Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 'QUAKES or 'CANES? Lesser of the two evils?
Earthquakes 7 20.00%
Hurricanes 28 80.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,633 times

Advertisements

I'll gladly take a hurricane over an earthquake any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM

419 posts, read 998,935 times
I'd rather deal with hurricanes any day of the week, compared to a earthquake.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM

447 posts, read 496,107 times
Very surprising the poll result, just doesn't make common sense. A predictable , often avoidable disaster is more dangerous than totally unpredictable, often unescapable disaster?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
Very surprising the poll result, just doesn't make common sense. A predictable , often avoidable disaster is more dangerous than totally unpredictable, often unescapable disaster?

You've never been through a hurricane have you?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,205,453 times
Being that you posted this in the Florida forum, of course we choose hurricanes, are you crazy? We throw Hurricane Parties before they come! Dealing with Hurricanes is cool because you get to go shopping, do planning, see family,no school, no work, and the air before any hurricane feels eerie even more so than a tropical storm. There is nothing like the howling winds and pounding rain that makes for great sleep or family time. Also it's quite amusing to see the reporters risking their lives being idiots on the shores! I mean it's just overall pretty fun! the aftermath is okay typically in areas not along the coast, its about cleaning powerlines, trees and overturned cars, along with keeping your food cool in 95 degree heat. that part sucks but Hurricanes are fun!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull84 View Post
No, what you said doesnt make any sense. The poll says we PREFER hurricanes over earthquakes.

I will say its nice to know about hurricanes coming but if we look at modern death tolls in the US lets say 1970 and after earthquakes have killed far less people than hurricanes, even if you don't count katrina. Earthquakes are not as bad as hurricanes in the US. Both are terrible disasters but both have there better and worse sides to them.

That being said we haven't had a "big one" in a while in the US. But we have had many big hurricanes again showing a larger destructed hurricane happens far more often than a large destructed earthquake.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
I've looked this up recently but don't remember exactly where or what the data exactly was and I'm not looking it up again but it's fairly easy to.

That said storms in general cause more monitary damage than do earthquakes, but not massively more. Oddly, volcanoes cause more property damage than floods.

Weather related deaths? Heat. Worry about that more.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Hurricane I can prepare , leave bring my things and TRY to protect what's left of my belonging. Being trapped naked in my collapse shower for 3 days from a surprise quake sounds like a crappy way to spend the weekend

Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
I've been through several 5-ish earthquakes while on trips to California. I thought they were fun! Just remember that modern buildings out there aren't going to fall down because of even a moderately strong earthquake, just like modern buildings here aren't going to blow down in a moderately strong hurricane. The odds of "the big one" happening are remote in both places.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Being that you posted this in the Florida forum, of course we choose hurricanes, are you crazy? We throw Hurricane Parties before they come! Dealing with Hurricanes is cool because you get to go shopping, do planning, see family,no school, no work, and the air before any hurricane feels eerie even more so than a tropical storm. There is nothing like the howling winds and pounding rain that makes for great sleep or family time. Also it's quite amusing to see the reporters risking their lives being idiots on the shores! I mean it's just overall pretty fun! the aftermath is okay typically in areas not along the coast, its about cleaning powerlines, trees and overturned cars, along with keeping your food cool in 95 degree heat. that part sucks but Hurricanes are fun!
I've always found hurricanes to be exciting too. I still remember my mom waking me up late at night when Hurricane Elena was coming. Our family evacuated to Orlando and stayed at a luxury resort. It was like a vacation to me.

Anyway I really don't have anything to lose if a major hurricane hit us. My apartment is on the second floor. I would probably make a backup of my computer files and collect a few documents. And if the the bridges are backed up, I'll hop in my motorcycle and split lanes all the way to a safe area. Every man for himself, including my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida