Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:14 PM

910 posts, read 2,219,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I just watched the news and I was blown over to find out that Scott was correct and it was verified he was not backstage refusing to come out because of the fan. I guess it was just a case of a lot of hot air being blown at the time. Now that things have cooled down and people aren't waving their fingers in the air, the truth comes out.
I didn't hear that story on our local or national news. So, why did he take so long to come on stage ? Just curious, which channel did you hear this on ? Fox News, I am guessing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
I didn't hear that story on our local or national news. So, why did he take so long to come on stage ? Just curious, which channel did you hear this on ? Fox News, I am guessing?
NBC8 - they said there was confusion as to if Charlie was going to attend the debate, as a hand written note stating he was going to bring a fan was brought up just 2 minutes prior to the debate. This was backed up by organization running the debate. That is why charlie was late as well. Charlie got out first and then they rushed to get scott out there.

Only in Florida stuff and with two poor candidates. Flip a coin for who wins, as it won't make much difference.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but, every story I searched, or news clip I saw indicates it was as stated except for it getting a different spin the day after. The issue was about the fan period, but I can't say it was Chris or Scott doing the fumbling. Though what you read or want to believe will point you to either one.

It's a matter of trying to find the lesser of the nitwits to vote for.

But really, after reading some more, it appears the fault actually lies with their own campaign people who whisper in their ears who get them in position on time and with the forum debate organizers.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/ar...uld-be-no-fan/

Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I was wondering the same thing, but, every story I searched, or news clip I saw indicates it was as stated except for it getting a different spin the day after. The issue was about the fan period, but I can't say it was Chris or Scott doing the fumbling. Though what you read or want to believe will point you to either one.

It's a matter of trying to find the lesser of the nitwits to vote for.

But really, after reading some more, it appears the fault actually lies with their own campaign people who whisper in their ears who get them in position on time and with the forum debate organizers.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/ar...uld-be-no-fan/
heh, evidently Scott has drunk the kool-aid and gotten himself embroiled with Republican Party campaign consultants. He should know better. They're the kiss of death. Got himself elected without them the first time around. Now Jeb Bush is endorsing him. Buh-bye, Scott.

It'd be sooo easy for Scott to take the gloves off if he wanted to, but he won't, because his handlers won't let him. They're looking a gift horse right smack in the mouth with the ebola "crisis". Positioning 101.

If I were a Republican candidate for anything, I'd avoid the party's consultants like the plague.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 AM

67 posts, read 133,737 times
This is beyond ridiculous, and frankly, it's embarrassing that this is even considered as a worthwhile news story.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Chris Mathews did a piece on the issue last night with an interview with Crist who eloquently addresses the issue and describes why he became a democrat.
Charlie Crist campaign quickly capitalizes on 'fangate' | MSNBC

As for the embarrassment called Rick Scott and his lame excuse for not coming out is his debating skills so bad that he thinks his opponent having a fan some how gives his opponent an unfair advantage?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:22 AM

27,221 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantShoegazer View Post
This is beyond ridiculous, and frankly, it's embarrassing that this is even considered as a worthwhile news story.
It is embarrassing and ridiculous, however completely worthwhile to remind the average apathetic citizen of Florida what has come about while having your head stuck in the sand.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Morning Joe had a discussion about it today. Joe said Scott messed up big time and probably lost the election over it.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
This matters a great deal and I'll tell you why. It sounds stupid to all of us, of course it does. But, this is exactly the kind of tiny hitch that our elected officials will whine over, and let get in their way of serving the people, WHILE IN OFFICE. These two have both been in the highest position in Florida before, and yet Scott in particular cannot manage to make something happen for the best interests of the people? Regardless of whether he threw a tantrum over the fan inequality, or some people told him not to go out, or whatever - these is the kind of situation that happens on a much larger and more important scale all the time in office, and you need to be someone who can roll with the punches, and find a way to make it work - FOR THE PEOPLE. I hate both of them, but what I see is that Crist managed to get out there and be ready on time. And Scott was SEVERAL MINUTES late - which is actually a lot of time for someone who is used to be on live TV. Your people should be informing you, you should be aware, and you should do everything in your power to get out there within 30 or 60 seconds, apologize to the people for the delay to the PUBLIC's time, laugh about it because you have charisma (something Scott is sorely lacking in, in addition to a sense of humor)... you make it work, at all costs. You don't just sit back and twiddle your thumbs and wait for other people to be responsible, you have to be a leader and capable of crossing the aisle even when you feel slighted, or when others are trying to hold you back.

The frustrating thing about this debate, aside from how it yet again makes Florida the political laughingstock of the nation - at the governor level, this is beyond unprofessional to occur - is that all we have left to choose between are two old white Republican men, both of whom have already been governor before. So do you choose the centrist Republican who has a slightly higher likeability factor and MIGHT be able to compromise a bit when working with people across the aisle in the everyday challenges of his job, or do you choose the far right extremist Republican who has no charisma or likeability at all and who is too rigid and uncompromising to be able, nor to be willing, to compromise with people in the other party to get things done quickly and on behalf of the people's better interest? We don't have to like either one of them, but when it comes down to it, who is actually going to be better at getting things accomplished in a time of absolute gridlock and the least functional overall governing our nation has ever seen? The guy who showed up and was ready on time, or the guy who was backstage fumbling for 4 whole minutes of live air? The reasoning doesn't really matter, in the end one was ready to go and one could not make it happen on time and wasted the People's valuable time and resources, over what appears to be partisanship. And then it's not like he came out and made people feel comfortable over the issue, he, as is his way, just let it be more and more uncomfortable. And then his answers were terrible throughout the debate on top of it.

You have to be flexible to be effective in a role like governor. And while I can't stand either of them, Crist is clearly more flexible and able to work across party lines than Scott. And that matters a great deal in our modern times.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
The lesser of two weasels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida