Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinley120 View Post
Certain places are worse offenders than others. The mall is usually okay. Bed Bath and Beyond is the worst.
I really only notice it if it's extreme. I used to work retail and every now and then customers would say it's cold, usually females. I never noticed. It helps in summer, but yeah I guess some places really keep it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Everywhere I go around here people seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the AC on to the max. And it is really every place I go. The humidity is relatively low now and this week has been pretty mild, yet businesses and offices insist on having the air on so cold that it is frigid and uncomfortable.

There is such a thing as having the thermostat too low. I don't understand how people can handle the coldness. Jacking up the AC at this time of year makes me believe the air systems down here never get a break. Anybody else think the reliance on the AC at full blast all year--even when it isnt hot-- is a little ridiculous?
The thing is, with those corporate deals, the ac is dictated from Atlanta (or wherever their corporate headquarters are). No, really, some large companies really do control their store's ac from out of state in an effort to "save money" and that state is usually COMPLETELY out of touch with the reality that is happening in YOUR state.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM

506 posts, read 426,822 times
Quote:
Everywhere I go around here people seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the AC on to the max. And it is really every place I go. The humidity is relatively low now and this week has been pretty mild, yet businesses and offices insist on having the air on so cold that it is frigid and uncomfortable.

There is such a thing as having the thermostat too low. I don't understand how people can handle the coldness. Jacking up the AC at this time of year makes me believe the air systems down here never get a break. Anybody else think the reliance on the AC at full blast all year--even when it isnt hot-- is a little ridiculous?
I agree with you. What has happened is that people have become addicted to A/C and they are unable to handle the slightest temperature change without crying. During the summer months I continually hear people cry about the brief periods where they are not in an A/C environment and it is quite annoying.

I don't find A/C to ever be necessary in South Florida, so you can imagine how ridiculous I find these A/C junkies, but at least it gives me people to openly mock.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
My office is the same. These morons have the A/C on full blast when it's in the 50s here. No idea why... at least turn on the heat instead of the A/C.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I notice it at a lot of restaurants, especially some of the larger chains always seem to have their AC on blast. I notice this in L.A too.

My family always has the AC , I enjoy using the AC when it's actually hot, but if it's colder out and the AC is on and blowing on you it doesn't make much sense.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The worst office I had in that regard involved setting the AC to 64F. I was next to the server room and was that that 'it keeps the computers happy when it's set to that'. Those of us who were future Skynet targets just bundled up and wore heavy sweaters to work at the peak of July heat.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:

I use the A/C to get rid of the humidity indoors. It's quite normal, if you go to Hong Kong for example their A/C is even stronger than Florida. I think it's normal for humid developed areas.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:19 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
I'll trade you. Most of the non-shopping places I've been in around here have the heat cranked up to levels I'd expect at a sauna. Lots of natives in this area believe it's time to bundle up if the daily high dips below 70'.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:17 AM

36 posts, read 38,673 times
Its pretty simple. Its much easier if you're cold natured to carry a sweater or light jacket with you to put on in restaurants or wherever. If you're hot natured you can't take more off. I'd rather it be too cool than so hot i cant enjoy my meal. I think these places do it on purpose though. They want you in and out quickly

Old 02-07-2015, 03:52 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
They run the a/c because believe it or not, there is humidity in the air in Florida, and the a/c helps to dehumidify the air. Weird, right? I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida