Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 11:34 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A comment from Canada regarding FL weather is like Bill Gates talking about food stamps.

Clueless.
I hate hot weather. Lived in the tropics for 17 sultry years, and don't miss it at all.

Love it up here. Its a beautiful day outside today, 60 F and sunny with a dew point of 32 F.

And I don't live anywhere near Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Quote:
It is not disproportionate at all. The volume of people is the reason for a larger amount of crime or what some think is "weird"
California is home to almost exactly twice as many people as Florida, and you hear about weird crimes much less frequently there. Ditto Texas, which is home to more people than Florida, and New York, which is home to about as many people as Florida.

It is grossly disproportionate.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times
Quote:
It is not disproportionate at all. The volume of people is the reason for a larger amount of crime or what some think is "weird"

So if NC has 1/2 the population of FL, it should have 1/2 the crazy/bizarre/disgusting stories... Right?

But it doesnt.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM

3,323 posts, read 2,134,319 times
While a greater population should logically beget a greater chance for strange goings-on, it would be foolish to assume this is the only relevant factor. In Florida's case: transiency, illegal aliens, relative poverty, and lackluster K-12 education appear to be huge albatrosses also worthy of consideration.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:21 PM

I had someone say to me just a few weeks ago... this is a well respected, professional that works for Orange Co. He said he will not honk at anyone or make obsense gestures or anything anymore in a dispute on the roads. He said you dont know what ppl will do.

This makes me nervous b/c not only do I run out of patience with idiots and careless drivers on the roads at times, but I'd hate for someone I love to honk at someone or whatever, and someone take it to the extreme. This is why I'm not convinced that I will stay in the state of FL long-term. I dont want my beautiful daughters around that type of environment. Its scary enough when your kids get old enough to drive, but then to deal with this stuff. No thanks. And its sad, b/c when we moved back to Central FL, I never thought I'd possibly think of returning to the Carolina's one day... but I have to admit, I am. It's just a better place to raise a family. It sux and it's disapointing, but my family and the environment they're in is much more important than warm weather, beaches, etc.

Anyone in same boat as I am?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:07 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I hate hot weather. Lived in the tropics for 17 sultry years, and don't miss it at all.

Love it up here. Its a beautiful day outside today, 60 F and sunny with a dew point of 32 F.

And I don't live anywhere near Canada.

I hate cold weather (anything below 50 F). Lived in the tropics longer than in the northern climes.

Jersey, eh?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 PM

And in what nirvana is it that there is no road rage? I mean a place with a population. 'dispute on the roads' what a ridiculous concept.

NC deputy decides not to quit after road rage in SC caught on ta - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

Couple appear in court after videotaped road rage shooting in NC - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

SC dad fatally shot in apparent road rage after crash, deputies - Local news, weather, sports Savannah | WSAV On Your Side

Jury finds man guilty after road rage caught on cyclist's cam - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

'Heroic' Father Risks Life for Daughter in North Carolina Road Rage Incident - Yahoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyY7pq2DsA

Road rage video leads to N.C. couple's arrest - CBS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I had someone say to me just a few weeks ago... this is a well respected, professional that works for Orange Co. He said he will not honk at anyone or make obsense gestures or anything anymore in a dispute on the roads. He said you dont know what ppl will do.

This makes me nervous b/c not only do I run out of patience with idiots and careless drivers on the roads at times, but I'd hate for someone I love to honk at someone or whatever, and someone take it to the extreme. This is why I'm not convinced that I will stay in the state of FL long-term. I dont want my beautiful daughters around that type of environment. Its scary enough when your kids get old enough to drive, but then to deal with this stuff. No thanks. And its sad, b/c when we moved back to Central FL, I never thought I'd possibly think of returning to the Carolina's one day... but I have to admit, I am. It's just a better place to raise a family. It sux and it's disapointing, but my family and the environment they're in is much more important than warm weather, beaches, etc.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:26 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,709 times
Default I brake for armadillos

Quote:

This makes me nervous b/c not only do I run out of patience with idiots and careless drivers on the roads at times, but I'd hate for someone I love to honk at someone or whatever, and someone take it to the extreme. ...
Yes, there are a lot of impatient drivers out there. Chill.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:31 PM

regarding all the NC/SC links of road rage... 1 link I couldn't get to open, and either 3 or 4 of the 7 links were the same story, just different link. In a 3 yr span.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Learn to have more patience with other drivers. They are only there for a few seconds and then they are gone. Honking is a release of anger. We should not be angry on the roads. Just live and let live.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida