Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in Florida because: houses cost half of what they cost in the DC metro area, I work from home and my wife is a teacher (can work anywhere), the cost of living is significantly less, our house is 300 meters from the beach, our youngest kid graduated from highs school, the DC area has the worst traffic in the nation. Do we need any more reasons to move?

We don't expect to have a similar garden in Florida as we had in Virginia. We couldn't grow orchids outside, didn't have palms, bougainvillea or agaves in the yard. And in Virginia we could never think about growing avocados, papaya, banana or brougmansia. The
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
This poster has some type of agenda against you guys. Its very common for some natives to have these random outbursts of posts saying how they don't like how Florida is changing which is code word for more moderate in politics instead of looking at some the positive contributions new growth brings to the economy.
As usual, your post makes no sense! But since you brought it up, tell me what my agenda is?

As far as random outbursts, we have yet to prove Sanchez8 is a native since he has failed to indicate one way or the other.

New Growth is the wave of the future, for as the population of the USA continues to grow, people are going to continue to relocate to where they want and for now that seems to be Florida. After all, everyone can't be housed in the North East

Old 07-22-2015, 06:21 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
No, actually it would require a majority vote of the citizens of the state. I dont know anyone who would cast a vote for a state income tax in FL.
True, so I'll rephrase that. It would take a majority progressive population of like-minded individuals to realize that not having a state income tax will create issues with funding for public schools and infrastructure as already evidenced by ongoing budget cuts in both categories (among others). However given the deadbeat elected officials Floridians have proven adept at voting into office who withhold funding for working Floridians, the elderly and children while maintaining a 15 billion budget surplus...it doesn't appear likely funding changes will occur anytime soon either.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:12 AM

109 posts, read 162,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
True, so I'll rephrase that. It would take a majority progressive population of like-minded individuals to realize that not having a state income tax will create issues with funding for public schools and infrastructure as already evidenced by ongoing budget cuts in both categories (among others). However given the deadbeat elected officials Floridians have proven adept at voting into office who withhold funding for working Floridians, the elderly and children while maintaining a 15 billion budget surplus...it doesn't appear likely funding changes will occur anytime soon either.
Thats what they do, northerners are like locusts, they will ruin everything they touch (NC, TX, AZ etc) just look at those forums, people arent happen about them either. They just leave their homeland states in ruins due to their own voting patterns, etc and come to the next place

Old 07-24-2015, 07:23 AM

264 posts, read 229,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
Thats what they do, northerners are like locusts, they will ruin everything they touch (NC, TX, AZ etc) just look at those forums, people arent happen about them either. They just leave their homeland states in ruins due to their own voting patterns, etc and come to the next place
Funny you say that considering us northern "locusts" as you call us, have some of the best schools and quality of life in the nation but don't let that cloud your judgment or anything. When we move down there, I will certainly be one to help get Gov. Voldemort kicked out of office. The man is a criminal anyway and it's beyond me how he even got elected to a great state like FL.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpotterfan77 View Post
Funny you say that considering us northern "locusts" as you call us, have some of the best schools and quality of life in the nation but don't let that cloud your judgment or anything
If it was so great you wouldnt be flocking here in DROVESS.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:44 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
I've often wondered why the native Floridians seem to hate "Yankees". They're happy to take their money, though.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I've often wondered why the native Floridians seem to hate "Yankees". They're happy to take their money, though.
Thus lies the problem and outlines my original post and I am glad you brought this up. The money coming down is "tourists" and "retiree" money, it doesnt really provide a sustainable growth model like you see in places like Texas, Cali and even NYC. That is why there are so many low paying jobs here. Instead of bringing your old "money" why dont you bring some innovation...well you cant because you spend your entire life in NY making that money using all your skills.

Also, please name a native Floridian that enjoys seeing their home state turn into parking lots and starbucks...

Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Florida has always been a strong draw for the retirement crowd as older people prefer the less harsh winters and of course the beaches,i'm sure a vast majority of Floridians came from up north or can trace their lineage to those of their families that did come from up north the main reason being the weather,the beaches or just thinking it to be a nice place to retire. its still happening today just like it always did only now its in larger numbers because the general population has grown,
No sense complaining about people moving to Florida as it is what it is,a place with warm weather and beaches ,very conducive conditions to the retirement and tourist crowd and the financial infrastructure that goes into supporting that demographic..

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM

264 posts, read 229,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez8 View Post
If it was so great you wouldnt be flocking here in DROVESS.
The reason we come in "droves" is because the cost of living is lower and the weather is nicer. Me, I happen to have family down there and I have personally had it with the winters, snow and ice and will trade for the sweltering summer heat any day. My job is not in tourism or the like but banking and I am pretty far from retirement. I will not need the schools so much when I get down there as my kids will be high school age and I find elementary and middle school more important which they have currently up here. The droves you speak of are either retirees or people that don't have the intelligence to do their research first. I have done extensive research and based where we will be settling on that research as well as the fact that my sister is in the same area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida