. If we sold our house here in the next year or two, we would be probably making only enough money for the move itself so the only major thing left is the job market. My wife is in logistics so I don't think she'd have a problem finding a job in a major city. I, on the other hand, am in the printing business (pre-press operator/graphic designer) and I would almost have to end up looking in the Tampa area (don't want be anywhere too south of there). I found out that there's a company in Clearwater that we deal with up here so that would be my diamond in the rough. Way too many variables though. Are they hiring? Would they need someone like me? etc. etc. At least one chance is better than nothing at all.

SO....like I said in a previous post, it will probably take winning the lottery to be able to relocate In the mean time, it sure is fun to dream! After all, isn't true happiness the pursuit of happiness?
I believe Palmetto bugs are located throughout FL. They are commonly referred to as the state bird. LOL If you get a good pest control company that will reduce your chances of seeing them in your home. You will see them outside, mostly under rotting logs, in mulch, etc.

There were several changes in insurance over the last several years. Some things that insurance agents take into consideration-the age of the home, style of roof(hip roof is best), how close the home is to a natural body of water or fire hydrant, how the roof is tied on, if the home has hurricane shutters or impact resistant glass, if the home has a Miami-Dade rated garage door, if the home is frame or block. These are just a few of the criteria they use to give an insurance quote. There are more but these are some of the biggies.

Another huge concern right now is flood zones. Flood zone designations X are considered minimal risk, lenders do not require flood insurance.

Flood zone designations A, AE or V are considered flood zones. A does not have a base flood elevation completed, AE has base flood elevation information available. V zones are coastal high velocity zones.

Base Flood Elevations (BFE) are the key to the new flood insurance rates. Homes built pre-1974, or PreFIRM, are the ones that have been receiving subsidized flood insurance rates for decades. Those are the ones most impacted by the revised flood insurance program. Congress did just pass legislation that would cap the annual rate increases to 15% per year for primary residence owners & 25% per year on non-primary residences, but insurance rates will keep increasing on an annual basis for those properties until the owners are paying non-subsidized rates. To cover the cost of the changes to the flood insurance program, all flood insurance policy holders will pay a $25/year surcharge on residential policies and $250/year surcharge on all non-primary residences and commercial properties. You need to look carefully at this if you are considering buying.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
As far as alligators, well I don't think we'd be going south in the state--if anywhere, Tampa, Clearwater, etc.
Alligators are found all over Florida, as well as Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana and as far north in Alabama as the Tennessee River, only about 20-25 miles south of the Alabama-Tennessee line.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
...As far as alligators, well I don't think we'd be going south in the state--if anywhere, Tampa, Clearwater, etc. We have mosquitos here too. And I don't plan on doing anything that would purposely bring me to an encounter with a snake. I'm not crazy about the stories I've heard/pics I seen of those Palmetto bugs though! Are those everywhere in FL? Or does one part of the state have more/less of them than another?
Alligators are just everywhere in Florida. Here's one that was removed from our golf course:

TPC Sawgrass Agronomy: Alligator relocation on THE PLAYERS Stadium

OTOH - the only times I've ever worried even a bit about them were when we were canoeing - and there was a chance our canoe might capsize.

Snakes are all over. Not only in our suburban yard - but I even saw one once on the sidewalk of our Miami condo. OTOH - what I mostly see when it comes to snakes is the skins they've shed. They want to see you about as much as you want to see them.

Palmetto bugs are everywhere. Again - OTOH - they - unlike northern cockroaches - are outdoor critters. If they get into your house - it's by accident (open windows/doors/no screens/etc.).

Quote:
Riptides are often close to shore. But - at attended beaches - riptide warnings will go up when there are riptides. And a little knowledge - like knowing not to fight against the riptides (and to go parallel to the shore) - will go a long way in terms of beach safety.

Quote:
Date of construction is important. Location and elevation are also important. But the way your house is built is important too. Our house is post-94 - but we get a substantial windstorm discount for block construction - the way our roof is attached to the house - a roof line without gables (all hip) - and impact windows/doors. Note that the minimum windstorm deductible with our insurance company is 2%. Also - it can take quite a while for companies to respond to storm claims. Owning a house here without having an "emergency nest egg" to pay for things out-of-pocket after a storm isn't a good idea IMO. Robyn

Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Thanks - I could use the rep points - a million would go a long way - might even get me a free coffee at Starbucks . FWIW - my husband and I moved to Miami in the early 70's - when we were in our 20's. We're lawyers. Miami was the "wild west" for lawyers back then - especially lawyers from Ivy League schools. It was during the recession of '73-'74 and we figured we had nothing to lose. But we did pass the Florida Bar and secured 2 ok paying jobs (for those times) before we moved here.

Things turned out more than ok for us here in Florida. For a lawyer today - the odds aren't as good (there were 15k lawyers in Florida when we moved here - 95k now - the profession is very overcrowded today).

For an architect - architecture is kind of an oddball profession today. Some architects/firms are highly sought after - but most tend to languish because of the economics of building. If I were looking for a job in architecture in Florida - I'd look at one of the bigger trendier firms in Miami - like Arquitectonica - or perhaps one of the more conventional solid firms (Haskell in the JAX metro area where I live is one of those). I sure wouldn't expect to make a living by opening up my own office (although stranger things have happened). Like I mentioned to the OP - OK architecture jobs would be most likely found in the major metro areas of Florida.

FWIW - I know the OP is looking at south Florida - but we have a lot of decent opportunities here in NE Florida (our health care industry in particular is ). Robyn
I'll likely get blasted for saying this, but if I were looking to move to Florida from "up north", especially just starting out in a career, I'd steer clear of the Miami area. I lived there for 38+ years, and saw this first hand, it can be difficult to get a job, especially in some areas if one is not Hispanic. They'll tell you that it's essential to be able to speak Spanish, and the inability to do so disqualifies one for almost any particular job, but in reality, it doesn't matter if a candidate does speak Spanish, the job will most likely go to an applicant who is of the same ethnicity as the owners, employees, CEOs, interviewers (as applicable).

This tendency seems to be more prevalent in business and retail related jobs, but I've seen it in the building industry as well, so I'd imagine the OP might have a more difficult time finding an architecture job than his wife would a job as an x-ray tech in a healthcare facility, but that, as always, depends on supply and demand. As you mention, opening one's own business is a possibility, but I've seen non-Hispanics do that too, only to see their businesses go under because the Hispanic majority in Miami ( and too a lesser extent, Caribbean blacks) prefers to patronize the businesses of their compatriots. I've even seen a business or two own by non-Hispanics undercut by Hispanics, and snubbed by Hispanics. They look at it as taking care of their own.

Couple all that with the high cost of living in Miami- it's very difficult for a young non-Hispanic couple without a support system of their own to survive in this arena.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:30 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ditto. More senior citizens than you can ever imagine. Times ten.
That's for sure! Robyn and her DH would be the sweet young things in that neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida