Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times

Advertisements

So certainly Monroe County, FL, does not corner the market on weird news in the country, and given the state it's in it has a lot of competition. But, there is a strange mix of small town Mayberry and big city 1920s Prohibition gangster-era Chicago here that may be rather unique to the Keys. As a resident, I find nearly all of the local news stories kind of shocking - either because they publish personal information on individuals and seem so nosy into some locals' lives, or because they involve tremendous local govt. ineptitude, or because they involve some pretty shocking large-scale crimes, or because they are just plain weird.

I don't mean this to be judgmental - it is just honest that coming from elsewhere, the kind of things in the news here are REALLY different from many other places. I am used to local news stories in other places I have lived being very straightforward, covering important but usually not very surprising topics, and rather boring - discussing things like whether the new school budget passed, or a fire at a local business, or perhaps a new direction taken by city planning for opening up a business area. Keys news however seems far more passionate: full of anger and old resentments, high-powered secretive crimes, funny articles about insane events you never even knew existed, and lots of stuff covering anything and everything that might affect the local tourism industry - the means by which most people can even afford to live here.

So given that intro, I thought I would share some of the local news and events I come across. I think this will serve to better inform the many people who consider living here, and also bring a little nostalgia back to those who were once here who have since had to move away. A lot of this stuff is just interesting or rather entertaining. As an outsider learning how to become an insider, none of this is posted to embarrass or shame anyone or to criticize the Keys (because I love it here )but rather to learn about how things work down here, and what types of things affect the lives of local residents. These are the types of stories that one reads, and thinks "...Only in the Keys!"

Feel free to comment on what you see here!

Last edited by StarfishKey; 08-01-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 04:36 PM

There seems to be a rash of FL judges having problems with Ambien and alcohol lately. The best part to me about this article is our local judge proclaiming that he saw visions of the movie Fantasia in the courtroom.
----
Keys judge Slaton removed from the bench mid-case -- again

By KEYSINFONET

For the second time in a little more than a month, Monroe County Circuit Court Judge Tegan Slaton -- up for re-election in August -- had to be removed from the bench in mid-trial Friday. It’s not clear who ordered him removed.
Observers say he was incoherent in the courtroom at the Freeman Justice Center in Key West and was immediately removed from the bench.
Courts Administrator Holly Elomina would say only that "at this point, he is on voluntary leave." Staff with Judge Luis Garcia, the chief judge in the Keys, declined comment.
On June 12, Slaton, who presides over Family Court, was hearing a child dependency case when he fell asleep as an attorney was presenting him evidence. County Court Judge Wayne Miller took over that case 15 minutes after Slaton was removed.
At the time, Slaton blamed a new prescription he received for Ambien to help him battle insomnia, caused by another medication prescribed for gastrointestinal issues.
He said then he was hallucinating on the bench, seeing visions from the 1940s movie "Fantasia and the dancing brooms," and that his days of using Ambien were over.
"I wasn't here" he said then. "I was out on the bench but I wasn't here."
There has been speculation Slaton has an alcohol problem. He says he's heard the talk but categorically denies it.
Slaton is running for a second six-year term against attorneys Jack Bridges from Key Largo and Bonnie Helms from Key West. If none of the three gets 50 percent of the vote plus one vote on Aug. 26, the race would go to a Nov. 4 runoff.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM

To me, the best thing about this article is the title, which somebody really had to have intended to make me laugh...
But if you're moving down here, do prepare to wake in the middle of the night in the summer covered in sweat, and the smell of BBQ a mile down the road:
----
Iguana knocks out power to 11,000, doesn't survive

by KeysInfoNet

Blame an iguana for a brief power outage Sunday afternoon that darkened 11,000 electric customers in the Lower Keys.
"The electrical fault within [Florida Keys Electric Cooperative] territory on July 27 was triggered by an iguana climbing on a generation bus within the Marathon Key electrical substation," said Julio Torrado, spokesman for Keys Energy Services, the Lower Keys utility.
A generation bus is equipment that helps to balance load levels within electric grids.
"The iguana did not survive," Torrado noted.
"The subsequent fault resulted in an under-voltage event, which triggered a cascade of power outage within [Keys Energy's] service area," he said. The 11-minute outage started at 4:03 p.m.
Meanwhile, in the Upper Keys before dawn Tuesday, 16 homes on Adobe Casa Court in Tavernier lost power for about two hours when a transformer failed at 2:06 a.m.
"FKEC crews were dispatched and replaced a failed transformer. Power was restored at 4:34 a.m.," said FKEC spokeswoman Nikki Dunn. "We did receive a very nice e-mail thanking our lineman for their hard work and patience answering questions during the outage."

Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Does it float? Enter this Key Largo regatta

By KEYSINFONET
July 23, 2014

Eric Jones (left) and Richard Rodriguez paddle their entry during the 2012 Anything That Floats regatta. The duo won the contest's top overall prize for their vessel that was framed with PVC pipes and covered with plastic film wrap. BOB CARE

Trashy items like PVC pipe, buckets, pool noodles, plastic wrap, lawn furniture or cardboard can be bound together as hulls during Key Largo's Anything That Floats regatta race set for Aug. 16.
On the third Saturday of August each year, organizers of the wacky race task resourceful crews of two, four or more people to reuse, recycle and regenerate floatable items found around the house to construct their boats.
Boat builders need to bind together their vessels with all-purpose duct tape, plastic wrap or other sticky substances long enough to hold team members inside during the half-mile dash through a buoyed course set in Blackwater Sound from Key Largo's Caribbean Club to Sundowners and back.
Teams can employ oars, paddles or even hoist old T-shirts as sails to propel their vessel. However, entries can be disqualified for incorporating "offenders" including motors, foam, floats, rafts or pool toys.
A captains party is scheduled for 7 p.m. Aug. 15 at Señor Frijoles, mile marker 103.9 bayside. Aug. 16 is race day, with team check-in beginning at 2 p.m. at Senor Frijoles. Race events begin at 3 p.m., and boats depart from the waterfront dock at the adjacent Sundowners Restaurant. The offbeat challenge is free to enter and to watch.
Prizes are awarded in categories such as best-costumed crew, most creative vessel, fastest vessel, best hard-luck story and vessel containing the most participants that still floats. Participants must be 13 or older.
Key Largo's waterfront locations offer excellent viewing areas where spectators can cheer on team favorites and enjoy sunset with post-race live music and more fun.
For more event information, go to www.keylargoanythingthatfloatsrace.com.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Combining invasive species - preserving the environment is always a big part of living in the Keys - with sportfishing tourism:
---
This tournament combines the lobster hunt with the evil lionfish

By RYAN McCARTHY

Marathon's Tilden's Scuba Center is sponsoring a lobster tournament -- with a twist -- during this week's annual two-day lobster mini-season.
Tens of thousands of visitors are expected for mini-season, which runs from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday through 11:59 p.m. Thursday. Then lobster are off limits until the eight-month regular season starts Aug. 6.
Tilden's is rewarding bug hunters for their lobster catches -- but only if they also harvest at least one invasive lionfish. The poisonous Pacific species is proliferating and considered a threat to Keys coral reefs since they have no natural predators.
The tournament benefits Marathon resident Cathy McKoy, a longtime resident who's been diagnosed with bone cancer. "Because of that, our vendors have been extremely generous," Tilden's owner Wendy Hall said.
"She is responding to her treatment and we’re really hoping her [upcoming] surgery is successful," Hall said.
Hall said there are "$7,000 to $10,000 worth of giveaways" like dive gear, spear guns and cameras, while local hotels and restaurants have also contributed gift certificates to the cause.
Fifty percent of all $30 entry fees, and 100 percent of raffle proceeds from the tournament, will be donated to McKoy to help her cover medical expenses. The entry fee buys participants a hat and one raffle ticket and the tournament is open to the public.
First-, second- and third-place finishers receive prizes in the men's, women's and kid's categories. There's also a grand prize for the 12 heaviest lobster and most lionfish.
To find out more specifics, call 743-7255, send an e-mail to info@tildensscubacenter.com or visit Tilden's Scuba Center at 4650 Overseas Highway in Marathon. Registration is open until 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Looking at your previous thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...s-culture.html

I can see why the Florida Keys can also have its weirdness.

The Florida Keys defines Florida's tacky coastal culture. lol

Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Looking at your previous thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...s-culture.html

I can see why the Florida Keys can also have its weirdness.

The Florida Keys defines Florida's tacky coastal culture. lol
Yes, for better or worse, that is exactly the word I was thinking just this week as best describing the Keys... tacky. I mean that in a loving way... but if anybody's going to have plastic flamingos wearing bermuda shorts and hawaiian shirts on their (pearock) lawn, it would be us.

Having said that, I think the Florida Keys are far and away the most fun place to live in the entire state of Florida. And unlike Orlando, this kind of fun - once you find a way to afford to live here - is totally free.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
snip........I am used to local news stories in other places I have lived being very straightforward, covering important but usually not very surprising topics, and rather boring - discussing things like whether the new school budget passed, or a fire at a local business, or perhaps a new direction taken by city planning for opening up a business area.
Now the news isnt boring for you. Gives you a reason to tune in. Advertisers love that idea.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, for better or worse, that is exactly the word I was thinking just this week as best describing the Keys... tacky. I mean that in a loving way... but if anybody's going to have plastic flamingos wearing bermuda shorts and hawaiian shirts on their (pearock) lawn, it would be us.

Having said that, I think the Florida Keys are far and away the most fun place to live in the entire state of Florida. And unlike Orlando, this kind of fun - once you find a way to afford to live here - is totally free.
And what you have cant be found anywhere else in the U.S. It is unique, it is special.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Sounds like a nice local economy boost and helps lower the Lionfish population. It is a charitable event for a cancer victim not to mention a lot of fun for the participants.

Quote:
Combining invasive species - preserving the environment is always a big part of living in the Keys - with sportfishing tourism:
---
This tournament combines the lobster hunt with the evil lionfish

By RYAN McCARTHY

Marathon's Tilden's Scuba Center is sponsoring a lobster tournament -- with a twist -- during this week's annual two-day lobster mini-season.
Tens of thousands of visitors are expected for mini-season, which runs from 12:01 a.m. Wednesday through 11:59 p.m. Thursday. Then lobster are off limits until the eight-month regular season starts Aug. 6.
Tilden's is rewarding bug hunters for their lobster catches -- but only if they also harvest at least one invasive lionfish. The poisonous Pacific species is proliferating and considered a threat to Keys coral reefs since they have no natural predators.
The tournament benefits Marathon resident Cathy McKoy, a longtime resident who's been diagnosed with bone cancer. "Because of that, our vendors have been extremely generous," Tilden's owner Wendy Hall said.
"She is responding to her treatment and we’re really hoping her [upcoming] surgery is successful," Hall said.
Hall said there are "$7,000 to $10,000 worth of giveaways" like dive gear, spear guns and cameras, while local hotels and restaurants have also contributed gift certificates to the cause.
Fifty percent of all $30 entry fees, and 100 percent of raffle proceeds from the tournament, will be donated to McKoy to help her cover medical expenses. The entry fee buys participants a hat and one raffle ticket and the tournament is open to the public.
First-, second- and third-place finishers receive prizes in the men's, women's and kid's categories. There's also a grand prize for the 12 heaviest lobster and most lionfish.
To find out more specifics, call 743-7255, send an e-mail to info@tildensscubacenter.com or visit Tilden's Scuba Center at 4650 Overseas Highway in Marathon. Registration is open until 9 a.m. Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida