Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,630 times

Advertisements

I have a 14 year old who has Autism/PDD and he had so many issues up until he attended Yellow Breeches in PA, he is now doing great but I need/want to move. I know it is probably selfish to want to move when we finally found something to work for him...and it worked with my son who graduates this year from the same school (he has ADHD/ODD) but I cannot do another winter here because we really cannot afford oil for heat and space heaters really ran our electric bill up!!
He loves animals so I think he will also have opportunities in Florida as far as all the things there is to do and goals he can set. We just spent a week there with my brother and there was so much to do. I guess I should mention that too, we are looking to be in the Volusia County area.
I have been back and forth with the idea of moving to South Carolina and Florida for many, many years but this past trip down there, I have never been more convinced, ALL of us had such a wonderful time and since then have constructed a plan to move however, I am not convinced on what to do until I receive a little feed back on the schooling there - Autism being the most important. I have read some forums suggesting that Florida is not the best place for Autistic children but these were from 2011-2013; hoping things have changed.
The school he attends now has so much patience with him but on the flip side, they are not trained in Autism - they are just excellent with behavioral issues. They focus more on the positive than they do the negative; they teach their students confidence as opposed to waiting and dwelling on the negative behaviors. (Which as a Criminal Justice major myself, I have always agreed with that idea). So I guess my question(s) is/are does anyone have experience on Autistic schools in this area? Are there any schools you're especially impressed with? Do any of them seem to concentrate on the positive as opposed to discipline? (Don't get me wrong, I expect discipline I just think the positive approach significantly reduces the occurrences and needs of discipline).
I've looked up a few locations but I think I need a non-biased opinion (instead of calling the school - quite yet)

Thanks,
Kerri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 05:58 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
You need to stay where you are. If you are having a hard time affording life in PA, moving to another expensive state like FL is not going to help your situation. Anyway, what are you going to do for work? Get a job before you move anywhere. Also, schools in FL are terrible.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:19 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
There are all kinds of considerations for you but yet another is often the top-performing schools in terms of test scores can be very competitive and attract many kids that aren't necessarily kind to others not as "gifted". At first glance Port Orange High School might seem like a good fit because of it's academic reputation but the buzz is that it's one of those schools just described. You might check out New Smyrna Beach HS which while an "A" school is doing it through structured "Academies" that are offer special interest career training mixed with traditional academics in programs like AgriScience, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Sports Marketing, Engineering and Healthcare. Good luck!

Academies - New Smyrna Beach High School

Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
You need to stay where you are. If you are having a hard time affording life in PA, moving to another expensive state like FL is not going to help your situation. Anyway, what are you going to do for work? Get a job before you move anywhere. Also, schools in FL are terrible.
Wow you didn't even concentrate on my main concern! It is all worked out as far as jobs and where we are going to live. My brother lives there and his rent is 200 dollars cheaper than what we pay now...heat is way more expensive than AC, and not planning any move until I or my husband have a job...it the oil or heating Herr that I cannot afford, when do you pay $600 for two months of air conditioning? It will save us money, thanks

Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are all kinds of considerations for you but yet another is often the top-performing schools in terms of test scores can be very competitive and attract many kids that aren't necessarily kind to others not as "gifted". At first glance Port Orange High School might seem like a good fit because of it's academic reputation but the buzz is that it's one of those schools just described. You might check out New Smyrna Beach HS which while an "A" school is doing it through structured "Academies" that are offer special interest career training mixed with traditional academics in programs like AgriScience, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Sports Marketing, Engineering and Healthcare. Good luck!

Academies - New Smyrna Beach High School
Thank you very much!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM

290 posts, read 339,251 times
I can't comment on special needs education, but tbh I don't think Volusia County has any good schools. It just isn't a good place to live, I'd recommend considering somewhere else.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
I can't comment on special needs education, but tbh I don't think Volusia County has any good schools. It just isn't a good place to live, I'd recommend considering somewhere else.
Volusia County is a "C"-graded District overall but has 15 "A"-rated schools and 18 "B"-rated schools, so one can find good school districts there.

Volusia County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

Old 04-15-2015, 06:17 AM

290 posts, read 339,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Volusia County is a "C"-graded District overall but has 15 "A"-rated schools and 18 "B"-rated schools, so one can find good school districts there.

Volusia County 2014 School Grades | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL
I've seen the "good schools" and wasn't impressed.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:17 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times
Yes rent is likely cheaper as are property taxes, however be ready to pay substantially more in insurance and electric. Basically it all balances out in the end, you just allocate your money differently. Don't buy into the Florida is so cheap BS, that's only true if you live in the ghetto. I moved here from Buffalo NY to Jacksonville of all places, and honestly my cost of living is no lower. Schools down here suck compared to up north. I am 27 with no kids and i say this to you. I'm not saying don't move anywhere but you may want to look around more. Put your kids first and ask yourself is this really going to give them the best future?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
I've seen the "good schools" and wasn't impressed.
Well they're graded equivalently utilizing the same criteria across the state, so an "A" rated school in Volusia County is every bit as good as an "A" rated school elsewhere. It would probably be better to refrain from topics where you clearly have some kind of unresolved hatred, especially given it's obviously not fact-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida