Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 PM

290 posts, read 339,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Well they're graded equivalently utilizing the same criteria across the state, so an "A" rated school in Volusia County is every bit as good as an "A" rated school elsewhere. It would probably be better to refrain from topics where you clearly have some kind of unresolved hatred, especially given it's obviously not fact-based.
Just based on experience, have you attended any public schools in Volusia county? I attended 3 high schools, one of which was an A rated school in Volusia county... I can tell you, the school in Volusia was by far the worst. To be fair though, the other two weren't in Florida so perhaps an A just doesn't say much in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If the kids are happy where they are and fit in well it seems rather odd logic to uproot the whole family and move cross country just because you have come to not like winters. Perhaps making that move to Florida would be a better idea once the kids have finished their schooling.
Some Autistic related resourceful reading on whats available in Volusia county .
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...county+florida
Best of luck..

Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
Just based on experience, have you attended any public schools in Volusia county? I attended 3 high schools, one of which was an A rated school in Volusia county... I can tell you, the school in Volusia was by far the worst. To be fair though, the other two weren't in Florida so perhaps an A just doesn't say much in this state.
Florida's schools overall are at the top of the "mid-pack" so they're not as bad as many like to make them out to be. If from a top-tier state like Maryland or Massachusetts, I guess it's probably a drop off.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

24 posts, read 49,848 times
Red face Volusia Spec needs

Not sure if you made the move yet but I will offer what I have found out. I too wanted to move and have a son who has Down Syndrome and on the autistic scale. We were looking in Volusia because we have family there and wanted to be closer to them and also lower taxes and cost of living (we live in Long Island) My child is 15. I did extensive research. Depending on where you move in Volusia, most of the high schools have some kind of programs but we found that most of the programs in the public high schools did not provide any therapies (OT, PT, ABA or knowledge of augmentative devices which we use). They also are phasing out extended school year (school in summer to stop regression). I know there are 3 private schools one of which i heard good things called Monarch which is for higher functioning Autistic children and go through high school or until they age out (in Florida to age 22). I also found out that their Medi Waiver (services for respite or employment or therapies) has a 10 yr waiting list. Yes, 10 yrs! Private school you will have to pay tuition (8 to 900/mo). You can qualify for some scholarships but cannot get full reimbursement for private school unless your child attends public school for one year. Overall I spoke to many parents via email and on the phone and to the different schools. All of them said we should stay where we are. We live on Long Island and we pay super high property taxes but in the long run, i figured out, with the services we would lose plus paying out of pocket expenses for things like summer camp and therapies that would not be covered which are covered here in NY for free (well paid through my taxes) was ultimately not the way to go for us. Your child may not need any of those things but Florida does not have the funding to supply many things that you may take for granted you have already. I highly suggest you get on some Volusia County FB pages for special needs and see what you find out. If my child is miserable or I dont have a safe and nurturing environment to put him in..then no amount of savings will be worth that. Good Luck and keep us posted if you do move and what you experience there!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
My wife has been working in the Volusia county schools w/ SPED children for over 3 years, and for 4 years in Las Cruces, New Mexico before this. From talking to her, I would say the schools here are a C- to a D ranking for SPED children. New Mexico, a much poorer state, actually paid her much more money, and the kids got a better education. This would seem a realistic rating based on someone that works in the schools, not a ranking from a survey. The teaching environment, for her kids anyway, is not particularly positive.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 PM

112 posts, read 259,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
You need to stay where you are. If you are having a hard time affording life in PA, moving to another expensive state like FL is not going to help your situation. Anyway, what are you going to do for work? Get a job before you move anywhere. Also, schools in FL are terrible.

The Florida school system may not be the best in the nation, but it most certainly outranks Alabama.

Florida Earns a C on State Report Card, Ranks 28th in Nation - Education Week

Alabama Earns a D-Plus, Finishes 45th in National Education Rankings - Education Week

Next topic. Florida's economy ranks #1 in the southeast and #7 in the United States. Alabama comes in at 46.

State economy rankings, Q1 2015 - Business Insider

All I'm saying is, if you're going to bash my beloved state. First find out if yours is doing better. Thanks.

Now, I do agree with one thing you said.

Quote:
If you are having a hard time affording life in PA, moving to another expensive state like FL is not going to help your situation.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 PM

112 posts, read 259,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are all kinds of considerations for you but yet another is often the top-performing schools in terms of test scores can be very competitive and attract many kids that aren't necessarily kind to others not as "gifted". At first glance Port Orange High School might seem like a good fit because of it's academic reputation but the buzz is that it's one of those schools just described. You might check out New Smyrna Beach HS which while an "A" school is doing it through structured "Academies" that are offer special interest career training mixed with traditional academics in programs like AgriScience, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Sports Marketing, Engineering and Healthcare. Good luck!

Academies - New Smyrna Beach High School

Which
Quote:
Port Orange High School
are you referring to? I grew up in Port Orange and can tell you that Port Orange has two high schools. Atlantic High School & Spruce Creek High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida