Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:23 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,224,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
They have a method and have been using it since 1990 in Dade county. It is still there after all these years. If someone doesn't like it they can challenge it I guess. I doubt few if any would spend maybe tens of thousands on legal fees though.

Sec. 5-17.1. Definition and identification of a pit bull dog.
(a) The term "pit bull dog" as used within this article shall refer to any dog which exhibits those distinguishing characteristics which:
(1) Substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club for American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers; or
(2) Substantially conform to the standards established by the United Kennel Club for American Pit Bull Terriers.
(b) The Standards of the American Kennel Club and the United Kennel Club referred to in subsection (a) above, are attached hereto and incorporated herein by reference as "Exhibit A" and shall remain on file with the Animal Services Division of the Public Works Department of Miami-Dade County.
(c) Technical deficiencies in the dogs' conformance to the standards described in subsection (b) shall not be construed to indicate that the subject dog is not a "pit bull dog" under this article.
(d) Testimony by a veterinarian, zoologist, animal behaviorist, or animal control officer that a particular dog exhibits distinguishing physical characteristics of a pit bull shall establish a rebuttable presumption that the dog is a pit bull.
(Ord. No. 89-22, § 3, 4-4-89)
Are "pit bull" dogs banned in Dade? Since the statute prohibits breed-specific bans, do they get around it by using "pit bull", which is not a breed?

You're right, a lawsuit would be very costly. Tens of thousands of dollars is not an overstatement. I'm surprised that it hasn't been challenged, though, as it would set a legal precedent that could be used in other cases. Maybe that's why it hasn't been challenged- if they lost, that precedent could work against them in future challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM

37 posts, read 134,600 times
Ok I read the first few posts and the last couple (I really don't have the time to look through all the posts and read the laws and everything) But this is plainly wrong. The Florida government cannot control what kinds of dogs people want to own and breed. A pit bull is Not a Komodo Dragon for heaven's sake! If Florida wanted to do something useful, they would work on cutting property taxes, not restricting dog breeds. I personally don't own any large dogs, but I may in the future, and I'm not an insane PETA activist or anything, But dogs are just dogs...The percent of dogs who attack people is so minimal that it is drowned out by everything else that happens; Criminals, auto accidents, bank robberies...I mean, Come on, focus on fixing those problems...Don't try to take away dog ownership rights just to make it look like you're doing something that actually benefits people...That's like taking away the right to bear arms!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

3,567 posts, read 3,737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateandmusic View Post
Ok I read the first few posts and the last couple (I really don't have the time to look through all the posts and read the laws and everything) But this is plainly wrong. The Florida government cannot control what kinds of dogs people want to own and breed. A pit bull is Not a Komodo Dragon for heaven's sake! If Florida wanted to do something useful, they would work on cutting property taxes, not restricting dog breeds. I personally don't own any large dogs, but I may in the future, and I'm not an insane PETA activist or anything, But dogs are just dogs...The percent of dogs who attack people is so minimal that it is drowned out by everything else that happens; Criminals, auto accidents, bank robberies...I mean, Come on, focus on fixing those problems...Don't try to take away dog ownership rights just to make it look like you're doing something that actually benefits people...That's like taking away the right to bear arms!
Snaps 4 you!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,198,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateandmusic View Post
It has been done for almost 20 years. Right or wrong they have very little support beyond a small group of militant dog owners. I doubt you could find one politician who would want to come down on the sides of the dogs and it is understandable. The dog breeders and owners have made their bed and now must sleep in it. Just do a google search for pit bull breeders. You won't find any breeders that tout their dogs as wonderful friendly family pets, great with kids and a pleasure to own.

They instead show images of mean dogs with collars and chains that look more suitable for a lion. They give then names like, Satin, Chopper, Jaws, Mauler and so on. They are the ones who have created this image themselves so what are people supposed to think? Thats just the way it is and like it or not. I would bet anything would pass as long as it has the term "Pit bull" in it.

The dog owners shot themselves in the foot years ago with their attitudes and public perceptions they created and now have to live with it. I just looked at a breeders website a few minutes ago that has a male for stud and touts it as able to produce world class "Bad A$$" pups. Case closed, the public is sick of them.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,737,357 times
Good point -

your argument shows the exact bad breeders/owners that good owners want to abolish also.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times
Quote:
I was almost attacked by a Pit Bull once, good thing I'm athletic and was a fast runner or otherwise I would have been ****ed up badly from that vicious dog.
And that statement alone proves the dog wasn't a man killer or viscious dog, but simply a dog that was neglected by owners who refused to confine it. Dogs can run faster than humans, even 'athletic' humans. If it wanted you for breakfast you wouldn't be here now spouting lies about them.

Quote:
Funny thing. The fact that Poodles and Ausies and Labs and Poms and all the other good dogs by nature.......is it the owners fault that they bought or bred "good" dogs?
Another false statement. Poodles are actually one of the most common breeds of dogs that bite. And the lady that just had the first succesful face transplant? Her face was bitten off by her beloved pet lab. There is no such thing as a breed of dog that doesn't bite. And unfortunately there is no such thing as a breed of dog that hasn't been plagued by BYB's that are destroying what the breed actually is. And there is no such thing as a breed that hasn't had lousy owners turning what should be a well behaved and well socialized dog into a potential bite statistic.

Quote:
If we would all just adopt mutts from an animal shelter.....
I've seen labs labeled by AC officers and vet techs alike as pits. Even mutts can get labeled as pits, so that doesn't really help either.

Quote:
I wonder if the DNA tracking that the AKC is doing would help... or hinder.
In some cases it can help, but few people are able to do that financially. And not every breed has their DNA entered thus far, so if you have a breed that's not in the top of the charts popularity wise it may not help.

Quote:
Just do a google search for pit bull breeders. You won't find any breeders that tout their dogs as wonderful friendly family pets, great with kids and a pleasure to own. They instead show images of mean dogs with collars and chains that look more suitable for a lion. They give then names like, Satin, Chopper, Jaws, Mauler and so on. They are the ones who have created this image themselves so what are people supposed to think? The dog owners shot themselves in the foot years ago with their attitudes and public perceptions they created and now have to live with it. I just looked at a breeders website a few minutes ago that has a male for stud and touts it as able to produce world class "Bad A$$" pups. Case closed, the public is sick of them.
That's because you aren't looking at breeders, you're looking at puppy mills and back yard breeders. And they are a major reason why we have the problems in this country that we do. I know plenty people that breed pits of all kinds and breed them for the wonderful temperment they have. Pits used to be known as 'nanny dogs' because of their dedication to children. Of course that info and the fact that the vast majority of these dogs still carry that temperment doesn't sell newspapers, so it doesn't make it to the media.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:19 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,198,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
Good point -

your argument shows the exact bad breeders/owners that good owners want to abolish also.
I owned pit bulls before a lot of people here were even born. People didn't even know what they were back then, just they looked like the dog in "The Little Rascals". All the stigma that is now attached is here to stay like it or not and will never change. I am afraid perception, when it comes to the public is, reality.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Are "pit bull" dogs banned in Dade? Since the statute prohibits breed-specific bans, do they get around it by using "pit bull", which is not a breed?

You're right, a lawsuit would be very costly. Tens of thousands of dollars is not an overstatement. I'm surprised that it hasn't been challenged, though, as it would set a legal precedent that could be used in other cases. Maybe that's why it hasn't been challenged- if they lost, that precedent could work against them in future challenges.
When it was legal to enact BSL in Florida, Miami-Dade banned "pit bulls" (American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, any mixes of these breeds, and any dog that looks like it could possibly be one of these breeds or a mix of one of these breeds ). Then, when the law was passed that nothing breed-specific could be enacted in Florida, the cities/ counties that already had bans, or other forms of BSL, like Miami/ Dade, were grandfathered in.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times
As to the 'breeders' that don't sell good pits, I've found several sites that have them listed and none have anything to do with 'bad *****' dogs. I've deleted any info that could give specific info and hope that this post doesn't get deleted. Just wanted to show that there are plenty breeders out there that don't breed like idiots.

Just for the record, I by no way endorse any breeders listed below and did not pick them for any specific reason other than order listed on the website I found. Personally, I have serious issues with 98% of the breeding that goes on, so I'm not touting anyone breeder. Just wanted to show that they aren't bred by responsible breeders as bad dogs.

*AWESOME UPCOMING BREEDING* Check our website - *************** is a small kennel located just outside of ***********. We have been raising, showing, and training our American Bulldogs for almost 6 years. All of our dogs have been carefully selected from what we believe to be the best bloodlines available, We do not have litters available often, as we are NOT a puppy mill. We believe in breeding Bulldogs that will better our breed, our puppies will have a "sound body and mind" Both Sire and Dam are titled "working' dogs as we believe they should be. All of our dogs are tested both physically and mentally. Puppies will be well socialized, and come with a health guarantee. Can email pedigree and more information on request..

We are a small family run kennel located within minutes of ***********.Our dogs have excellent pedigrees and temperments. They live in the house and are part of our family. We have an American Bulldog litter coming up that is due in *Sept. 07*. You can check out our website for more info.The puppies are expected to be large and bully. We will be rasing ABs as well Olde English Bulldogge.

Located in ********* and specializing in the working American Bulldog. Puppies available occassionally to the pet, working, or show home. Our pups are raised with children and lots of TLC, they are well socialized. We have 2 litters coming in January 2007. Both of these are repeat breedings, email for pics of previous litters. Pups will be registered and have up to date shots and wormings. Parents are IWPA titled and on premises. For more info please visit our website.

************** & *********** JUST HAD SWEET AMERICAN BULL PUPS...NKC ..1500.00+SHIPING.BIG AND BULLY

UPDATE 1/10/08**************** PUPPIES DUE IN 3 WEEKS FEB 6th, 2008*** ************* Call NOW to hold your PUPPY or to place a $200.00 non-refundable deposit for the upcoming litters!!! YOU RECEIVE WITH YOUR PUPPY: ~Health Guarantee ~NKC Registration Papers (6 Generations) ~All Shots Up to date ~Health & Vet Certificate from our Veterinarian ~Puppy Packet with training advice ~Sample food packet ~Well socialized puppy ~Lifelong support ~Best Friend for Life **Shipping available**Between $230-$275**We can ship to most cities. When emailing please send me the closest airport to you!! You can check out more info, pictures and past litters on our website at *******************

Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
Did you ever hear anything about this proposal???
I've been in Fl. since 90 and never heard such a thing. Did you hear about it anywhere else, either?
Originally a friend of mine on City-Data sent my the link to a thread in a Texas forum that was talking about this bill. It said that if it happens in Florida it could just as easily happen in Texas. So, after I saw that I started to look around on the internet for more info, and all I could find was what I posted, from that other forum. I'm going to make some phone calls today and see if I can find some more info. I'll keep everyone updated on what I find out, and if anyone finds any more info on this, please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: