Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 25,658 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Florida from the Kansas City MO area. We work and live in a suburb about 20mins from downtowm KC. My question and problem- Pensacola or Clearwater area? I have been to Pensacola before the hurricanes and loved it. The only other part of Florida I have been to is the Okeechobee area where family is (and that has been years). I need advise- which area is cheaper to live in? I know that the Tampa area is much bigger and busier, but is it better? Any help or advise is appreciated, I have been reading all sorts of info on the web, I need honest thoughts from those who live there. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
Are you going to need jobs and what is your housing budget?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM

83 posts, read 206,393 times
Talking Clearwater or Pensacola

I lived in Pensacola and the Gulf Breeze area for yrs and stupidly moved to western nc. I cannot wait to get back to the Gulf Breeze, Pensacola Beach area! A lot depends upon your job or economic situation or schools. Gulf Breeze has the best schools. Pensacola has two great colleges. The only problem is the economic situation. Very few jobs. The crime stats for Pensacola are high depending on where in that area. The NE is the best. In Gulf Breeze, the crime is low and has a small town feel. If you need anymore info, I'll be glad to chime in. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,767 times
To get fair answers I think you need to post your question in the Tampa Bay forum as well since many of the residents there probably won't read your question in the general forum.

Personally, I was never as happy as the day I left Pensacola (Gulf Breeze actually) but it all depends on what you're looking for. I don't see how you can base a move simply on which area is cheaper. You have inexpensive and expensive areas and in between in both places. I think your number one concern has to be jobs and how much the job pays. Unless you don't need jobs?

Also, if you will be visiting your family often, you will be driving much further from the Pensacola area.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,579 times
I live in Tampa Bay. Clearwater is not my choice but I don't think it's a bad choice. Worst case scenario you can get a place in Westchase (a gorgeous area) which is right before you hop on the bridge to get to Clearwater (SR 60/Courtney Campbell Causeway).

As for Pensacola, I have heard some people who lived there and they were thrilled to leave. I guess it's all in preference.

What are you looking for in an area? Do you have a job? Would you need to rent or will you be pruchasing a home right away? If you can answer these, we can help a little further

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,630 times
Clearwater, much closer to a decent city, major sports, awesome beach, Busch Gardens. Alot more happening, I would be bored outta mind in Pensacola. Remember, the lower cost of living usually means less things to do and much less decent paying job opportunities. I think the most important thing for your family will be the culture shock, you'll see when you get down here though.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM

I know for me, I am definatly not partial to Clearwater beach. There are these water spider things in the water. I was there with family and we thought it was seaweed (which there is a lot of that there too) and it was moving! They were spiders-sea spiders?? lol . But that and the sand is grainy as well as over crowded and over priced. The water isn't clear as the name "Clearwater" gives, lol . My choice on a gulf beach is Siesta Key-clear water, sugar sand beaches, free parking, and less expensive concession stands.

I agree with the location, there is much more to do located there rather than Pensacola...

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Clearwater, much closer to a decent city, major sports, awesome beach, Busch Gardens. Alot more happening, I would be bored outta mind in Pensacola. Remember, the lower cost of living usually means less things to do and much less decent paying job opportunities. I think the most important thing for your family will be the culture shock, you'll see when you get down here though.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 25,658 times
Thanks everyone. To add to my info- it will be me, my 22yr son and his boyfriend. We will be transferring management for Walmart, so jobs are not the issue. I also have a background in the hotel business, so I can go either way. I will be renting, they will rent then buy. My visiting my family often is not an issue, many of them I have never met. College is something all of us are interested in, so primary or secondary schools are not an issue unless I get my degree done. I understand that all towns/cities have nice and not-so-nice areas, I just wonder where I don't need to live. Again, any info anybody can give will be great. Thanks alot

Old 10-28-2009, 11:26 AM

I would stick with the Clearwater/Tampa Bay area...more hotels, more Walmarts, more colleges, more things to do for younger adults and adults, and many more apartments/rentals to offer. Overall, this area has more to offer than Pensacola does...

Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
My experience with Pensacola is limited to when my kid went to college there for a year.

I lived in Tampa but worked in Pinellas County (where Clearwater is located) back in the 80s.

The panhandle generally has lower real estate costs but there is less to do there. It also gets colder.

Clearwater is much more crowded but with more to do both there and Tampa.

In your situation I'd say you would be OK either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida