Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 PM

38 posts, read 53,764 times

Advertisements

Hello there. New to this site and would appreciate any help you can offer!

Thinking of relocating to Florida from Long Island in the next year . We are in our upper-30's and have 2 young children (3 and 6). We are not set on east or west coast (feeling like west is calling us and we get a better vibe over there - but that could be bc we were on vacation???).

Like everyone else, here is what would be ideal:
(keep in mind we will rent 1 year before purchasing to ensure we love it)

- Excellent schools
-Safe, clean, quiet neighborhood
- Community feel (Non-transient), ample activities for children & families
-Home Budget $250,000 - $350,000 - possible gated community
-15 - 30 minutes from beach (on it would be ideal but not with my budget!)
-Low crime
-Love outdoor activities, boating, beach, sun, nature
-Close to shopping, malls, restaurants

(Keep in mind we work from home so job opportunities are not really a factor for us, however we want to be in an area with working professionals as we utilize networking for our business) ,

Can anyone suggest such areas to research and check out?

Thank you so much in advance! I am super excited about this but very scared as I will be leaving my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 11:20 PM

242 posts, read 346,345 times
This place does exist -- it's called Heaven.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinergirl View Post
Hello there. New to this site and would appreciate any help you can offer!

Thinking of relocating to Florida from Long Island in the next year . We are in our upper-30's and have 2 young children (3 and 6). We are not set on east or west coast (feeling like west is calling us and we get a better vibe over there - but that could be bc we were on vacation???).

Like everyone else, here is what would be ideal:
(keep in mind we will rent 1 year before purchasing to ensure we love it)

- Excellent schools
-Safe, clean, quiet neighborhood
- Community feel (Non-transient), ample activities for children & families
-Home Budget $250,000 - $350,000 - possible gated community
-15 - 30 minutes from beach (on it would be ideal but not with my budget!)
-Low crime
-Love outdoor activities, boating, beach, sun, nature
-Close to shopping, malls, restaurants

(Keep in mind we work from home so job opportunities are not really a factor for us, however we want to be in an area with working professionals as we utilize networking for our business) ,

Can anyone suggest such areas to research and check out?

Thank you so much in advance! I am super excited about this but very scared as I will be leaving my family.
Check out the Palm Harbor/East Lake area NW of Tampa. It nails all of your criteria and is a very desirable area for young families.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
My husband and I have been researching a year now on our move. We also are torn between east vs west coast as there are plus and minus with each. We are pretty similar on what were looking for though. For the west coast we are looking at tampa bay, sarasota (beautiful town, lots for us to do) and englewood/venice though that might not be right for you, as they are smaller towns but not far from good shopping. East coast we really love vero beach, port saint lucie areas. All would be fairly close to the beaches.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Palm city/Stuart. As a longtime NJ coastal resident who spent the first few years of my retirement looking at both coasts, I can recommend Martin County with a good deal of confidence. As a retiree there are many more choices, but family and school wise, Martin wins.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM

38 posts, read 53,764 times
Thank you for your responses!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Get the job. Do that first. You might end up in Jacksonville, Tampa, or Miami area. Once you get the job, find the neighborhood.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 PM

DO NOT MOVE HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE A 6 FIGURE INCOME, NO CRAZY KIDS AND YOU RESPECT THE LOCALS FIRST !!!!

To People Who Want to Move to Florida!

Welcome To Florida

Old 04-19-2015, 10:27 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Cooper City
Jupiter
Port Orange
Satellite Beach
Merritt Island
Viera

Old 04-19-2015, 10:46 PM

FLORIDA IS FULL. Try Arizona or ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida