Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:13 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
ComSense, I was born on the island of Manhattan, was schooled in Queens, and worked my entire career in Nassau County.

But make no mistake about it, me and my gun are quite happily 'Floridianated' now.

I hope this does not disappoint you because I have never been so happy in my life.
The only drawback has been the unexpected presence of so many Bostonians.

Well, I just noticed that you dont want anyone else moving to FL, but I guess you moved here once upon a time as well.

But I'm happy that you're happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Lord, I hope they take refuge anywhere but Florida.

I keep reminding folks that SoFL summers are BRUTAL..and everything is flat.. and we only eat corndogs, and we have no kul-cha, and the ex-jerseyites and NYawkas are everywhere, and, and, we're all just waiting to die!!

Do not move here - don't even visit. You will hate it.
And we're all raving foaming at the mouth right wing unwashed uneducated lunatic conservatives packing pieces to boot.!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And we're all raving foaming at the mouth right wing unwashed uneducated lunatic conservatives packing pieces to boot.!
These types are well represented in most of the state.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
There are plenty of other warmer states for those living in the frozen tundra to move to - let's hope they spread out a bit, this one is sure 'nuff getting crowded.....

Old 02-03-2015, 08:27 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
I said the same thing I expect a uptick from the northeast because of the weather.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There are plenty of other warmer states for those living in the frozen tundra to move to - let's hope they spread out a bit, this one is sure 'nuff getting crowded.....
Then y'all need to tell all of those C-D posters to stop bragging about passing NY in population. The more you gab, the more will want to come down and check it out ..

Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Then y'all need to tell all of those C-D posters to stop bragging about passing NY in population. The more you gab, the more will want to come down and check it out ..
I'm shuttin' my trap right now.....

Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Florida's problem is its pretty cheap to live in Florida unlike other warm weather states like California and parts of Arizona. I do understand your frustration with Florida being over run by NY, MA, MD,OH, MI PA and other East Coast and Midwest people. Florida is a good place to live, not as boring as Kentucky where I reside look on the bright side.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Florida's problem is its pretty cheap to live in Florida unlike other warm weather states like California and parts of Arizona. I do understand your frustration with Florida being over run by NY, MA, MD,OH, MI PA and other East Coast and Midwest people. Florida is a good place to live, not as boring as Kentucky where I reside look on the bright side.
Middle and upper-middle class individuals and families from the Northeast seem to gravitate more towards Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, and Phoenix-Scottsdale whereas FL, OTOH, tends to absorb more of a working-class element from the Northeast. Lots of Northeast transplants in FL are from Central and Southeastern MA, RI, Upstate NY, and Central and Western PA as well as the NYC boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx and their adjacent suburbs.

Thing is, most working-class people in the Northeast have never even been to AZ or CA, but most have been to FL whether on a Disney vacation as a child and/or to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Daytona Beach on spring break, so FL tends to be trotted territory for these folks. In many cases, FL is the only place outside of the Northeast these folks have ever traveled to. Not to mention that AZ and CA aren't really on the radar of many working-class people in Northeast to begin with due to a strong inclination towards small-mindedness. As someone who grew up in working-class area of RI who has lived in FL, AZ, and now CA, these are the top complaints I've heard regarding CA and AZ, respectively:

CA:
1. Too far away
2. Too expensive
3. Too liberal
4. Too many gay people, Mexicans, and illegal immigrants

AZ:
1. Too dry/going to run out of water
2. Too hot
3. Non-coastal
4. Too many Mexicans and illegal immigrants

Finally, most working-class people from the Northeast and their family and friends left behind wouldn't be able to afford traveling back and forth from AZ or CA, since bi-coastal flights can be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention you can't jump in the car and be in AZ or CA in less than 24 hours.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'm thinking its already too late as so many on the site have raved about what a paradise Florida is, sunny days spent on the beaches, warm weather,amusement parks every weekend,no snow or cold,best move we ever made etc,for those up north the glowing accolades havent gone unnoticed and as a result down they come to get away from those horrible northern climates
trying to dissuade the migration to Florida by mentioning negatives is immediately viewed as hating and bashing the state and the poster is usually vigorously attacked and invited to go elsewhere,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida