Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times

Advertisements

I know somebody who has been in FL for years with an out-of-state tag, license, insurance, all that stuff. How does he avoid getting caught? What happens when he does get caught?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:14 PM

172 posts, read 239,537 times
Its a 100-some odd dollar fine + the sudden-onset expense of having to fork over $400+ dollars to tag and title an out of state car in Florida.

Just like any other violation, they get caught one day when they're not expecting it, or they never do.

People who keep out of state tags on their cars either admit to it in the traffic stop and get a ticket that way, or if they know how to be coy about it, if they work, a local cop notices the same car with an out of state tag consistently parked at the same place, they can write the ticket on that basis.

Otherwise, though, its sort of like growing pot in your backyard. You may never get caught doing it but if you do, its a headache.

When I was in my early 20s and returned home to FL from college, I kept my out of state tag on my car for a while. A cop came into my work one day, asked who owned the (Car), I said me. He told me that he wasn't going to write me a ticket if it was changed by next week. Nice guy. These days they probably just shoot you.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
If the individual maintains an outof-state residency, it can be argued that the vehicle is legally licensed there. Question is the actual residency.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,538 times
If the person is in the military, or works a job that requires an extended stay in Florida, but not a permanent one, they're probably okay. I kept my California plates for about 8 months when I moved here. I figured if I was stopped, I would try the temporary work assignment story. Never did get questioned about it though.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Its a 100-some odd dollar fine + the sudden-onset expense of having to fork over $400+ dollars to tag and title an out of state car in Florida.

Just like any other violation, they get caught one day when they're not expecting it, or they never do.

People who keep out of state tags on their cars either admit to it in the traffic stop and get a ticket that way, or if they know how to be coy about it, if they work, a local cop notices the same car with an out of state tag consistently parked at the same place, they can write the ticket on that basis.

Otherwise, though, its sort of like growing pot in your backyard. You may never get caught doing it but if you do, its a headache.

When I was in my early 20s and returned home to FL from college, I kept my out of state tag on my car for a while. A cop came into my work one day, asked who owned the (Car), I said me. He told me that he wasn't going to write me a ticket if it was changed by next week. Nice guy. These days they probably just shoot you.
I imagine they'd do the same thing these days. Of course, it depends on your attitude when you're caught, you might end up with a ticket

Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine17 View Post
I know somebody who has been in FL for years with an out-of-state tag, license, insurance, all that stuff. How does he avoid getting caught? What happens when he does get caught?
It can happen when you're away for school, college etc. I did it in N.Y. better to keep plates in FL than N.Y. imo...no inspection. I think there is an exception if you're away for schooling.

Apparently it's being cracked down big time in CT where there is car property tax etc. Maine Offenders: Drivers Seek to Skirt Taxes | NBC Connecticut

Old 02-10-2015, 07:40 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Actually, it is possible to maintain an out-of-state tag legally in FL. I went about 10 years with an out-of-state tag before I finally changed over to a FL plate.

Basically, my dad was paying for my car insurance. My dad lived out of state, so my car was under his family plan with my mom's and brother's car. Because my dad was paying for my insurance and all the cars were registered out-of-state I never had to change my plate.

However, once I got FL insurance I had no choice but to change my plates and had to cough up like $500 for it at the time. Sucked, but thankfully I had the cash at the time. Not anymore tho lol.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM

172 posts, read 239,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Actually, it is possible to maintain an out-of-state tag legally in FL. I went about 10 years with an out-of-state tag before I finally changed over to a FL plate.
You just went 10 years without getting caught. It was not legal. Its not like its the sort of thing thats a high law enforcement priority but if they stumble across it, you're gonna get a ticket.

IIRC, you have 10 days to change over your out of state tag from the date of establishing residence or starting a job in Florida.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:23 PM

139 posts, read 569,127 times
Why is it $500 to change your registration ? I move to florida and get a new address in florida and inform my insurance company that I moved,...and I get a $500 fine for getting a florida tag ? Sounds like BS to me .

Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
The Florida tax code is designed to extract a high amount of money from new residents so that those of us who have been here a while pay less for many taxes and fees. If you stick it out down here, you'll eventually come to appreciate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida