Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,277 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Let me start by saying that I don't want to bash this place, but I don't think Florida is for me. I moved here from Pa with my parents when I was 14 and have lived here for almost 5 years. For the most part Florida has been pretty good to me. My dad has a 6 figure job, my mom has a government job, and I am a service writer at a well respected car dealership and I make way more money than most people my age. Even in this seemingly great situation, I am still getting closer and closer to dropping everything and getting on to 95 north to head back home. This place has changed me from an outgoing, confident person, to a socially awkward, depressed person. The people from my hometown in Pa were friendly and It wasn't hard for me to actually have a conversation with strangers and make friends. My parents are my only family here, I have very few friends, my only social life is going out for a few hours with the same couple of friends on saturday nights. It's not even the lack of friends that has me depressed, its more the lack of family. Would I be stupid to leave a good financial situation to move back home? I have countless amounts of family members and friends that would be more than glad to let me stay with them till I get on my feet. All I would need is a couple grand to cover the car payments, insurance, ect. for a couple months till I can get a job. Again I don't want to bash Florida but it's just not for me. I miss the Pa woods, mountains, snow, weather, and all the other things that I grew up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
I've moved 10 times in my life and I'm 27 years old. If you aren't happy where you live or if you want to experience life somewhere else then do it. It's so easy to move these days if you don't have children. Follow your heart, just make sure you have a backup plan in case things don't work out in the new place. Good luck

Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 8,277 times
Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to make a stupid decision and end up regretting it. I'm 18 and I make a livable wage so I would feel stupid to leave all that for possibly a minimum wage job in Pa. Especially since I have my own car payment, insurance, phone bills, and so on. I just feel like it's a big risk and with my little work expierience I probably couldn't find a job as good as the one I have now. I know they say don't put money before happiness but I could lose everything.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,770 times
Yea you may need to experience something different so go spread your wings a little more and maybe you may end up happier then what you are now.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles25 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I just don't want to make a stupid decision and end up regretting it. I'm 18 and I make a livable wage so I would feel stupid to leave all that for possibly a minimum wage job in Pa. Especially since I have my own car payment, insurance, phone bills, and so on. I just feel like it's a big risk and with my little work expierience I probably couldn't find a job as good as the one I have now. I know they say don't put money before happiness but I could lose everything.
Oh I understand now. You should line up a job before moving in that case unless you have a lot in savings. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure helps. I'd also say, without money, happiness is very hard to come by, especially the older you get.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,051,685 times
Maybe it is the town your in. I've came across unfriendly & cold people when I've traveled to Delray Beach and Boca. Some people were friendly, but most not in my opinion. Seems like the people north of Delray and Martin County are friendlier.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Maybe it is the town your in. I've came across unfriendly & cold people when I've traveled to Delray Beach and Boca. Some people were friendly, but most not in my opinion. Seems like the people north of Delray and Martin County are friendlier.
I disagree with this as someone who has moved a lot, there are great people in every city. You only need to have a handful of friends to be socially happy. Also, the OP says it's not about having a lack of friends, it's being away from her family, which is something I completely understand and moving to another new city isn't going to fix that feeling, it would most likely make it worse because than you will feel completely alone.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:52 AM

734 posts, read 922,013 times
You're still a young pup. Get out there and explore before you get tied down with a mortgage, a family, etc. I suggest a western city rife with jobs and young people. Denver, Seattle, etc. GO! Florida will still be here if you decide to return when you're a little older. For now, you need some adventures.

Last edited by AES328; 11-25-2014 at 04:29 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 04:05 AM

48,151 posts, read 22,016,035 times
I would urge the OP to make more of a plan.....that would start off by staying put for awhile and saving some serious money for the transition......there is no urgency to your desire to move back north.....so give yourself a substantial cushion before you take the plunge.

With unemployment and under employment being the way it is.....I think a 6 month contingency fund would be essential.
Are you covered under your parents health insurance? If not......that could be a big problem.....if your insurance is tied to your current employment.

The old saying "Act in haste, Regret in leisure" should be considered.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:28 AM

174 posts, read 366,280 times
I say GO! While you are young you have the opportunity to learn and make mistakes. There will be lots of time and opportunities to make mistakes along the way and recover from them. I would say this: Before you make a permanent move, plan it out. Find a job first. I have moved a half dozen times in my life and always found a new job in a new location first. While it may not be essential, I think it is critical to making a successful lasting move without a lot of heartache. I have known a few people that thought they would throw caution to the wind and just move without a job. I won't say it was always a complete disaster, but it usually created a great deal of hardship for them.
I think you need to settle into a job sometime in your 40's for retirement sake. However, my motto has always been, you must be willing to move where the work is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: