Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:48 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftil View Post
Now onto Recycling. This is something that has frustrated me every time I visit Florida. I can't believe that in 2014-15, the condos/hotels I visit have no recycling program in place. I find myself emptying my trash can almost everyday during my stay. Where I live, I typically have almost a bag of trash once a week. The rest is put into recycling. What type of trouble does Florida have with running out of room for landfills? How about the leaching that can occur from landfills?

Finally, I visited Okaloosa Island this past summer. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with what I thought would be a beautiful area. I couldn't walk down the beach without seeing trash every few feet. I began to carry a bag on my walks. Most everything I picked up was something that could have been put into recycling, yet there was not a recycling can available.

Can anyone tell me what the general thoughts are about recycling in Florida? I realize this is a general statement about a big state. There can be great recycling programs somewhere in Florida and I have to assume I just haven't seen them in action.
We have a home in PBC in Florida (unincorporated county) and there is an active recycling program going on - each property gets one blue and one yellow basket to put their recycling in once a week and it is picked up with the trash (which, if I remember, happens twice a week). Here in Texas in our county there is nothing of the kind - if you want to recycle, you have to take all your stuff to the county facilities that are a fair drive away. Needless to say, that approach does not encourage much recycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Aerobic systems are being mandated in areas of Texas due to the black clay soils or very rocky soils that don't perk. The advantage is that there is no leech field. The system is essentially a mini-sewer system, fully treats the sewage, and the water is disbursed via sprinkler heads, so the yard gets watered in the process.

These systems have to be monitored and maintained, with an annual fee of about $200 to the septic companies. Very effective on smaller sites. They would be effective if mandated to replace standard systems in new construction, or if the system totally fails and has to be replaced. But the state might have to set up a fund to help given the high number of retirees and low-income families in the area.
When we were having our house built in Charlotte County ( completed in 2008), the building codes at the time required that aerobic septic tanks be put in for houses built on lots less than 1/2 acre, or if a septic tank could not be placed at least 100 feet away from any waterfront, and from the well ( if a well was put in), or a neighbor's well. Fortunately we had an acre to build on and were able to put in a regular septic tank as there was plenty of room to ensure that it was 100 feet, or more, away from the well and the canal. When I spoke to an engineer who was checking out a vacant lot in our neighborhood for someone last year, he informed me that this requirement has gone by the wayside now, and those aerobic septic tanks are no longer required for new construction, even on smaller lots.

I could see where regular septic tanks could be a problem in areas where the soil is rocky or consists mostly of clay, but in places where the soil is sandy and moisture soaks in like a sponge,( like here in Charlotte County, and in Miami where we lived as well) the drain fields work well as long as the homeowner takes the normal precautions required for a septic tank.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftil View Post
I look forward to moving to Florida one day and this thread is of particular interest to me. For one, I currently work for a public utility in the water conservation office. I hope when I move to Florida to somehow work with protecting water resources or further recycling efforts. (More on the recycling later.)

I recently was involved in developing an education program for septic systems. From everything I have learned about septic systems, they are not designed to leak wastewater back into the ground. When a septic system is properly maintained, the water that leaves the septic tank has been "cleaned" by the bacteria contained within the tank and through the settling that is allowed to occur. What leaves is then further filtered through the drain field.

Unfortunately, we learned that many septic system owners (also known as onsite wastewater managers) do not do anything with their septic system unless they notice a problem. When a problem is noticed, it is typically a large problem that is both expensive to repair and has caused great damage to the environment. The EPA recommends septic systems be pumped and inspected every three to five years. I ran into many people who were quite proud that they haven't had to do anything to their septic system in 20 years. I simply cringe and wonder what issues/problems for our water could be happening under the ground that they can't see.

I admit, not every area is appropriate for a septic system and would be better tied into a municipal (or private?) sewer system. As another poster mentioned, educating the public as to how to care for a septic system could help to lessen the damage caused by a septic system. Septic systems, when properly installed (in land suitable for the system and that matches the type of system installed), should not leak wastewater.

Now onto Recycling. This is something that has frustrated me every time I visit Florida. I can't believe that in 2014-15, the condos/hotels I visit have no recycling program in place. I find myself emptying my trash can almost everyday during my stay. Where I live, I typically have almost a bag of trash once a week. The rest is put into recycling. What type of trouble does Florida have with running out of room for landfills? How about the leaching that can occur from landfills?

Finally, I visited Okaloosa Island this past summer. I can't tell you how disappointed I was with what I thought would be a beautiful area. I couldn't walk down the beach without seeing trash every few feet. I began to carry a bag on my walks. Most everything I picked up was something that could have been put into recycling, yet there was not a recycling can available.

Can anyone tell me what the general thoughts are about recycling in Florida? I realize this is a general statement about a big state. There can be great recycling programs somewhere in Florida and I have to assume I just haven't seen them in action.
Many of the counties in Florida have active recycling programs. These programs are generally coordinated through the county's solid waste management departments, who may hire outside companies to handle the recycled material. Customers receive containers for recycled material, along with instructions for recycling ( what can and cannot be recycled), and these are collected, usually on the same day(s) as the garbage. The counties also have centers where specific items can be taken to be recycled, reused (example, for electronic parts), or tossed as applicable.

Unfortunately, it seems as though many commercial establishments, such as hotels, or multi-family housing such as apartments don't have containers for recycling, so unless each person collects his/her recycleables and takes them to one of the centers, everything gets tossed in the trash. Some establishments do have recycle containers, and I'd guess in those places someone who works there would take the recycled items to a center when the containers are full. Unfortunately, the best recycling program in the world won't stop folks who don't care or who are oblivious from dropping empty soda or beer cans, plastic containers on the beaches, or throwing them out of car windows, so you continue to see trash like that in public locations.
I'd suggest that the multitudes of visitors to Florida contribute significantly to that trash.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:32 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This. How many repetitive strip centers (grocery store, nail/spa salon, chinese restaurant, vacant spaces) do we need?

We have WAY too many of these things all over the place. Between that and dollar stores.
vacant spaces lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida