Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 52,836 times

Advertisements

im 29 and looking to relocate to central florida. im nervous cuz i dont know how the job market is. i work for a cable company and thinking of applieng to brighthouse is this a good company any job suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 06:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
im 29 and looking to relocate to central florida. im nervous cuz i dont know how the job market is. i work for a cable company and thinking of applieng to brighthouse is this a good company any job suggestions?
check out verizon, with there new cable FIOS
I would first get the job, VZ is a great company!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:49 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Default Go for it...

Check out Comcast. They are a quickly expanding company - have just acquired large companies in other states, and are very fair to their employess as best I can tell (according to my father who wathches the job market even though he is retired 6 years now).

I do not know exactly what you do, but I do know the need is there, and with the housing starts and growth of seasonal/recreation living - it will only continue to go up.

Get out of the cold and do it now. If you don't, you probably never will. Life gets in the way - Just do it!! Congrats!

KimmieyKY

Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 PM

22 posts, read 82,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
Brighthouse is a great company to have, don't know about working though.
I know stay far far far away from Embarq (formerly Sprint) evil evil evil!!

I know we are trying to get out of here as soon as possible and go back where you are coming from.
The pay seems to be VERY LOW as in below 6.00 the few people I have spoken with that work for Hard Rock have informed me they make 3.00 an hour.
The validity of that i'm not 100% but I do know that wages in compared is definately different.

We had some form of snake on our apartment door step (3rd floor) that coiled up and tried to attack my family, we believe it was a water mocasin, we didn't know they came out of the water. hah!
There are big fat alligators that live apparently 3 ft away from our door step as well, that's fun.

And to have a job out here at least in Central (Orlando/Kissimmee/Buena Vista) area you need to be bi-lingual.

Difference there is no perks to being bi-lingual up North they paid the people we worked with a differential for being bi-lingual, out here if your not bi-lingual you don't recv your 5.15 an hour (no job for you).

We thought being Disney World and the weather it would be a wonderful place to live with lots of room for advancement and that life would be better.. we found the exact opposite of what we came for.

The few people that seem to enjoy FL (at least our area) are all rich transplants from another area that live in the Polynesian Resort and have maids, we have to clean up our own mess and our neighbors beer bottles too.

Good Luck, everyone finds their own way and what doesn't work for some, may very well work for others.

All I can say is i'm glad this forum exists so I can as well look into other places which is what we have been doing, but it seems as though NO ONE likes ANYWHERE!

One thing to watch out for:
http://www.apartmentrates.com

and

http://www.apartmentreviews.com

I don't know if I can post that or not, but I found this site very helpful as well, we almost moved into an even more horrific complex where a women was murdered, there seems to be a trend here in FL that I don't see on a lot of theo ther reviews and thats armed robbery and lack of parking, hope this helps..

and before others verbally attack me, I would visit FL, just not live here.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 20,416 times
Smile don't be afraid

My family and I moved from NYC to central Florida and it's a beautiful place. You will not have a problem finding a job down here. If you really want to move then just do it, I'm sure you won't have any regrets. If you send me a private message, I'll give you my e-mail address and we can talk further.

I have no regrets!!!!! I'm loving it down here, while my family calls me all the time complaining about how cold it is up there

Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 AM

208 posts, read 975,039 times
Default Making the same move myself

I am moving to central florida in the next few months from NY myself. Been working in NYC for 6 years now, commuting from LI and I have had enough. We went down a few weeks ago and right now is an unbelievable time to buy, especially inventory homes from home builders. We ended up checking out all sorts of areas including Avalon Park, Windermere, downtown Orlando, Clermont and Mt. Dora. We found a house in Mount Dora that we really liked that was heavily discounted (65% of the original selling price) and we got tons of upgrades we've never had before. I'm not sweating the job scene at all, Orlando's job scene seems to be pretty solid. I work in technology, so I've seen a fair amount of jobs between Orlando, Lake Mary and Maitland.

So my recommendation is to just do it!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,472 times
Thumbs down Well if you can live without having family around it should be fine

It's not like NY down here at all. You have a mix of people from different states and with their own opinions. Grumpy snowbirds for sure, midwestern people with a different way of life, people look at NY'rs as rude and loud.
I have had enough of these people down here. We are going back up north.
The hurricanes are unpredictable and can destroy your home. The bugs are impossible too. It stays hot too long down here. No change of seasons.
If the majority of your family and friends are back up north, you will end up missing them after a few years. There's nothing like being with your family and friends who care for you. The people you meet down here don't even come out of their houses, let alone become friendly with you. I can't stand it when they hear a New Yorker talking, they glare at you like you are dirt.
Florida is a great place to visit during the winter months, but in the summer you are like a shut-in when it's hot hot hot and humid

Oh, about the jobs...you can get fired for any reason down here. You can't fight it either. The payscale sucks too.
Don't make a fast decision like me and my husband and kids did. We now regret it.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:52 AM

656 posts, read 1,375,724 times
It is indeed an At_will employment state, but if you are a good employee, you need not worry about an untimely downsizing.

Water Moccasins, all over the place.... just learn from someone how to clean and roast them, they are delicious. THROW away THE HEAD!

Rude people, we have them too. Every place does. I hardly notice them, you won't either. Some go out of their way, but it's easier to feel pity than anything.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:07 AM

208 posts, read 975,039 times
My experience with the many people I've talked to and met down there are that in general people are very hospitable and friendly. You're right, it's not like NY down there and I say thank god to that. Thankfully I haven't lived in NY all my life so I don't have an accent, in fact since I've moved around the country all my life I think my accent will be just fine down there. I think any where you go, you will find people that aren't easy to get along with. Trust me, I spent 10 years in Vermont. Gets very cold there sometimes, and not just the climate.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:19 PM

185 posts, read 687,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
It is indeed an At_will employment state, but if you are a good employee, you need not worry about an untimely downsizing.

Water Moccasins, all over the place.... just learn from someone how to clean and roast them, they are delicious. THROW away THE HEAD!

Rude people, we have them too. Every place does. I hardly notice them, you won't either. Some go out of their way, but it's easier to feel pity than anything.
Yeah right.

The pay and benefits are great too!!

Employees are as disposable as toilet paper down here. It's not like NY.

Not discouraging your move, but decent pay, benefits and job security are not to be assumed here. Do your homework and get it in writing if you can.

They'll replace you with contracted workers, cut benefits or even your pay.

And of course you can be fired for no reason. Not laid off, fired for no reason.

Not saying these things will happen, just saying they could.

I had my cable installed in two homes. Both times Bright House sent guys in generic trucks. Contract workers. First time I sent the guy away because he was too stupid and they sent an actual Bright House employee.

Second time he was great, but he wasn't an actual employee he was a contract employee doing a bright house cable guys job, undoubtedly for less money.

I advise you get your job conditions secured before you move.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida